Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does The Delivery Process Suck So Much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Porsche's entire identity is based on overcharging for what they make. I drove a Corvette before the Roadster. Friends and coworkers with 911's would rag on me for my purchase. Never mind that Corvettes will equal or outperform a 911 for 2/3 or less of the price. Rather like the Taycan and Model S. Doesn't matter. They are a luxury/statement brand. Porsche has no desire to be a mass market maker. That is Volkswagen's job. That being said, at least they are continuing to deliver very high quality products. A lot of companies that had a very good reputation monetize that by dialing down the product quality while keeping premium prices.

Profit? Tesla has never made a profit. If what you say is true, Tesla would not exist. They would not have been given the constant cash infusions they need to stay alive. Wall Street cares about deliveries and production. That's what the analysts ask about on the earnings calls. No one talks about profit.
Tesla is on a run of 4 profitable quarters, at least according to Elon Accounting Inc.

When he sent out the penny-pinching warning to his employees last week, I'm sure it's because he's nibbling his fingernails whether the company will post a profit for Q4.

The strategy in the formative years was that the Model S and X would carry the company until it could scale up with the 3 and starting making some money.

I too could take over a car company - slash all capital expenditures, burn down the sales and service network - spit out vehicles with human hair embedded in the paint, and turn a blind eye when the control arms of my premium product give up the ghost when I put the car into reverse.

I don't think I'd have a job for long.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They sell every car they can make with the current price, level of customer service, and production quality. Clearly, since they have waiting lists for their cars, they need to lower one or more of these corporate metrics to increase their profits. Even if they could lower costs and increase their customer experience through better organization and efficiency, that would require management attention and possibly capital expenditures.

As it is, Tesla isn't maximizing the return for their stockholders.
That’s not true. And the fact that they’re shutting down the S/X production for 2 weeks proves it.

That’s not true. And the fact that they’re shutting down the S/X production for 2 weeks proves it.
No. They shut down by Xmas. A car that goes into production by the 24th or 25th woild not be sold in 2020 anyway. So that is indeed normal production line maintainance, update, progress. That needs to be done even if that line's output is sold 100% normally.

Reactions: Electroman
No. They shut down by Xmas. A car that goes into production by the 24th or 25th woild not be sold in 2020 anyway. So that is indeed normal production line maintainance, update, progress. That needs to be done even if that line's output is sold 100% normally.
No. If Tesla is selling the cars like hot cakes they wouldn’t be shutting the production line down. Doesn’t matter if they wouldn’t be delivered by year end, they have q1 to worry about.

No. If Tesla is selling the cars like hot cakes they wouldn’t be shutting the production line down. Doesn’t matter if they wouldn’t be delivered by year end, they have q1 to worry about.
Tesla has always shut down production lines each quarter for uogrades.

However, yes, the S and X sell poorly, so they'll readily shut them down.

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease
Spend $75k on a Benz, Porsche, Audi, or BMW and you're an honored customer. Spend $75k on a Tesla and they can't rid of you fast enough.

My wife's new Model S delivered with paint chips [fixed before delivery] actual miles on it because they had to drive it from Los Angeles to the delivery location [NOT our home but a Tesla location in SoCal] and she did not get a copy of any paperwork at delivery - not offered so much as a bottle of water.

Once BMW/Benz etal start actually having decent ev's for sale - I don't want to see what happens to Tesla sales.

There is an excuse literally for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. They change a trade in price when you arrive with ZERO excuses - we had to walk out to get them to honor a price they gave us YESTERDAY. Have an appointment? Oh well, you're waiting until we can get to you. ZERO time or effort spent with the customer to set the car up. My wife takes photos of her settings so she can sit in the parking lot to set the car up.

The customer service for a customer and not a fanboy is just absymal. Wife had a 2017 75D that was replaced with a 2021 100D essentially [whatever they call it!] that they lowered the price - basically only for more range and so she could get the car pool sticker til we move out of California - but thats another tale.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I agree that Tesla's customer service needs work generally, including their initial quality which I believe they're working on following some abysmal J.D. Power ratings and general customer feedback.

As two other point samples, here was the experience of myself and my girlfriend who both bought Model 3s in 2020;

My experience; my Tesla advisor was an absolute gem. He not only found me a P3D- and told me about pre-emptively (without any prompting), I ended up buying it and he had the financing and VIN adjusted on my behalf. He took care of everything without complaint, and was just on-point through the whole process. The service advisor from whom I picked up the car (during the pandemic of course) was informative and helpful. He showed me to my car (which was parked right next to us) and I took as long as I needed to inspect it. I filled out the documents inside the car, thanked him, and drove home. Totally and completely painless. Granted, had I found issues I may have discovered the same reticence that you and others have encountered. When I saw my delivery agent at another event he recognized me and said 'hi'. That event was also amazing. I wasn't offered any water but I didn't ask for any. I was very glad for the simple and easy delivery.

My girlfriend and I went to pick up her Model 3 together after she paid for it online in full. The service agent was another gem. Chatty and engaging, checking in on us while we waited a tik before delivery was ready for us. She got us both a Gatorade on a pretty hot day, and she had to walk a bit to do that. There were lots of service advisors there (or volunteers from any part of Tesla) and we recognized a few people from a recent test-drive event. We inspected her car, found it to be on-point (really two for two isn't bad), I took over the role of explaining the car to her and off we went. It was a brilliant experience, and everyone was friendly and engaging. Still, it could have been different had we discovered something wrong, but our mood and our advisor's mood were both positive. Tesla was in the middle of record-breaking quarterly deliveries, and my girlfriend's trade-in won some kind of informal 'award' per our agent for having the most miles on it for the day or week. Her trade-in had 238,000 miles on it, haha.

Anyway, two point samples, but not the full picture. The real test of course is how they handle a dissatisfied customer, and I'm sure some improvement could be made here. Even better would be to improve their initial quality so there are fewer dissatisfied customers and/or rejected cars.

Spend $75k on a Benz, Porsche, Audi, or BMW and you're an honored customer. Spend $75k on a Tesla and they can't rid of you fast enough.

Funny. I've never had that experience. Maybe it's you. Or maybe it's the dealer. Maybe it's because Tesla is growing so fast they can't get enough help, and everyone is stressed. Who knows? I have been at a MB dealer, and it was crickets, so likely they could jump and bow and scrape hoping you wouldn't walk out the door.

And when MB does get a decent electric, make sure you check the option to use their high speed charging network so you don't have to wait four hours to drive another 400 miles. -- Oh, right. They don't have any.

You really think the Model S is selling out? Hmmm. The X is on life support.

The 3/Y is healthy but the conclusion remains: If you don't take care of your customers - someone else will.

Look - not my car - I would NOT buy a Tesla now because their corporate philosophy is No, screw you, you want this car or not?

Funny, but I never bought a car based on how the salesperson sucked up to me. I come to buy a car. As far as that goes, as there is virtually NO maintenance, it's likely you'll never see them again. You can buy a Tesla on line and completely skip the corporate philosophy, then go pick up your car when it's ready. I've owned four Teslas and had over 100K miles on them, with hardly a visit for anything.

I've heard this garbage about someone else taking care of you. What, exactly, do you want? I'm guessing it's your attitude that radiates that you're just looking anyway, and as they're understaffed they really don't have time to get into much of a conversation. The answers are all on line anyway.

Funny, but I never bought a car based on how the salesperson sucked up to me. I come to buy a car. As far as that goes, as there is virtually NO maintenance, it's likely you'll never see them again. You can buy a Tesla on line and completely skip the corporate philosophy, then go pick up your car when it's ready. I've owned four Teslas and had over 100K miles on them, with hardly a visit for anything.

I've heard this garbage about someone else taking care of you. What, exactly, do you want? I'm guessing it's your attitude that radiates that you're just looking anyway, and as they're understaffed they really don't have time to get into much of a conversation. The answers are all on line anyway.
Couldn’t be any more bs if you tried. The fact is teslas are more likely to be going back to get something fixed. And consumer reports proves that. Nice try though.

You guys talk as if Tesla Customer Service is only not on par with Lexus/MB/BMW. Fact of the matter is that Tesla isn't even on par with Toyota/Honda/Chevy. With no other car make do you have the feeling that you've been given the middle finger after spending $25k, much less $75k.

Tesla has all the signs of a fly-by-night business which can't afford to plan for tomorrow and the long-term, because their tomorrow may not exist.

I picked up my Y yesterday (Saturday) from Plano, TX center and I have to agree with OP on the abysmal highly impersonal delivery process.

I got a couple of emails about contactless delivery process which I did read through. But what awaited me when I went to the Plano, TX delivery center to pick up was rather shocking. As I walked in through the side door, place looked completely deserted. There is no one in the concierge (rather there is no concierge at all I think). I had to wait for a few minutes to see someone walk by, wave my hands and got their attention. He seemed a little be-wildered why I was there.

"I have come here to take delivery of my new car"
"Sure you can go pick it up yourself"

"What do you mean?"
"This is contactless delivery. You go and look for your car and just drive off"

"Is someone going to come with me to show me the car?"
"No. You find your car in the lot. Press the 'Accept' button in your Tesla account. Open the door. You will find the key cards. Then you drive off. Did you get an email with those instructions? ".

I thought he was joking for a minute, but he was not.

"I thought contactless means, we don't need to shake hands, or exchange papers, sit in a room for signing ceremony and hug at the end. I didn't realize I won't even see a human before I pick up the car. How do I even know which car is mine?".

At this point I am getting irritated. So another kind very young soul, who looked like he is in his early 20s, agreed to walk with me to my car. We walked to the car, I looked around outside and everything looks good, in perfect shape.

"Can we look inside now?"
"Car is locked. To open the car you have to first "Accept" the delivery and then use the app to open the car"

"Why would I 'Accept' the delivery before looking inside?"
"Well... to open the car you need to Accept. The key cards are inside the car. It is already assigned to you. So I can't open it now.".

"??? what ??"
"If there is a problem you can always come back and we will fix it"

The absurdity of the whole contactless delivery process really hit home then. But then I am guessing Tesla is trying to make buying a car a commodity, very impersonal, like picking a can of milk in the grocery store. In that sense I guess they are heading in the right direction, may be I as a consumer hasn't caught on to it yet, but this is where the industry is going.

Anyway, I relented and 'Accepted' online, opened the doors checked the interiors and they were perfect. And we drove off. Start to end 15 minutes.

On the ride back home, after getting over the initial shock this got me thinking. I would rather take this contactless 15 minute delivery over the 3+ hours painful, "Do you want to have underside chrome protection for only $14.99 a month" and sign here and sign there bullsh$t with the car dealers.

For someone who is buying his 3rd Tesla, I guess this works. But for first time buyers, they would like someone to spend a good amount of time explaining the features, answering questions and going over the center console.

Last edited:
In a lot of ways Tesla is a victim of their success with regards to customer service. Prior to the M3 growth explosion, people spoke very highly of Tesla service. Once the service centers began to get overcrowded due to the influx of cars on the road, the service experience dropped considerably. This seems to be most prevalent in California anecdotally (probably due to the high number of cars there).

This is a management and resources issue and can be solved. Tesla just needs to want to implement better policies and introduce a centralized support center (comprised of actual people and not an app).

While I agree with a lot of the negative comments, the main dealer network is not perfect in my experience, also we tend to forget the investment that has to be paid for. VW apparently spent 33billion euros developing their EV platform, that is why an ID 3 is £33,000 rather than the sub £20,000 that you can by an ICE equivalent Golf for.
Re being shown around the car at delivery, I have always found that the dealers knowledge of how all the bits work is sparse at best, Tesla at least give you video tutorials.
Different, yes, flawed yes, bad, not sure, I'll let you know when mine is delivered.

Reactions: Electroman
Mercedes-Benz sales numbers aren't that bad. I believe MB sales in the U.S. last year were about 86% higher than Tesla.

Have doubts that MBZ sales are anywhere near "about 86% higher than Tesla." Do please post a link supporting that statement.

Frankly, MBZ, BMW, Audi, etc., are dead men walking.

Non-Tesla charging networks are a joke, and their cars can't compete; any buyer that is so ignorant as to not realize the benefits of both FSD and OTA updates deserves to eat their MASSIVE depreciation. Hate to be so blunt, but there are some seriously unintelligent folks buying those arguably "really dumb" EV's:

Once-hailed 'Tesla Killer' Mercedes-Benz EQC sells less than 700 since launch: report

And:

All Electric Cars Except Teslas Have A Depreciation Problem

And:

You too can have an Audi E-Tron for $21,500 by early 2021 (it will depreciate worse than the i8)| Grassroots Motorsports forum |

Frankly, the market for used e-Trons is so bad that Audi didn't even bother to import any for 2020--far, far too many leftover 2019's hanging around. You can buy them all day, and twice on Sundays, for $20k to $30k off list price. Just do a quick search on AutoTempest.com or cars.com and they're stacked up everywhere at giveaway prices . . . .

But I'll bet you can get a nice bottle of water and a big hug if you buy one:)