Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different strokes for different folks. I find the suspension fine on my MYP.

But kind of strange to buy the car first then complain about the ride quality afterwards. Seems like a lack of due diligence. Should have done some more test drives or requested an overnight tester. There are plenty of alternatives that may have suited your needs.

In any event, good luck.
Ha. Not all of us live in a place where we have the opportunity to test drive. The Tesla stores I have been to while traveling don’t even have a Y there.

Ha. Not all of us live in a place where we have the opportunity to test drive. The Tesla stores I have been to while traveling don’t even have a Y there.
Also, the suspension is fine on good, smooth roads (i.e. when it really doesn't have any work to do,) it just can't handle any imperfections. As the road surface worsens, the ride worsens exponentially. The roads near the closest Tesla service center are all in very good shape so you would have to do some searching to find a stretch that would really tax the suspension.

This. When I drive my wife's Model S I feel like I'm in a luxury sedan that accelerates very fast. Driving my MYP feels like I'm in a very fast sports car that's a bit high and a bit heavy and alot of fun.
Your comment is perfect.
MYP is a fun, do anything utility. That happens to peel your face off.

I plan to eventually put UPP sway bars and skid plates on mine.
The problem is, no one expects a small crossover SUV to ride or handle like a sports car. I expected the MY to ride more like an X5 or Q5. (Tesla itself actually says nothing on the MY web page.)

Reactions: Noflash
Pretty gutsy to purchase a car without test driving it. Can't rely on magazine/online/Reddit reviews. Ride quality is way too subjective.
I will admit, driving a friends M3 is what prompted me to order MY so I did have a test drive of sorts. I just can’t believe that people are so willing to call out the OP for saying he/she is not happy with ride quality. There are so many things you learn months after purchase that are not found in test drives.

I too think the ride should be better. I’m still going to buy the car. The only reason Tesla does not address the issue is because they don’t need to with the demand, not because it’s not an issue. There are so many good things about the car that outweigh the ride issue that it is still a good purchase but that doesn’t mean the ride is great or not an issue.

Pretty gutsy to purchase a car without test driving it. Can't rely on magazine/online/Reddit reviews. Ride quality is way too subjective.

That's what we did. Never sat in one until a few months after I ordered ours.

No test drive ... well, until we picked ours up. We signed the papers, accepted the car on the app, figured out how to put it in drive, drove about a mile, merged onto on I-95 North in heavy traffic, and hauled butt through Jacksonville. Those first few minutes were ... educational.

Luckily, we love the way it drives and handles.

I will admit, driving a friends M3 is what prompted me to order MY so I did have a test drive of sorts. I just can’t believe that people are so willing to call out the OP for saying he/she is not happy with ride quality. There are so many things you learn months after purchase that are not found in test drives.

I too think the ride should be better. I’m still going to buy the car. The only reason Tesla does not address the issue is because they don’t need to with the demand, not because it’s not an issue. There are so many good things about the car that outweigh the ride issue that it is still a good purchase but that doesn’t mean the ride is great or not an issue.
Understood. Would be great if air suspension was offered as an option for the MY.

The model Y is a crossover, you would think they would put in a softer suspension for ride comfort. instead it's very hard and shallow. every road imperfection is felt through out the cabin. why doesn't tesla improve or use different suspensions supplier? i guess i'll just have to go after market *sigh*

i am on the gemini and it still sucks. i can't imagine daily driving with the performance 21" wheels
It’s very heavy and it has very quick acceleration and goes fast. Tradeoffs. If you want a smoother right get a model s.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Your comment is perfect.
MYP is a fun, do anything utility. That happens to peel your face off.

I plan to eventually put UPP sway bars and skid plates on mine.
Skidplates are an all around good idea. Swaybars... not so much because you'd be adding more spring rate w/o compensating damping. The dampers also already have too much low speed compression as is.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
It’s very heavy and it has very quick acceleration and goes fast. Tradeoffs. If you want a smoother right get a model s.
Your argument makes no sense either from the weight or the cost side. The Model S is actually heavier and faster than the Y. The Mach E tops out at over 4800 lbs, the Ioniq 5 weighs over 4400 lbs, and even the Audi Q5 weighs almost 4100 lbs yet all are cheaper and have better rides than the Model Y. Neither of the factors you mention are actual impediments.

Your argument makes no sense either from the weight or the cost side. The Model S is actually heavier and faster than the Y. The Mach E tops out at over 4800 lbs, the Ioniq 5 weighs over 4400 lbs, and even the Audi Q5 weighs almost 4100 lbs yet all are cheaper and have better rides than the Model Y. Neither of the factors you mention are actual impediments.
You forgot to say: “in my opinion those rides are better.”😉

Your argument makes no sense either from the weight or the cost side. The Model S is actually heavier and faster than the Y.

The Model S has air suspension.

The Mach E tops out at over 4800 lbs, the Ioniq 5 weighs over 4400 lbs, and even the Audi Q5 weighs almost 4100 lbs yet all are cheaper and have better rides than the Model Y. Neither of the factors you mention are actual impediments.

Better based on what? The model y also accelerates faster than any of those cars so the suspension is more rigid.

You forgot to say: “in my opinion those rides are better.”😉
Actually, the only one of them that I’ve driven is the Q5 and it definitely rides better. On the others (including the S) I’m going by reports but I’ve seen zero reports that the the Y rides better than any of them. The best I’ve seen is something to the effect of “the ride is smoother in the Mach E but I really don’t mind the ride in the Y’ If you can find an objective review saying the ride of the MY is better, I’m interesed to see it. (I did edit my post to clarify, though)

The Model S has air suspension.

Better based on what? The model y also accelerates faster than any of those cars so the suspension is more rigid.
See above.

MYLR 0-60: 4.8 seconds
Mustang Mach E 0-60: 4.2 seconds
Hyondai Ioniq 5: 4.4 seconds
Even the Q5 can do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

They are all in the same ball park. Again, your arguments don’t hold up.

Actually, the only one of them that I’ve driven is the Q5 and it definitely rides better. On the others (including the S) I’m going by reports but I’ve seen zero reports that the the Y rides better than any of them. The best I’ve seen is something to the effect of “the ride is smoother in the Mach E but I really don’t mind the ride in the Y’ If you can find an objective review saying the ride of the MY is better, I’m interesed to see it. (I did edit my post to clarify, though)

See above.

Nice play with numbers now try again harder. 🙄

• Funny
Reactions: goin2drt

See above.

Love how you pick and choose to help your narrative, just like CNN.

So you take the slower MY 0-60 to compare numbers to the faster model of the Mach - E
Mach - E straight from Ford's website.
0-60 MPH details for 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select
5.2 Seconds
Std. Range Battery and eAWD

Mach-E GT their fastest version is 3.5 seconds while the MYP is also 3.5 seconds. So actually in your comparison the Mach-E is slower.

Now again from Google on the Ioniq 5 you would be wrong as well - Here you go. "The Ioniq 5 with the long-range battery and rear-wheel drive can hit 60 mph in 7.4 seconds, though the much more powerful all-wheel-drive (AWD) version scoots to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, which is not far from the base Model Y's spec." - source insideevs

Again slower than the Y.

Didn't even google the Audi as I already proved my point.

Sadly your arguments don't hold up.