Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla website trick people....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i dont think its honest marketing from Tesla.
I go to their website and click on "Order Yours" button then it shows a pop-up window with
Model-S seats 5 adults
Model-X seats 7 adults

so far so good ...but when you actually go to order Model-X its only 5 seats by default and you gotta pay $4k for 7 seats...why ? why would you then say seats 7 in the home page when its a paid option to get 7 seats ?

Same with their new CPO/inventory site i got today Buy a new Tesla today | Tesla
I look at the prices and realize that a inventory Model S 70 with better options than what i chose for my Model S60 (still waiting on production) is cheaper. I see several other vehicles fall in same cheaper price range than my Model S60. I then realize the just above the buy button it shows cash price before ev incentives. They are so eager to tell you the price after EV incentive and mainly market the post EV incentive number but they dont ever tell you about TAX. Until you ask you wouldnt realize the price is before tax. Doesnt even mention on the site the price is before taxes. Dont even have an option to calculate TAX on their website even for someone trying to figure out on road price.

I am a Tesla fan but this kind of gimmick can make many individual disappointed when the realize on road price. Specially for someone that stretched their purchase budget for this wonderful car.

Its already very expensive car and why not be honest about the details.

I'm not a "Tesla can do no wrong guy" but the X *can* seat 7 and you quickly are able to determine its an option I don't think that's deceptive. Tax is a variable by each state and country a buyer lives in and is highly variable. While they may exist I've never seen other manufacturers include tax in the price either. I also think it's reasonable that a inventory CPO car or demo is going to be less money than a brand new never driven custom ordered car.
I also have trouble with the title of your post about "tricking people". It might draw clicks but it's not a fair description of what happened.

Last edited:
Tax calculation is really really hard. They would have to ask you a bunch of questions before being able to even trying to calculate it.
I agree. It should at least mention price + applicable taxes next to the price.
If they can state Model-X seats 7 adults but you got to pay $4k for 7 seats then the same way they should state Model S seats 5 adults + 2 kids

I don't mind the tax credit discount on the webpage, but the gas savings off the price is a bit much. The 3rd row seating being extra, that doesn't bother me a bit. My experience is when you buy the super cars, there are more options, more expensive add-ons, but the stuff works better too. I ordered a Porsche long ago, and they get you $2000 for fancy lights, $1500 for wipers the detect rain, $2000 for other fancy lights, and it goes on. It was so much money in extras it hurt. Tesla is simple and complete, the options packages make sense and they are reasonably priced IMHO.

I drove by my local GM dealer, and the sign in front was about a Chevy Suburban with an alphabet of letters, $81,000. A Suburban is more expensive then a well equipped Model X? Wow, now add in gas costs and maintenance. I wonder what the add-on list is for the Suburban? Do they charge extra for the 3rd row seat?

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
i dont think its honest marketing from Tesla.
I go to their website and click on "Order Yours" button then it shows a pop-up window with
Model-S seats 5 adults
Model-X seats 7 adults

so far so good ...but when you actually go to order Model-X its only 5 seats by default and you gotta pay $4k for 7 seats...why ? why would you then say seats 7 in the home page when its a paid option to get 7 seats ?

Same with their new CPO/inventory site i got today Buy a new Tesla today | Tesla
I look at the prices and realize that a inventory Model S 70 with better options than what i chose for my Model S60 (still waiting on production) is cheaper. I see several other vehicles fall in same cheaper price range than my Model S60. I then realize the just above the buy button it shows cash price before ev incentives. They are so eager to tell you the price after EV incentive and mainly market the post EV incentive number but they dont ever tell you about TAX. Until you ask you wouldnt realize the price is before tax. Doesnt even mention on the site the price is before taxes. Dont even have an option to calculate TAX on their website even for someone trying to figure out on road price.

I am a Tesla fan but this kind of gimmick can make many individual disappointed when the realize on road price. Specially for someone that stretched their purchase budget for this wonderful car.

I drove by my local GM dealer, and the sign in front was about a Chevy Suburban with an alphabet of letters, $81,000. A Suburban is more expensive then a well equipped Model X? Wow, now add in gas costs and maintenance. I wonder what the add-on list is for the Suburban? Do they charge extra for the 3rd row seat?

Suburbans are giant beasts and do come with the third row standard. And, as any well-to-do Texan can tell you, there are a lot of large SUVs and trucks that will exceed the price of a Model X once loaded up. They can get VERY fancy with auto-lowering running boards, lcds in all the seat backs, full towing, adjustable suspensions, everything dripping in leather, seat coolers/heaters, etc.

The people who buy those don't care about the gas costs, usually.

Yes it is untrue in the sense that you have to finance the total cost of the car. The 7,500 rebate comes with your taxes. You have to read the fine print and look at total cost of the car in your build and add taxes and registration to that.

But that 7,500 tax credit will make you fell better when you receive it.

• Disagree
Reactions: scole04
They are so eager to tell you the price after EV incentive and mainly market the post EV incentive number but they dont ever tell you about TAX. Until you ask you wouldnt realize the price is before tax. Doesnt even mention on the site the price is before taxes. Dont even have an option to calculate TAX on their website even for someone trying to figure out on road price.

Before you place the order it states:

"By placing this order you agree to the Model S Order Agreement"

and within that it clearly states:

"Final Price Sheet: The Final Price Sheet will be provided to you as your delivery date nears. It will include final pricing based on your final Vehicle Configuration and will include taxes and official or governmental fees."

I can't think of many items that alert you of tax on the first page of a product. I just went to Verizon Wireless's website and all of their devices are shown without tax or any mention of taxes. We live in America, everything is taxed lol.

Reactions: msnow
I challenge you to cite a single example of a product advertised on the internet for more than $10,000 that includes tax in its quoted price. I believe I could even say $1000, but let's stick with $10,000, which is still a fraction of the price of the cheapest Tesla.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I get your point, but on the page where it says Model X seats 7 adults they do not list the price. If they put the base price on that page I would say yes it is deceptive. They could easily fix that by saying Model X seats up to 7 adults, but I think some people might be confused and think the 7 seater might not fit 7 adults.

Regarding the gas savings, at least Tesla has continued to update that as the price of gas has changed. It used to assume $4 per gallon when the average price was well below that. Eventually they will need to get rid of that though. If they put a "gas savings" amount on Model 3 that would be meaningless to me as I would be replacing a Nissan LEAF with Model 3.