Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the navigation always want to go via the highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roadways in every GPS have a ranking; Major highways have top priority, then big arterials, etc, until getting down to local neighborhood roadways.
Every GPS I've ever used likes to take me way out of my way through terrible stop-and-go just to get to a nearby Interstate. I was once traveling in far upstate New York along the St. Lawrence River, and Waze wanted me to cross over into Canada just because the road was a (slightly) higher priority than the one I was on.

If it's an area with which I'm familiar (like near home), I either set the GPS and ignore it until we agree, or I don't turn on nav until I'm closer to the destination.

Ok, let me see if I can put this in other terms,
you have 3 folks in the car, each has a smart phone.
At least one ipad and a car computer. If you can't get to
Taco Bell well there is something wrong. OK you may need a Navi
to get out of the SF airport, or go to uncle George's house when he
tells you to take a right at Texas, but really. My Navi should tell me
where I can get beer on sale, and cold. What was the question?
Happy hour gotta go.

I'm in the middle of our first long trip on the M3 LR (2 weeks old), and didn't like that the car's nav wants to make my charge at 100%, and arrive with 5%. Fortunately, I did my route in ABRP, and knew how much to charge in each of the 4 stops. Tesla was trying to make me charge to 100% twice, and arrive with 'fumes' each time. Is there a way to tell the car's nav I want to arrive with 30% charge, like you can do with ABRP? Thx.

Finally, read it somewhere on this forum that it wasn't a good idea to send a ABRP route to the car's nav, but didn't bother to read the entire thread. Is that true? But that could solve the issue of having to force nav to stop at a closer supercharger, canceling the original destination. Not a big deal at all, but prefer if I don't have to mess with the nav during the trip. Thank you.

I have mine set up to suggest an alternate route only if it will take 10 minutes or longer than the next best route.
I prefer freeway if it is not backed up more than 10 minutes so that I can let AP do its thing on the freeway.

In the end, a artificial system is stupid
It's not that it's stupid; it's that the design choices reflected the philosophy of most Americans who are in a car- in a gross perversion of a common saying, to most it's about the destination, not the journey.

I enjoy driving and don't mind taking slightly longer to get where I'm going (time constraints notwithstanding); most people I know want to get where they're going and out of the car as quickly as possible. The design of most nav systems reflects that.

I doubt, though, that I would like an automagic "Scenic Route" option in the built-in map, as its idea of scenic and mine might differ; and the same "Scenic" route would become mundane after too many trips. I'd far, far, far prefer "Nav from A to B via Road R", or the most simplified version most people understand and use: "Nav from A to B via waypoints X, Y, Z".

Teslas nav does not use google maps for anything except the base map and satellite view.

Navigation, routing, and traffic are done by other parties.

That explains the feeling I had about the routing. Have used and really trust the google maps routing, especially for traffic. Used it every day for every destination for over 10yrs for that reason. This seemed different and without the multiple routes and some other features. Using Google routing I assume would increase cost for licensing or require some additional work (that google may not allow) to integrate charging station logic.

Teslas nav does not use google maps for anything except the base map and satellite view.

Navigation, routing, and traffic are done by other parties.

Interesting! I often ran Google Maps on my phone and Tesla's routing at the same time and had a 100% match in default routing (fastest route) with one exception: when set to "avoid tolls," the Tesla would erroneously exit the Garden State Parkway even when the destination had no toll for the exit, while Google Maps got it correct.

Since they were so similar, I'm surprised to hear they don't use Google routing - but it makes sense. They CAN'T use Google routing and magically insert the energy estimates & supercharger location info after the fact, so they need to run their own routing. If they use the same general alogs and Google's source data, though, you should get the same result except when the route is impacted by charging requirements.

didn't like that the car's nav wants to make my charge at 100%, and arrive with 5%

I have NEVER seen it want to charge to anywhere near 100%, and have NEVER seen it put me at a destination anywhere near as low as 5%.

On long stretechs, I try not to run the battery much above 50%. I stop more often but spend less time charging (because charging is much faster when the battery is lower, and charging is horrifically slow as it approaches 100%.) Stopping more often (and walking around) means I feel better when I get to my destination, as well as spending less actual time charging - so I get there sooner and in better condition!

I can relate to this. I was parked outside of Dick's Sporting Goods at the West Nyack mall (Palisades Mall). Point "A" on the map. I don't know the area. I needed to charge. I saw there was a supercharger nearby (Point "B"), but didn't know how to get to it. The navigation had me go the Red route. (?!?!?!?). After seeing where the supercharger was, all I needed to do was go through the parking lot (Green). Heck, it could even have told me to go the Orange route. But no, it made me leave the mall and get onto the highway. WTF.

map.jpg

I can relate to this. I was parked outside of Dick's Sporting Goods at the West Nyack mall (Palisades Mall). Point "A" on the map. I don't know the area. I needed to charge. I saw there was a supercharger nearby (Point "B"), but didn't know how to get to it. The navigation had me go the Red route. (?!?!?!?). After seeing where the supercharger was, all I needed to do was go through the parking lot (Green). Heck, it could even have told me to go the Orange route. But no, it made me leave the mall and get onto the highway. WTF.

View attachment 629407

View attachment 629407

Exactly my point, WTF. How hard can it be?

Most of us like the Red route

I'd like it to consider minimum state of charge you want before the next supercharger (like you can do with ABRP). It's supper annoying having to always look for the next supercharger, and set it as a destination, since even if you get with 5%, it skips them. And the damn screen keeps yelling at you to lower your speed. We have to get used to waste some time and look for the next supercharger, and set it as a destination, before leaving the current one, while it finishes charging, so we don't waste any time.