Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does The Delivery Process Suck So Much?

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
To add insult to injury - these employees are being invited to VOLUNTEER - yes you read correctly - WORK FOR FREE - helping deliver cars that last week of December.

Tesla has made similar requests in the past, including this time last year.
Leaked email reveals Tesla is asking employees to help deliver cars during the final weeks of 2019

There's a lot of emphasis on keeping costs down in order to help the stock price and not enough emphasis on quality and customer service.

Reactions: comanchepilot

Electroman

Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2012
TX
Let’s try to be less dramatic. No one is putting a gun to their head to come and volunteer. Every time you end some observation with a comment taking a dig on service and quality, that doesn’t mean your observation or the quality sucks.

I have volunteered a few times and I have enjoyed the experience.

Reactions: hcdavis3

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
Let’s try to be less dramatic. No one is putting a gun to their head to come and volunteer. Every time you end some observation with a comment taking a dig on service and quality, that doesn’t mean your observation or the quality sucks.

I have volunteered a few times and I have enjoyed the experience.
Not a gun... a flamethrower ..maybe

TKTes75

Nov 30, 2017
Dallas
I picked up my Y yesterday (Saturday) from Plano, TX center and I have to agree with OP on the abysmal highly impersonal delivery process.

I got a couple of emails about contactless delivery process which I did read through. But what awaited me when I went to the Plano, TX delivery center to pick up was rather shocking. As I walked in through the side door, place looked completely deserted. There is no one in the concierge (rather there is no concierge at all I think). I had to wait for a few minutes to see someone walk by, wave my hands and got their attention. He seemed a little be-wildered why I was there.

"I have come here to take delivery of my new car"
"Sure you can go pick it up yourself"

"What do you mean?"
"This is contactless delivery. You go and look for your car and just drive off"

"Is someone going to come with me to show me the car?"
"No. You find your car in the lot. Press the 'Accept' button in your Tesla account. Open the door. You will find the key cards. Then you drive off. Did you get an email with those instructions? ".

I thought he was joking for a minute, but he was not.

"I thought contactless means, we don't need to shake hands, or exchange papers, sit in a room for signing ceremony and hug at the end. I didn't realize I won't even see a human before I pick up the car. How do I even know which car is mine?".

At this point I am getting irritated. So another kind very young soul, who looked like he is in his early 20s, agreed to walk with me to my car. We walked to the car, I looked around outside and everything looks good, in perfect shape.

"Can we look inside now?"
"Car is locked. To open the car you have to first "Accept" the delivery and then use the app to open the car"

"Why would I 'Accept' the delivery before looking inside?"
"Well... to open the car you need to Accept. The key cards are inside the car. It is already assigned to you. So I can't open it now.".

"??? what ??"
"If there is a problem you can always come back and we will fix it"

The absurdity of the whole contactless delivery process really hit home then. But then I am guessing Tesla is trying to make buying a car a commodity, very impersonal, like picking a can of milk in the grocery store. In that sense I guess they are heading in the right direction, may be I as a consumer hasn't caught on to it yet, but this is where the industry is going.

Anyway, I relented and 'Accepted' online, opened the doors checked the interiors and they were perfect. And we drove off. Start to end 15 minutes.

On the ride back home, after getting over the initial shock this got me thinking. I would rather take this contactless 15 minute delivery over the 3+ hours painful, "Do you want to have underside chrome protection for only $14.99 a month" and sign here and sign there bullsh$t with the car dealers.

For someone who is buying his 3rd Tesla, I guess this works. But for first time buyers, they would like someone to spend a good amount of time explaining the features, answering questions and going over the center console.

Thanks for this! Picking up my MS this Sunday at Plano. Glad I know what to expect now. Do keep in mind, this new contactless delivery process is surely due to COVID. Once this blows over, the process should go back to normal showroom deliveries.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Thanks for this! Picking up my MS this Sunday at Plano. Glad I know what to expect now. Do keep in mind, this new contactless delivery process is surely due to COVID. Once this blows over, the process should go back to normal showroom deliveries.

This won't blow over if Tesla continues to staff its showrooms and asks employees to hop into cars and drive multiple hours to handle customer deliveries. I seriously hope customers are being provided disinfectants and wipes etc since it's impossible to figure out who has been in your car, and what precautions they may have (or didn't take) while they were in your car.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Tesla has made similar requests in the past, including this time last year.
Leaked email reveals Tesla is asking employees to help deliver cars during the final weeks of 2019

There's a lot of emphasis on keeping costs down in order to help the stock price and not enough emphasis on quality and customer service.
Uh... we didn't have a pandemic on our hands the final weeks of 2019. I'm sure folks would not be too thrilled if they knew multiple Tesla employees were in and our of their cars without precautions.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Uh... we didn't have a pandemic on our hands the final weeks of 2019. I'm sure folks would not be too thrilled if they knew multiple Tesla employees were in and our of their cars without precautions.

Who says there would be "multiple Tesla employees in and out of cars without precautions"? Whether volunteers or regular paid delivery staff members, I assume the overall process and precautions used would be the same. My point was that the Tesla "volunteer" request is not something new as they’ve done it a few times before. It is a tactic Elon/Tesla uses to keep costs down and help the stock price.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Who says there would be "multiple Tesla employees in and out of cars without precautions"? Whether volunteers or regular paid delivery staff members, I assume the overall process and precautions used would be the same. My point was that the Tesla "volunteer" request is not something new as they’ve done it a few times before. It is a tactic Elon/Tesla uses to keep costs down and help the stock price.
Well... let's see... when my wife and myself went for a M3 test drive over the Summer, we stood around waiting for the demo vehicle to come back from its previous ride.

The customer hopped out and gave the adviser the card key. The adviser then waved us down and offered the card. Not even a half-hearted attempt to wipe down the steering wheel / screen / seats with a wipe or anything.

My wife the nurse pretty much said screw this scene. The adviser seemed embarrassed, ran inside and came out with some wipes. He then proceeded to do what should have been done in the first place.

Hence my strong suspicion the training and follow-through is non-existent regarding certain precautions at Tesla.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Hence my strong suspicion the training and follow-through is non-existent regarding certain precautions at Tesla.

Since we're extrapolating our personal anecdotal experiences into broad company-wide assumptions:

I test drove a Model Y while my car was in service last week. A masked service employee walked me out to an outdoor area in the front parking lot where a shade structure and podium was set up, handed me off to a masked sales employee, and explained what I was interested in. The sales employee offered me a seat, went to fetch the car, pulled it up to the curb in front of me, then went through an obviously scripted and well orchestrated procedure of sanitizing and wiping down every surface and the keycard itself. He then sent me on my way.

30 minutes later I returned and the same procedure happened in reverse.

I should mention this all happened after watching a similar procedure unfold with my own vehicle when it was dropped off for service.

Hence my strong suspicion the training and-follow-through is obviously impeccably and consistently orchestrated regarding certain precautions at Tesla.

Reactions: Electroman

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
Since we're extrapolating our personal anecdotal experiences into broad company-wide assumptions:

I test drove a Model Y while my car was in service last week. A masked service employee walked me out to an outdoor area in the front parking lot where a shade structure and podium was set up, handed me off to a masked sales employee, and explained what I was interested in. The sales employee offered me a seat, went to fetch the car, pulled it up to the curb in front of me, then went through an obviously scripted and well orchestrated procedure of sanitizing and wiping down every surface and the keycard itself. He then sent me on my way.

I should mention this all happened after watching a similar procedure unfold with my own vehicle when it was dropped off for service.

Hence my strong suspicion the training and-follow-through is obviously impeccably and consistently orchestrated regarding certain precautions at Tesla.
Was this at Rocklin? Because I had the exact experience test driving a model s few months back.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA

You had a positive interaction. I had a negative interaction. This is what typical consumers refer to as "hit and miss."

It's really OK to stop flogging yourself at the altar of Musk. What I've found beneficial about this forum are real world examples from all corners.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
You had a positive interaction. I had a negative interaction. This is what typical consumers refer to "hit and miss."
Yes, and it’s also what keeps rational people from leaping to broad, sweeping conclusions such as “Hence my strong suspicion the training and follow-through is non-existent regarding certain precautions at Tesla.”

It's really OK to stop flogging yourself at the altar of Musk.

It is also ok to not stoop to broad generalizations or outright lies like the “Tesla is on track to sell fewer than 20K S&X for the entire year” you dropped in the other thread to dramatize or exaggerate your points.

Last edited:

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
Well... let's see... when my wife and myself went for a M3 test drive over the Summer, we stood around waiting for the demo vehicle to come back from its previous ride.

The customer hopped out and gave the adviser the card key. The adviser then waved us down and offered the card. Not even a half-hearted attempt to wipe down the steering wheel / screen / seats with a wipe or anything.

My wife the nurse pretty much said screw this scene. The adviser seemed embarrassed, ran inside and came out with some wipes. He then proceeded to do what should have been done in the first place.

Ok but that still doesn’t mean that procedures or precautions would necessarily be any different whether dealing with regular paid delivery staff members or employee volunteers. People willing to step up and volunteer may actually be even more cautious or diligent on average than the regular delivery staff. The reality is that experiences, good or bad, will probably vary regardless.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Yes, and it’s also what keeps rational people from leaping to broad, sweeping conclusions such as “Hence my strong suspicion the training and follow-through is non-existent regarding certain precautions at Tesla.”

It is also ok to not stoop to broad generalizations or outright lies like the “Tesla is on track to sell fewer than 20K S&X for the entire year” you dropped in the other thread to dramatize or exaggerate your points.

I meant to say 20K for the quarter - so I guess you can flog me too.

You aren't going to... like... send a hit-man out ? You seem to follow me a bit too closely in the forums.

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Ok but that still doesn’t mean that procedures or precautions would necessarily be any different whether dealing with regular paid delivery staff members or employee volunteers. People willing to step up and volunteer may actually be even more cautious or diligent on average than the regular delivery staff. The reality is that experiences, good or bad, will probably vary regardless.
I just find the entire "volunteer" process to be highly unusual, and as both a Tesla owner and a journalist by profession have quite a few questions about its implementation.

It's a rather bizarre - and perhaps in certain states - illegal practice if employees are "encouraged" to "volunteer" as part of the sales and revenue process.

For example - if I'm volunteering delivering cars and get into an accident - who covers me for this ? Am I eligible for a Workers Comp claim if I'm injured ? What is Tesla's stance and responsibility to me as an employee ? Again - really strange stuff, particularly for a publicly traded company.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC