Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the P100D cost $42,500 more than the P100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no way I would ever compare a Tesla to a Kia.

A Tesla is a complete waste of monetary resources compared to a Kia.

You could have thrown the difference between a Kia and put the equivalent money in Amazon at IPO. So what's better:

Model 3 - Lose 20% the moment you touch it.

Amazon - Make 10 million off $20k if you invested at the IPO?

Clearly buying the Kia and running away from Tesla is the way to go. That's why I find the premise of this thread "Ludicrous".

You could have thrown the difference between a Kia and put the equivalent money in Amazon at IPO. So what's better:

Clearly buying the Kia and running away from Tesla is the way to go. That's why I find the premise of this thread "Ludicrous".
Your Amazon description is hindsight ONLY.

Hey...we should have invested in King Digital..... oh wait that IPO went belly up.
Hey I know...how about Viggle?.....Oh yeah....they no longer exist.
Hey....I got it.... how about EP Energy.....oh that's right they no longer exist.

There are thousands of IPO failures that you should have invested your $20K in and ended up with $0 minus the trading fees.

Clearly......wait....has anyone seen Kia's Motors 5 year stock price by any chance? LOL

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18

ZERO chance the m3 loses anywhere near 20% the minute it's off the lot. Book it.... you'll be able to drives this car for a year if you have an early res # and lose maybe 10-15%. The demand for the first 18 months will stay HUGE!

I dunno, $42,500 buys a lot of other toys - in my family a one week vacation budget is $6K (for four of us), thats 7 weeks of vacation to some pretty cool places. Its also almost two years of tuition at a good state school like UVA, its a used single engine plane, it's stock in a high growth company like NVDA - that gave a 207% return in 2016. etc. etc...

This is very hard to justify.
I happened to get into NVDA in Dec. 2014, so to justify was easy. This car really rocks!
|v8.1(17.17.4)| AP2 |

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Kia is better built and you just did (albeit inadvertently). When was the last time you drove a Kia?
I've driven several Kia rental cars over the last few years. They were nothing even close to a Model S. I'm baffled by how you could say they are actually better than a Tesla. I've always liked the way the Optima looked, but I was surprised how terrible it drove compared to its exterior styling. The Sedona drove worse than my Toyota Sienna that has over 200,000 miles on it. Maybe you're talking about the electric Soul? What's it's max range?

Reactions: EinSV
I've driven several Kia rental cars over the last few years. They were nothing even close to a Model S. I'm baffled by how you could say they are actually better than a Tesla. I've always liked the way the Optima looked, but I was surprised how terrible it drove compared to its exterior styling. The Sedona drove worse than my Toyota Sienna that has over 200,000 miles on it. Maybe you're talking about the electric Soul? What's it's max range?

Don't be baffled. Kia/Hyundai not only makes cars that are on par with both Toyota and Honda, they are arguably further ahead of both manufacturers in terms of technology and future tech. But most consumers are unaware of this simply because you'd have to follow the industry very closely to know this. When Hyundai entered the U.S. market in 1986 (...if memory serves me correctly) with the Excel it was, admittedly a less then excellent car. But they sold a ton, got a foot in the door and after 25 years figured it out. To anyone who knee jerks that Hyundai or Kia are bad cars, even when compared to the almighty Model S, would be mistaken. I actually wrote a comparison between our Model X 75D and our Kia Soul EV + if your interested where a Soul EV is better and or worse then a Model X. Model X 75D vs Kia Soul EV+ Owner Review

To answer your question: EPA range for the Kia Soul EV is 93miles but reality is actually much more. I just completed 113.1 miles on one charge with 8 miles remaining for a total of 121. Kia says max range is 146mi under perfect conditions.. say off a cliff... with a tailwind.

IMG_20170508_204517098.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and NerdUno
Don't be baffled. Kia/Hyundai not only makes cars that are on par with both Toyota and Honda, they are arguably further ahead of both manufacturers in terms of technology and future tech. But most consumers are unaware of this simply because you'd have to follow the industry very closely to know this. When Hyundai entered the U.S. market in 1986 (...if memory serves me correctly) with the Excel it was, admittedly a less then excellent car. But they sold a ton, got a foot in the door and after 25 years figured it out. To anyone who knee jerks that Hyundai or Kia are bad cars, even when compared to the almighty Model S, would be mistaken. I actually wrote a comparison between our Model X 75D and our Kia Soul EV + if your interested where a Soul EV is better and or worse then a Model X. Model X 75D vs Kia Soul EV+ Owner Review

To answer your question: EPA range for the Kia Soul EV is 93miles but reality is actually much more. I just completed 113.1 miles on one charge with 8 miles remaining for a total of 121. Kia says max range is 146mi under perfect conditions.. say off a cliff... with a tailwind.

View attachment 227448
I've never driven one, but I really like the exterior styling of the Soul. I'm glad they made an electric version. I definitely wouldn't rule it out just because it's a Kia.

I'll wait for the new battery architecture and then pick up a used P100D for half the price in couple of years, the depreciation will be crushing on that car with the old 18650 battery's once the new 2170 high energy density battery's are released to the Model S platform, similar to the depreciation we saw when AP1 was released.

The current 18650 battery delivers 3,000 mA, and the new 2170 battery has been tested at 5,750-6,000 mA.

This will result in reduced cost as well as weight. My guess is, however, that on the high-end P100D, Tesla will take the increase in margin rather then lower the price. While they are transitioning between batteries, I could even see Tesla offering a P100D+ with the 2170's. The reduced weight will make it faster.

.........in my family a one week vacation budget is $6K (for four of us).

DDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM

We spend 7 nights at a motel for a grand total of 700$, we find a place that has free breakfast and load up on bagels.

Our daily excursions consist of nature walks

We also eat whatever food we can find in the forest.

I was going to get the P100D, but after driving a P85+ for over 60K miles, I couldn't make the move to my perception of a more sloppy suspension. Additionally, the price delta killed it for me - couldn't justify the same body, brakes, suspension, OS, to my wife's 90D.

Also I have dumped some nice upgrades into my car that would be a hassle moving and Tesla doesn't accommodate moving any of those things like a traditional dealer would (hitch, audio upgrades, security upgrades, wheels, etc).

I'll wait for the new battery architecture and then pick up a used P100D for half the price in couple of years, the depreciation will be crushing on that car with the old 18650 battery's once the new 2170 high energy density battery's are released to the Model S platform, similar to the depreciation we saw when AP1 was released.

The current 18650 battery delivers 3,000 mA, and the new 2170 battery has been tested at 5,750-6,000 mA.
The expected density of the new cel;s doesn't do much for the car. Elon claims they'll stick to 100kWh max for a while. And, the 2170's may turn out to be (much) faster charging. Like hypercharging, now that mere supercharging is free for anyone who cares again. Such a think might devalue th old cars nicely.