Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla use Wh/mi instead of miles per KWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
L/100km is likely used so that you aren't having to use leading zeroes, as you would with L/km.

l/100km is used in European countries, because they're rational, and figure that a measure of consumption is better for comparison than a measure of range.

This. It's a frame of mind thing.

Historically it reflects the US thinking v.s. European thinking. My guess is in the US gasoline has always been relatively cheap and "fuel economy" has mostly been about just that: economy (as in financials) i.e. how much is filling this car going to cost me. While in Europe we have been used to thinking about consumption from not only a purely financial standpoint but also with regards to exhaust/pollution/environment etc. In this case consumption per distance travelled makes more sense to use than distance travelled per unit of fuel.

I think they use a different unit for every screen just to make us practice our mental arithmetic. Keeps our panic level high when we're driving at night in the snow wondering if we'll make it to the next supercharger.

1) Battery indicator: miles
2) Trip energy graph: percent charge
3) Consumption graph: Wh/mile
4) Charging screen: Amps, Volts, mph

The one number I'm really interested in (Estimated miles of range left at destination): nowhere to be found.

Before the advent of the trip energy graph, this number was unavailable at any price. Now, at least, it can be calculated by (trip energy estimated destination percent charge)*(battery maximum charge rated miles)/100.

Let's make the "Units" selector apply everywhere.

If charge units is selected to be rated miles, the trip graph should display starting and destination rated miles, consumption graph should show rated miles per actual mile. Charging screen would be more useful if it displayed rated miles per minute instead of miles per hour.
If charge units are % charge, battery should be % charge, Trip graph in % charge, consumption graph in % charge per mile, charging in % charge per minute.
Of course, substitute km for mile everywhere in this diatribe for those who live anywhere except the US, Liberia, and Myanmar.

A unit of currency that has ALWAYS included decimals

Did you just reveal your age there? :)

ticker.jpg

My vote will always to put the energy consumed in the numerator. The EPA is pushing "US Gal/100 miles" for all of the excellent reasons posted by stopcrazypp and others in this tread. I hope Tesla sticks with wh/mi and doesn't back down from this good engineering practice like they did with the new kW meter on the V7.0 dashboard (the pre-7.0 kW meter doubled the kW for each marking, which is much more useful and intuitive).

GSP

My vote will always to put the energy consumed in the numerator. The EPA is pushing "US Gal/100 miles" for all of the excellent reasons posted by stopcrazypp and others in this tread. I hope Tesla sticks with wh/mi and doesn't back down from this good engineering practice like they did with the new kW meter on the V7.0 dashboard (the pre-7.0 kW meter doubled the kW for each marking, which is much more useful and intuitive).

GSP

Agree. US Gal/100 miles would be a much better way for people to compare. They know they drive 10,000 miles a year for example and could quickly do the math and compare two cars.

I hope Tesla sticks with Wh/mile too.

Questions I need to know the answer to on the efficiency tooic:
How much does my commute cost?
How much does a year of driving cost?
How much more will it cost to take the Prius instead of the Tesla on this trip?
What will the efficiency be of the Tesla when you add a trailer?

Not:
Where can I live so that my commute costs less than $4 in fuel?
I have a fuel budget of $1k/year and drive 10k mikes, what car can I buy?
(Etc)...

So it seems obvious to me that efficiency should be wh/mile... BMW,Nissan etc all got it wrong.
I'm still happy for range to be in miles... They should fix the trip energy graph.