Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the P100D cost $42,500 more than the P100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am enjoying my P100D :)

Awesome! I'm jealous. Don't misinterpret my lack of purchase for lack of enthusiasm. I think it's incredible they are able to achieve this performance and it sells cars for them even if the buyers don't choose that particular option. I just had so much trouble tripling my usual spend on a car that adding another $45k to it just couldn't be done. Again - I love the feature, I just couldn't justify the price for what you are truly getting with it. If they substantially changed the body of the car or at least made it appear you were getting more for your money (like Porsche) I might be able to stomach it a little better.

I agree entirely with the seemingly irrational pricing for that upgrade. Would I have been on board if it costs $10,000? - probably, but $40k - no way.

Just got a flashback reading this.

Back in 2013 when I got my P85 there were long angst-ridden discussions about whether getting the P variant for $10K more than the base 85 was worth it ... The numbers have inflated since, with a proportional decrease in buyer angst.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I was going to get the P100D, but after driving a P85+ for over 60K miles, I couldn't make the move to my perception of a more sloppy suspension. Additionally, the price delta killed it for me - couldn't justify the same body, brakes, suspension, OS, to my wife's 90D.

Also I have dumped some nice upgrades into my car that would be a hassle moving and Tesla doesn't accommodate moving any of those things like a traditional dealer would (hitch, audio upgrades, security upgrades, wheels, etc).

I'll wait for the new battery architecture and then pick up a used P100D for half the price in couple of years, the depreciation will be crushing on that car with the old 18650 battery's once the new 2170 high energy density battery's are released to the Model S platform, similar to the depreciation we saw when AP1 was released.

The current 18650 battery delivers 3,000 mA, and the new 2170 battery has been tested at 5,750-6,000 mA.

Last edited:
OP here. Yes, I messed up writing the P100D and picking out the P and the D for various models, but you know what I mean. 100D and P100D.

It bothers me that the 18650 battery was 3000 mA, and the new 2170 is 5750 to 6000. Just short of double, they should have gone to a 2270 or a 2175 form factor to get it OVER double!

Tesla provides and prices many different models and options.

It is up to each customer to decide which package they wish to purchase.

A base model Tesla is a pretty fantastic vehicle, and needs nothing added to give a tremendous ownership experience.

All the options add price and functionality. Everybody gets to pick the one they wish.

No need to argue which option is "worth it" as worth it is different for every buyer.

A two carat diamond costs more than double what a one carat diamond. Both might be "worth it"

A great steak costs more than a great hamburger. Both are worth it.

Nobody can tell what an item is worth to anybody else. Each individual can easily decide what options are worth it to themselves.

I dunno, $42,500 buys a lot of other toys - in my family a one week vacation budget is $6K (for four of us), thats 7 weeks of vacation to some pretty cool places. Its also almost two years of tuition at a good state school like UVA, its a used single engine plane, it's stock in a high growth company like NVDA - that gave a 207% return in 2016. etc. etc...

This is very hard to justify.
Indeed $42,500 buys a lot of toys. It will even buy a spare Model 3.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
The lack of real performance "parts" in the P100D is discouraging. The car is quick, no queston, but the fact that the parts are not made up for the task to be launched repeated, that tesla has code to reduce power the more you launch it (although supposedly removed) to prevent excess wear.

That $42K should be used to design and SELL performance capable motors, inverters, battery, suspension, etc.

As of today the difference between lowest base 75 and top end P100D is the addition of the small FRONT motor, bigger battery/fuses (obviously) and maybe some beefed up cabling. The Base RWD 75 already has the larger motor in the rear.

For me, the suspension's too floaty and slow to respond, bring back the + suspension sway bars and bushings, or change to MR dampers instead of air, change the arms on the suspension to prevent the excessive negative camber when lowered, along with a host of other improvements to make handle better.

Indeed $42,500 buys a lot of toys. It will even buy a spare Model 3.

A spare Model 3 can be exchanged for 3 Kia Rios with a 30 year warranty across them. How's that for a cost benefit analysis vs a Model 3?

People in this thread don't belong in the same room as someone who can buy a P90D and turn around and trade it in for a P100D one month later.

If were going to play a game of who can race to the bottom first, I should of stayed with Volts instead of upgrading to Tesla's to "save money" that annual oil change.

Pretty sure if Tesla quadrupled the upgrades to P100D with a $10k price reduction, their internal economists would have calculated the elasticity of demand and priced accordingly.

NVDA was 90 not too long so that would have depreciated faster than a P100D if bought at the top. Not the best example of alternative funds.

Has it not crossed peoples minds that Tesla needs to make something that the Ben Afflecks, Anthony Bourdain, James Camerons etc (+infinite people with disposable income) of the world can buy every year?

I was too broke/cheap to pay for PUP on my own Tesla but I always look up and not down to those more successful.

A spare Model 3 can be exchanged for 3 Kia Rios with a 30 year warranty across them. How's that for a cost benefit analysis vs a Model 3?

People in this thread don't belong in the same room as someone who can buy a P90D and turn around and trade it in for a P100D one month later.

If were going to play a game of who can race to the bottom first, I should of stayed with Volts instead of upgrading to Tesla's to "save money" that annual oil change.

Pretty sure if Tesla quadrupled the upgrades to P100D with a $10k price reduction, their internal economists would have calculated the elasticity of demand and priced accordingly.

NVDA was 90 not too long so that would have depreciated faster than a P100D if bought at the top. Not the best example of alternative funds.

Has it not crossed peoples minds that Tesla needs to make something that the Ben Afflecks, Anthony Bourdain, James Camerons etc (+infinite people with disposable income) of the world can buy every year?

I was too broke/cheap to pay for PUP on my own Tesla but I always look up and not down to those more successful.
There is no way I would ever compare a Tesla to a Kia.