Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla take so long to ship a model s rear bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no suggestions for you other than to keep up the pressure.

To answer your other question, the reason they suck at parts availability is because they shoulder the expense of carrying inventory to customers by making them wait for parts to come in. At some point customers are going to complain enough to change this.

There are third party bumpers you can get very quickly. May be worth going that route, even if just temporarily.

@mackeymax When my car was rear-ended and had to go to a Tesla approved body shop for repair, the rear bumper was one of the longest lead items to get to complete the repair. The reality for big body parts is that Tesla is using them as soon as they get made on the production line. A big pile of spares are not sitting in a warehouse to be shipped out when needed by a body shop. So you end up waiting an excessive amount of time (compared to other auto manufacturers) for these parts. Tesla has been working to build up a spare parts inventory, but it is a problem with their just-in-time production model and the fact the Model S line has been shut down since last December doesn't help the situation. Unfortunately, rear and front bumpers are probably the most in-demand body parts required to repair cars from collisions and thus the longest wait times.

Wish I could give you an estimate, but my car was hit (and repaired) back in 2018 so any data I have is almost certainly woefully out of date.

I have no suggestions for you other than to keep up the pressure.

To answer your other question, the reason they suck at parts availability is because they shoulder the expense of carrying inventory to customers by making them wait for parts to come in. At some point customers are going to complain enough to change this.
thanks for the comment, maybe a bad yelp rating might get their attention??

• Funny
Reactions: doubleshot
There are third party bumpers you can get very quickly. May be worth going that route, even if just temporarily.

thanks for the link, if all else fails maybe...

@mackeymax When my car was rear-ended and had to go to a Tesla approved body shop for repair, the rear bumper was one of the longest lead items to get to complete the repair. The reality for big body parts is that Tesla is using them as soon as they get made on the production line. A big pile of spares are not sitting in a warehouse to be shipped out when needed by a body shop. So you end up waiting an excessive amount of time (compared to other auto manufacturers) for these parts. Tesla has been working to build up a spare parts inventory, but it is a problem with their just-in-time production model and the fact the Model S line has been shut down since last December doesn't help the situation. Unfortunately, rear and front bumpers are probably the most in-demand body parts required to repair cars from collisions and thus the longest wait times.

Wish I could give you an estimate, but my car was hit (and repaired) back in 2018 so any data I have is almost certainly woefully out of date.
may have to go outside the box if there is such a thing with tesla...

thanks for the comment, maybe a bad yelp rating might get their attention??
Hope this isn't a serious comment. Haha.

Hey Yelp, I ordered a bumper yesterday and Tesla hasn't updated me with a status. I'm used to Amazon with their instant shipping updates. Won't you please update me. This is a serious misshap on Tesla's part not getting me this bumper by tomorrow.

(Meanwhile there's people waiting 5+ months for a new Model S)...

Long time Tesla customer here. Tesla is all about new car sales. Parts and service is a burden they don't want, therefore don't care much about, just like trade-ins, so they do the bare minimum. Service used to be stellar before Model 3/Y flood - they were losing money on it before with large profit margin per car, it doesn't scale to much higher volumes with less profit per car.

Reactions: krishna3812