Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does The Delivery Process Suck So Much?

Iain

Feb 5, 2020
Austin
I loved the fact I was at the Tesla service center less than 20 minutes when I picked up my car. I had an appointment, salesmen walked in right on time. I went to the car and did a thorough walk around. He asked if I had test driven the car or if I had any questions. I was in and out and gone. Fantastic. Now when I went to buy my wife’s GLS450 Mercedes it took around five hours. Firstly I was in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops. I couldn’t find a sole to help me, I knew exactly what I wanted and had several salesman look at me but bugger off before I could hail them down. Eventually I cornered someone and the haggling began, how much do you want to pay a month etc. the only regret I have is buying her car, it’s boring as hell and has been back to Mercedes on at least six separate occasions, in the last three years. I guess everyone has their own experiences but I love the no hassle no contact Tesla model. I have two young boys yet we drive my model 3, 80% of the time instead of a Mercedes, three row dinosaur.

Webeevdrivers

Jan 2, 2017
Canada
Depends on the experience I guess. Our Tesla purchase experience was top notch compared to every other vehicle we have purchased. Our purchase and ownership experience with Mercedes was pure *sugar*. All the rest were...meh.

Nissan has a good coffee machine in their service area. Does that count? Don’t know about the Tesla service centre. Other than the day of pickup we haven’t been back.

To each his own.

Cheers.

Spacep0d

Apr 20, 2019
Wildomar, CA
I loved the fact I was at the Tesla service center less than 20 minutes when I picked up my car. I had an appointment, salesmen walked in right on time. I went to the car and did a thorough walk around. He asked if I had test driven the car or if I had any questions. I was in and out and gone. Fantastic. Now when I went to buy my wife’s GLS450 Mercedes it took around five hours. Firstly I was in shorts, T-shirt and flip flops. I couldn’t find a sole to help me, I knew exactly what I wanted and had several salesman look at me but bugger off before I could hail them down. Eventually I cornered someone and the haggling began, how much do you want to pay a month etc. the only regret I have is buying her car, it’s boring as hell and has been back to Mercedes on at least six separate occasions, in the last three years. I guess everyone has their own experiences but I love the no hassle no contact Tesla model. I have two young boys yet we drive my model 3, 80% of the time instead of a Mercedes, three row dinosaur.

Another reason to love Tesla. No 'How much can you afford/want to pay per month' shell games. Tesla has a set price, and you can work out financing on your own or through them. Same with insurance if you're in CA (for now). And, since the car's already basically purchased by the time you show up, dress how you want without getting judgey-eyes from high-falutin' commission-conscious salespeople looking to improve their odds of a sale by assessment of stereotypical 'wealth' cues.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Do you think the delivery process will soon change - as Texas is seceeding from the Union and will become its own country ?

• Funny
Reactions: Iain
Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Would you care to share the criteria you use to rate them as selling "poorly"?
Hmmm... the S and the X made up about 11% of Tesla total sales in Q3.

Hmmm... the S and X production line is shutting down for 18 days the end of this month and into January.

Hmmm... line workers are being given one paid week during this shutdown, but will have to either use PTO or go unpaid for the remainder of the time.

Elon would be the last human-being on Earth to shut down his production line if the cars were selling...

SucreTease

Teslarian
Jul 11, 2017
Huntsville, Alabama
Hmmm... the S and the X made up about 11% of Tesla total sales in Q3.
This is a testament to how well the 3 & Y are selling, not how poorly the S & X are selling. You do understand that the ratio of S&X sales, #S+X/(#S+X + #3+Y), goes down as #3+Y goes up, right?

Hmmm... the S and X production line is shutting down for 18 days the end of this month and into January.

Hmmm... line workers are being given one paid week during this shutdown, but will have to either use PTO or go unpaid for the remainder of the time.
There is absolutely no reason to assume that shutting down the line temporarily has anything to do with sales, unless you have inside information you could share with us. It used to be the case that Tesla shut down the S&X lines for a week each quarter for maintenance and upgrades. A 2.5 week shutdown is more indicative of substantial changes to the line.

strider

Oct 20, 2010
NE Oklahoma
There is absolutely no reason to assume that shutting down the line temporarily has anything to do with sales, unless you have inside information you could share with us. It used to be the case that Tesla shut down the S&X lines for a week each quarter for maintenance and upgrades. A 2.5 week shutdown is more indicative of substantial changes to the line.
I have no dog in this fight, but the question is whether the workers were paid or unpaid during the previous shutdowns. If during the historic maintenance and upgrade shutdowns, the workers continued to be paid during the shutdown, then this EOY 2020 shutdown is notable and would imply that there is more to the story. If historically they go unpaid during these times then this would imply that this is a routine shutdown and that the rumored Q1 S/X updates are happening.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Would you care to share the criteria you use to rate them as selling "poorly"?

Their sales.

Global S and X deliveries:
2019Q1: 12,100
2019Q2: 17,650
2019Q3: 17,400
2019Q4: 19,450
[2019: 66,600]
2020Q1: 12,200
2020Q2: 10,600
2020Q3: 15,200
[202013: 38,000]

Tesla will continue to tweak the S and X, but it can't afford to make the changes needed to help make them more competitive in the high-end premium segment. The 3 and Y are now much more important to Tesla.

Reactions: SucreTease

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
  • Love
Reactions: AMPd

alloverx

Mar 20, 2016
Seattle
I admire his efficiency drive but Elon could afford to pay the entire salary of the factory for 1 year and would not even notice.

Tesla price dealing is fantastic. Really highlights how bad the dealership model is. Ironically some of them are now doing more online due to the virus.

Tesla personal service can be spotty, some like it, some don't.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
This is a testament to how well the 3 & Y are selling, not how poorly the S & X are selling. You do understand that the ratio of S&X sales, #S+X/(#S+X + #3+Y), goes down as #3+Y goes up, right?

Despite your elegant equation and presentation of concept - I'm really OK understanding ratios.

Only problem is - S&X sales are going down quarter after quarter. They're not even remaining flat. Since they're cratering, that's of course making it much easier for your 3&Y twins to "succeed" in your estimation.

Apple would be freaking out if 90% of its iPhone sales were the 'Mini' - with only 10% 'Max.' Margins are much fatter for the Max. Same thing applies in Elon world.

The Tesla plant closing isn't some subversive suggestion I came up with. What I find really telling is that the unpaid week for all of these employees just happens to be the last week of December.

They will receive pay the first week of January during the continuing plant closure.

That's really desperate - Elon chopping payroll the last week of December to somehow prop up his Q4 numbers.

To add insult to injury - these employees are being invited to VOLUNTEER - yes you read correctly - WORK FOR FREE - helping deliver cars that last week of December.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like working for free, during a pandemic, after my boss who's worth 150 Billion or so slashes my paycheck.

Last edited:

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
Despite your elegant equation and presentation of concept - I'm really OK understanding ratios.

Only problem is - S&X sales are going down quarter after quarter. They're not even remaining flat. Since they're cratering, that's of course making it much easier for your 3&Y twins to "succeed" in your estimation.

Apple would be freaking out if 90% of its iPhone sales were the 'Mini' - with only 10% 'Max.' Margins are much fatter for the Max. Same thing applies in Elon world.

The Tesla plant closing isn't some subversive suggestion I came up with. What I find really telling is that the unpaid week for all of these employees just happens to be the last week of December.

They will receive pay the first week of January during the continuing plant closure.

That's really desperate - Elon chopping payroll the last week of December to somehow prop up his Q4 numbers.

To add insult to injury - these employees are being invited to VOLUNTEER - yes you read correctly - WORK FOR FREE - helping deliver cars that last week of December.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like working for free, during a pandemic, after my boss who's worth 150 Billion or so slashes my paycheck.
I’m not a fan of counting other people’s money or saying how they should use it. But man how detached from reality does one need to be to ask their employees to work for free during the holidays while the company’s stock is at an all time high.

Reactions: strider and cwerdna
Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
I’m not a fan of counting other people’s money or saying how they should use it. But man how detached from reality does one need to be to ask their employees to work for free during the holidays while the company’s stock is at an all time high.
I don't begrudge the guy making billions. All the power to him, Bezos, Ellison, Benioff etc etc

But if you're going to make that kind of money and make these kinds of decisions - you're way too ripe for the pickin'

Reactions: AMPd

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Global S and X deliveries:
2019Q1: 12,100
2019Q2: 17,650
2019Q3: 17,400
2019Q4: 19,450
[2019: 66,600]
2020Q1: 12,200
2020Q2: 10,600
2020Q3: 15,200
[202013: 38,000]

It's probably also worth noting that the S and X sales declines still occurred at this pace despite healthy price reductions e.g., the base price of a MS Performance in the U.S. went from $135,000 ($127,500 after factoring in $7,500 fed tax credit) in 2018 to $91,990 today.

Of course, there's also been price reductions on the 3 and Y but not at the level of S and X.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC