Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because currently buying another car is not a viable option. Sure I can sell my car for a good price, but I still need something to drive. Other EVs are a comparable price, have $15k dealer markups and may not be available anyway. The other option is to go back to an ICE car which I would prefer not to do. Those are in short supply, too. (A friend was looking at getting a pickup truck from a local Ford dealer. They had several on the lot but they all required a "qualifying trade in." Essentially, the dealer would only sell you a new truck if you had a used truck that they could replace it with. Crazy.)

I'm considering getting the UPP/MPP coil overs to see if they help, but spending $2500+ to make the suspension reasonable on a $65k car is maddening to say the least. It also baffles me how many people bend over backwards to make excuses for Tesla just because they're Tesla. They've been pioneers and done amazing things for the EV market, but they shouldn't get a free pass because of it. As @Benq said above, though, the EV market is chaining rapidly. I suspect in a few years there will be many more good options and Tesla will have significant competition.

Despite my complaints, there are many things I love about my model Y and in most respects it fits my needs very well. The new interface and the suspension are significant downers, though. Right now, Tesla is still probably the best EV on the market, even with the flaws and taking it all into account my best option is probably to bite the bullet and get the coil overs.
Most EVs currently available will cost more or are not really available than Tesla. The model X and S have air suspension, but that is probably out of your budget range.

And if it not a Tesla, where will you charge on a long trip (Tesla will open their chargers to others in the future)? Spending another $2500 to $5000, while not free, will improve your comfort level. Compare that to any losses of selling one car and buying another. As much as I wish my MY had the comfort built in, sometimes you just need to spend a little more (Coilovers) to get what you want.

It also baffles me how many people bend over backwards to make excuses for Tesla just because they're Tesla. They've been pioneers and done amazing things for the EV market, but they shouldn't get a free pass because of it.
Here lays the problem. YOU think that people are bending over backwards and you think the suspension sucks. You think they are getting a free pass. That is you. While you are entitled to your opinion so are others and for others (or maybe just I will speak for myself) don’t think the suspension sucks at all. It rides just how I would want a PERFORMANCE small SUV to ride and handle. If I wanted a luxury SUV that drove and handled like it was on a cloud then I would have bought one. This car handles just perfect for what it is supposed to be. I don’t plan on driving my Honda Odyssey mini van (I don’t actually own one using this as the example was used above comparing it to a Y) on twisty roads, carving canyons and hitting the go pedal to get to 60 mph in 3 seconds.

I think you just bought the wrong car for your needs and with that just because YOUR OPINION is that it sucks doesn’t mean that it actually sucks and Tesla should figure out a way to fix something that isn’t broken. Also does not mean that those of us that actually like the performance of the car are “letting them off the hook or bending backwards”.

Just my opinion of course.

sleepydoc: You're making it worse. Your inconvenience isn't anyone's problem except yours. It isn't Tesla's "fault" that they've sold a gazillion MYs that a few/some/several/many/all owners (take your pick...I'll choose "a few") are uncomfortable with.

If you're stuck with your MY, because of your own circumstances, and if you can tolerate the expense, swallow hard and buy the MPP coilovers, and maybe your next tires upsize to a 50 aspect ratio tire. The MPPs are quite impressive, with a major improvement in overall control, and some muting of road surface harshness. I am pleased with the (YES, it's EXPENSIVE...we get it...) upgrade.

I still am annoyed by large concrete imperfections, but seriously, it's not significantly more harsh than our Buick-tuned 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited (on 45 aspect ratio tires, as well...to be changed to 50s)
Can I ask how much it cost to get your coil overs installed? When I looked at the options I saw Unplugged Performance ($2500 but backordered), Mountain Pass performance ($3000) and Redwood Motorsports $3850.

I currently have the 19" Gemini wheels 255/45R19. (So glad I didn't get the 20" wheels) What wheels did you come from and how much of a difference did you notice?

Large concrete imperfections are unavoidable and I don't expect to 'ride on a cloud,' but I'd like to mute the spine-rattling ride that I have now.

Sleepydoc: (fyi, I'm at 24k miles, with 15k miles on the MPPs) I'm on the OEM Gemini (Apollo) wheels, OEM ContiProContacts...which, I might add, have possibly softened up a bit, with time. I just don't notice the harshness anymore, unless of course my "butt dyno" has softened!!!!

I paid $850 for installation and alignment. My guys got it right the first time, and no followup alignment was necessary. Still tracking straight as an arrow, even tire tread wear, which really please me. The standard installation is actually at 1/2" drop, IIRC, but you can talk directly with Jesse at MPP if you want to be fully informed. MPP= GREAT customer service.

Installation costs are regionally dependent, of course. Is there a local Tesla club in Minneapolis? There's nothing special about a MY suspension, but as with any suspension work, getting it done right is important.

Good luck. Post back if/when you get it done. There's also an "MPP Numbers Only" thread I started a while back, might be helpful for your initial dialed-in settings.

@sleepydoc I think you are going down a rabbit hole here. If you are trying to chase a better ride you are going to spend money and still be dissapointed.

I have owned probably 20+ cars. Many of them modified so I am coming with a little experience. Changing to coilovers isn't going to miraculously make your ride all of a sudden that much softer/better. It just isn't. If you are that unhappy with the ride you are far better off just dealing with it, going to even a smaller wheel if you can fit 18's or cut your losses and get out of the car.

Going and spending $3500+ to chase a better riding car just isn't going to happen. Your money so do what you want but I assure you it isn't going to be something you are completely happy with when finished.

See post #205. doing2drt, while I disagree with your comment, the caution behind your comment is valid.

I was on the edge about keeping my MY, but after the MPPs, suspension issues just aren't front-and-center any more. The quality of ride/handling improvement, road manners, was better than I expected...fyi, I'm 67, owned 20+ cars as well, several modified, and this upgrade ranks at the very top.

Of course, like you, goin2drt, I'm a single data point.

@sleepydoc - Please don't buy the coilovers. I don't think you will be happy. On the MPP thread, it is people who liked their car and wanted a little more comfort, to lower it, or to have ability to make adjustments. I don't know of anyone who hated the car the way you do that installed them and then loved it. You seem to need a different car altogether - and one that you can test drive first this time.

I have been driving a X3 for 6 years, and recently tried Ioniq 5 before getting the MY with 19" wheels.

MY does feel quite a bit harsher than the X3 and the Ioniq 5. I do wish if it was a bit softer - if there was an option to have the suspension of Ioniq 5, I would have paid for it. I5 was very smooth without too much body tilt. Not sure how they pulled that off since I5 is even heavier.

Having said that, before I purchased the MY, I had a big spreadsheet with features I want from my next car with scores on each. At the end of the day, the MY won by a mile despite harsher ride which definitely earned big negative score on this sheet. On this sheet, I had all EVs available, including Ioniq 5, EV6, ID4, Audi eTron, and BMW iX. Even some plug-in hybrids from Lincoln and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

There are so many positive things to rave about for a first time Tesla owner. Believe it or not, even the v11 interface is a BIG improvement over what I had, or even what I saw on competing products. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't experience the (better) v10 interface in some ways... lol.

Yes, I still feel the suspension is harsh, so the latest thing I'm trying is lowering the pressure to 40psi. So far, I like it better than when it was 42-43.

Since MPP is local, I may try it, perhaps. I'm still not convinced that it is worth it though.

I'm also looking into potentially getting 18" wheels, which some claim will improve ride quite a bit. Cheaper tires too, which may end up costing me less over time.

At the same time, I'm slowing getting used to the current setup, so in time, I may even get used to or even like it...

Reactions: mangrove79
I'm 67, owned 20+ cars as well, several modified, and this upgrade ranks at the very top.
I'm about the same age, and I bought my MY LR with FSD as my forever car, since I either will be dead and gone, or not able to drive myself (Come on FSD!) as I get to some advanced age before the car is antiquated or dead.

I have not yet been able to add some coilovers for my wife's (mostly) and my extra comfort, but will be adding them soon. While all 3 companies are relatively good with their phone or email support (my experience), it seems MPP is best in that respect. However, I'll probably be going with Redwoods, unless a better one comes out before my purchase.

I can't imagine that the Y will ride any harsher than my old Challenger ScatPack on 20's. It was pretty comfortable by my standards, but it would get a bit jittery over expansion gaps on the freeway. Either way, looking forward to it, and if its no good, I'll get the UPP suspension kit and possibly the sway bar

I actually like the way our Model Y rides. It handles great in my opinion.

Here lays the problem. YOU think that people are bending over backwards and you think the suspension sucks. You think they are getting a free pass. That is you. While you are entitled to your opinion so are others and for others (or maybe just I will speak for myself) don’t think the suspension sucks at all. It rides just how I would want a PERFORMANCE small SUV to ride and handle. If I wanted a luxury SUV that drove and handled like it was on a cloud then I would have bought one. This car handles just perfect for what it is supposed to be. I don’t plan on driving my Honda Odyssey mini van (I don’t actually own one using this as the example was used above comparing it to a Y) on twisty roads, carving canyons and hitting the go pedal to get to 60 mph in 3 seconds.

I think you just bought the wrong car for your needs and with that just because YOUR OPINION is that it sucks doesn’t mean that it actually sucks and Tesla should figure out a way to fix something that isn’t broken. Also does not mean that those of us that actually like the performance of the car are “letting them off the hook or bending backwards”.

Just my opinion of course.
The Model Y and Model 3 are widely regarded as having very harsh rides. I don't have a problem with you being happy with the suspension - you're completely correct in that comfort is a subjective opinion. Where I disagree is the people who say there's no way the suspension could be better or that it's perfect.

I actually like the way our Model Y rides. It handles great in my opinion.
Handling and ride are related but separate. I'm totally happy with the handling of my MY. Just not the ride. What I would really like is for it to resemble my A4. It handled well yet still managed to ride very well. It wasn't as heavy as the Y but at over 3600 pounds it wasn't exactly light, either.

Reactions: Destiny1701
@Pianewman , @Ruffles & @goin2drt thank you very much fo your opinions and advice. I don't actually hate my car. There's a lot that I really like about it, and I'm not unhappy with the ride on a reasonably smooth interstate surface. Unfortunately I frequently have occasion to ride on roads that have a lot of crack repairs and in MN winters frost heave turns them all in to miniature speed bumps and I feel like one of the balls in those popcorn popper toys that toddlers push around. My goal isn't to have a ride like a Lincoln Continental; just something closer to my A4.

As I said above, selling the car isn't an option at this point. so I have 4 options: learn to live with it. Upgrade the suspension, change the tires from a 45 to a 55 sidewall or do both options 2 & 3. From a cost perspective, replacing the wheels and tires will end up being about the same as getting a suspension upgrade from MPP or UPP. Ultimately I need to figure out if spending ~$3k on a suspension upgrade will improve the ride enough. And there's the rub. All I can do is wade through a bunch of subjective opinions and see if I can figure out whose opinions match mine.

1649819373772.png

The ride on the MY is more on the harsh side. Everyone will attest to that. However, with 19’s it’s a lot better than with the 21’s. But, Tesla is well aware of this. The ride quality is in no way a reason to hate the car. It’s manageable and not the end of the world once you come to terms with it.

Tesla has had documents leak recently that show patents/drawings for MY with air suspension. Air suspension will no doubt be coming to the next iteration of the MY. This probably won’t happen anytime soon - but it’s in the works.

My theory is that when Tesla was designing the Model Y they always intended to have it with air suspension, but for whatever reason, they just used a similar coil suspension based off of (although adjusted for the added weight and stance of MY) the Model 3. This is a huge oversight yes, but not a deal breaker.
As others have posted above, the MY is more of a performance car than a luxury car. The suspension currently used fits the price point (or, at least it did when the MY was $15k cheaper).

Because currently buying another car is not a viable option. Sure I can sell my car for a good price, but I still need something to drive. Other EVs are a comparable price, have $15k dealer markups and may not be available anyway. The other option is to go back to an ICE car which I would prefer not to do. Those are in short supply, too. (A friend was looking at getting a pickup truck from a local Ford dealer. They had several on the lot but they all required a "qualifying trade in." Essentially, the dealer would only sell you a new truck if you had a used truck that they could replace it with. Crazy.)

I'm considering getting the UPP/MPP coil overs to see if they help, but spending $2500+ to make the suspension reasonable on a $65k car is maddening to say the least. It also baffles me how many people bend over backwards to make excuses for Tesla just because they're Tesla. They've been pioneers and done amazing things for the EV market, but they shouldn't get a free pass because of it. As @Benq said above, though, the EV market is chaining rapidly. I suspect in a few years there will be many more good options and Tesla will have significant competition.

Despite my complaints, there are many things I love about my model Y and in most respects it fits my needs very well. The new interface and the suspension are significant downers, though. Right now, Tesla is still probably the best EV on the market, even with the flaws and taking it all into account my best option is probably to bite the bullet and get the coil overs.
I agree with you. The other ev makers will catch up eventually. The fanbois never see anything wrong with Tesla. All cars have issues no matter the manufacturer. Everyone in is entitled to their own opinion and thoughts on these forums. Some people may be satisfied with the suspension while others are not. I am not satisfied with the suspension but like many other aspects of the car. People need to respect others opinions. At times on this forum people can be very harsh. When someone is harsh, I will just ignore their posts. This is very easy to do on this forum. You will never see their posts again.

I agree with you. The other ev makers will catch up eventually. The fanbois never see anything wrong with Tesla. All cars have issues no matter the manufacturer. Everyone in is entitled to their own opinion and thoughts on these forums. Some people may be satisfied with the suspension while others are not. I am not satisfied with the suspension but like many other aspects of the car. People need to respect others opinions. At times on this forum people can be very harsh. When someone is harsh, I will just ignore their posts. This is very easy to do on this forum. You will never see their posts again.
I don’t think it has anything to do with not respecting another’s opinions, rather it has more to do with constantly restating it. Make a change to try and improve it if it makes you feel better or move on, accepting others have a right to their own opinions too and that doesn’t make them “fanboys” or some other BS term. Either try and correct what you believe to be a problem or quit whining - yes, that’s what it becomes at some point.
And yes, I’d like a HUD, perfect suspension, and soft close doors but hey, that’s not the car I bought and maybe the next one will - but life will go on either way.

Last edited:
So far the only Air Suspension's that I have been really impressed with are coming out of the German Brands. If Tesla ever did come out with Air Suspension, they would do well to steal away some of those designers. My wife's Jeep GC on Air is good on the highway, but wallows horribly on city streets. Perhaps an upgraded sway bar would help, but it's likely because of the weight of the vehicle being so high above the suspension components. BEV's will have a much larger advantage over many ICE vehicles given the distribution and placement of weight.

So far the only Air Suspension's that I have been really impressed with are coming out of the German Brands. If Tesla ever did come out with Air Suspension, they would do well to steal away some of those designers. My wife's Jeep GC on Air is good on the highway, but wallows horribly on city streets. Perhaps an upgraded sway bar would help, but it's likely because of the weight of the vehicle being so high above the suspension components. BEV's will have a much larger advantage over many ICE vehicles given the distribution and placement of weight.
Have you driven an S/x? Their air suspensions are reportedly quite good. Tesla forewent them for cheaper traditional suspensions to save money in the 3 and Y.

Reactions: WhiteWi