Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may never add things more common on other brands. Apple doesn’t add things that Android can do and vice versa.
We're off the rails here but on your second point:

Like a fingerprint unlock (Android did it first), facial recognition unlock (ditto Android), front camera notch (Android), wireless charging (Nokia IIRC then Android phones/Qi standards)? Apple has of course iterated and adopted features and designs popularized elsewhere, the inverse is also true.

If Tesla aren't watching and learning from competitors, like everyone else, their lunch will eventually get packed by those competitors.

If Tesla aren't watching and learning from competitors, like everyone else, their lunch will eventually get packed by those competitors.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Completion will force them to do something.

I don’t mind that much as I knew what I was getting into with Tesla and the Y. I’m hoping that in a couple of years they’ll be more choice or Tesla have upped their quality and at some point put more work or options into their vehicles. I like having a dynamic suspension option on cars. Some days I want a casual drive and other days a spirited drive. I don’t think the suspension sucks, I think it is what it is however, Tesla could have added an upgrade option for us to spec. I’ll happily have paid for it if it was a choice as well as a screen or HUD option.

I agree. Completion will force them to do something.

I don’t mind that much as I knew what I was getting into with Tesla and the Y. I’m hoping that in a couple of years they’ll be more choice or Tesla have upped their quality and at some point put more work or options into their vehicles. I like having a dynamic suspension option on cars. Some days I want a casual drive and other days a spirited drive. I don’t think the suspension sucks, I think it is what it is however, Tesla could have added an upgrade option for us to spec. I’ll happily have paid for it if it was a choice as well as a screen or HUD option.
[/QUOTE]
+1 on an adjustable suspension option. Would love it if Tesla would push some of the X features down as optional upgrades on the Y, air suspension being top of that upgrade list.

Meh, I don't ever see an end to this. It doesn't matter if Tesla brings out a dynamic suspension or air ride etc. Someone who buys a car and then complains about it after will always find something they don't like. If it's not the ride, it will be the media system, or some other thing. I simply don't understand how you can feign outrage about something you tested first and then decided to buy...and if you didn't test drive first, that's still on you. It's not Tesla's fault that their suspension sucks so bad. That's subjective and plenty of people disagree and think it's fine. It's your fault for not doing your due diligence to evaluate the car prior to purchase to ensure you would be happy with its characteristics.

Meh, I don't ever see an end to this. It doesn't matter if Tesla brings out a dynamic suspension or air ride etc. Someone who buys a car and then complains about it after will always find something they don't like. If it's not the ride, it will be the media system, or some other thing. I simply don't understand how you can feign outrage about something you tested first and then decided to buy...and if you didn't test drive first, that's still on you. It's not Tesla's fault that their suspension sucks so bad. That's subjective and plenty of people disagree and think it's fine. It's your fault for not doing your due diligence to evaluate the car prior to purchase to ensure you would be happy with its characteristics.
Totally agree. I picked up my MYP Saturday, and I have zero issues with the suspension. Prior to ordering, I was only able to drive a MYLR, but I ordered the MYP.

Zero noise or rattles, and it handles like its' on rails. I do not find the ride on the 21" wheels with Michelin A/S tires rough at all. Granted I've had a few rough riding sports cars in the past, so maybe my expectations are different. My wife's 2021 Audi Q5 rides worse over bad pavement than my MYP!

ddd
Not sure I see a lot of "outrage" here but your point regarding the subjectivity of it is valid.

Totally agree. I picked up my MYP Saturday, and I have zero issues with the suspension. Prior to ordering, I was only able to drive a MYLR, but I ordered the MYP.

Zero noise or rattles, and it handles like its' on rails. I do not find the ride on the 21" wheels with Michelin A/S tires rough at all. Granted I've had a few rough riding sports cars in the past, so maybe my expectations are different. My wife's 2021 Audi Q5 rides worse over bad pavement than my MYP!
Prior experience is a huge factor. If you come from a luxury car background you will find the suspension in the MYP rough, if you come from a Mitsubishi EVO, or a Miata with a full race suspension installed (my last ICE car) you will not be bothered by the MYP. I liked the adjustability of my Miata setup, that is one of the reasons I will go with an adjustable coilover setup this spring in the MYP.

Keith

Reactions: csrpenfab
Came from M3’s so harsh ride not surprising. I did like the select-ability of different modes like “Track” however in my last sport SUV “Trackhawk” and others i test drove its hard to get away from taking big tall heavy truck and trying to make it behave like a sports car is going to requires some stiffness. Then add 35 tires on 21s. Since i wasnt surprised i wasnt disappointed.

The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels
Why do so many people not test drive a car and then complain about the ride quality once they get it? Just curious. I test drove mine and it was delivered and drives just like the test drive.

If you don't like the ride quality there are about a thousand other cars you could have bought. Just saying. The complaints are just crazy.

• Disagree
Reactions: Noflash and WhiteWi
Why do so many people not test drive a car and then complain about the ride quality once they get it? Just curious. I test drove mine and it was delivered and drives just like the test drive.

If you don't like the ride quality there are about a thousand other cars you could have bought. Just saying. The complaints are just crazy.
With all due respect, you don't get to gatekeep anyones opinion regarding how they feel about the car and its suspension. You do you.

Reactions: John in LB
Look. Tesla suspension does not suck. It may not be what YOU might want on your farm tractor or speed boat or some other form of transportation you may have, but on the Tesla car, it does what it's supposed to do, and this opinion is based on FOUR Teslas driven over 250,000 miles. I don't know just what you drive now, but my brother in law came to visit in his diesel Mercedes. He had to take me for a drive, and we drove into ditches and across plowed fields to prove the superiority of his ride. Somehow, he must have thought that we didn't have roads here in California, but we do, and I use them. I hope he's happy driving in the dirt, but I like driving on freeways. I've even paved my driveway! And my suspension is just fine, thank you.

The stiffest suspension I've ever dealt with, in owning about a dozen vehicles. Perhaps spoiled by smooth and lush drive of my Odyssey. 2013 Model S (not air suspension) doesn't have this problem. Model 3 is also the funnest to drive.

Last edited:
That's stupid, I don't need fancy air suspension. I have driven bmw and they're firm but still smooth. Tesla suspension are like cheap rough one that people put in their old Honda civic. My vw golf has better suspension. I am not asking for much. Just wondering why their engineer think this is a good set up. The car is of glass and the rough suspension causes to vibrate a lot. I would think they would tune it better.

MYP has the worst suspension i’ve ever experienced and it’s not necessarily the harshness or the stiffness aspect as it’s the total lack of refinement: absolute zero, comparable to a horse carriage. I’ve driven a lot of different cars, with plush suspension (Lincoln, 7 series, Cady, etc) to sports suspension (E63S AMG, G35) and a lot of others in between and I’m totally shocked at the poor quality of the suspension in MYP. I bought the car because the positives outweighted the negatives in my opinion however, the lack of a heads-up display is a blatant miss on Elon’s side who otherwise is a genius and has my full admiration,

Oh, really? And why is that?

Competition forces innovation and building better products. With the bigger brands entering the market will impact sales for Tesla. So they may need to offer more and/or improve their quality.

Have you followed the posts in the US? My friend lives in Cali - I lived their for years and seen a lot of Teslas - and the build quality is hit and miss on some of their cars.

I’ve test driven Kia EV6 and checked out the Polestar and the fit and finish is excellent but their overall tech is far behind Tesla. But it won’t take them long to catch up.

Not withstanding I’ve picked up my Y and I’m impressed with the fit and finish and quality of materials. but it needs to go to the SC to sort some issues. Not a perfect experience for a £60k car but I’m in no way disappointed as the car is fantastic as is the customer service has been excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: smilepak
bought the car because the positives outweighted the negatives in my opinion however, the lack of a heads-up display is a blatant miss on Elon’s side who otherwise is a genius and has my full admiration,
[/QUOTE]

I would have liked a HUD for my Y. However, the things that knew were not available didn’t stop us from buying. However, the suspension is okay for me even with the dreadful potholes, poor condition of the roads in Glasgow.