Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does The Steath Model 3 Exist?

ODWms

Mar 15, 2021
Tampa Bay Florida
free supercharging for 5000 usd for almost everyone a bad deal. people completely overestimate the money they spend on long distance travel charging
I was one who gladly gave up the free supercharging in exchange for the $5000 check. No way I’d have used that much supercharging in the lifetime of the car, same as most people. Besides, I’ve more than doubled that money in that time.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
I was one who gladly gave up the free supercharging in exchange for the $5000 check. No way I’d have used that much supercharging in the lifetime of the car, same as most people. Besides, I’ve more than doubled that money in that time.

put 5000 into a dividend stock i.e. shell stock and you got 300ish USD a year to blow on supercharging. Even in expensive states thats over 1000kwh supercharging a year or 6000-7000km.

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
According to one of the Tesla sales advisors I spoke to a few weeks ago when I took my vehicle in for a routine state inspection, Tesla no longer offers the Stealth (P3D- or whatever you want to call it) anymore… even as an off-menu configuration.

Who knows if this is actually true….
It's true

jwharnish

Aug 30, 2021
AZ
I believe, at the very beginning of the model 3 Performance model launch, the "performance upgrade package" (aka the extra bits that are currently not on the stealth model) was a 5k upcharge. Not long after that, they decided to "include" that stuff and people who had recently bought (and paid for) the PUP package raised a huge stink, and eventually got a chance to trade their free unlimited supercharging for the 5k they spent on the PUP.

So, My personal speculation on the answer to the question was, originally, the Performance upgrade package was going to be an add on purchase, then tesla decided that it would be "easier" to just included it on each car (1 less model, basically). They miscounted how popular the vehicle config might be, however.

They then saw how popular it was, and since at the time there was no additional cost to "make" a Stealth model 3 because the motors were exactly the same on the LR and the Performance, someone saw they could make some quick extra cash for just a software configuration change (something common in the computer industry but rare in vehicles).

So, they made some more, as dealer demos or whenever they didnt have some parts or other for the Performance upgrade package (speculation).
Pretty close. I order my Stealth in 2018 when offered. The Model 3 in 2018 had some options when building your car. AWD option, LR battery option, P option, 20" PUP option. Each option was of course additional cost. As I remember the AWD was 5K, LR battery 10K, P option ( I think 7K, not sure on that one), 20" PUP 5K.
For this discussion the P option came with 18" standard and the 20" PUP option was 5K.
This was offered for about 1 month, then the 18" option was dropped, and the 20" PUP became the only choice with the P option, offered then at 5K less than what it was, making it the same price at the base P with the 18's.
Enough Stealth owners complained about this, and TESLA responded with the 5K refund offer in exchange for the free Supercharging.
I suspect the 18" option was dropped to speed up production. Less options would increase production numbers, which is what TESLA was all about then. Not a mistake or anything other than offering options at the beginning of the P option, then cutting back on options to increase production.
These were available after 2018, sometimes online but not always. I think in showroom ordering sometimes was available, but also think the price was the same as the upgrade P cars. Don't think in showroom ordering is available currently for the Stealth, but with TESLA anything can change.

Spuzzz

Apr 20, 2016
Columbus, OH
Some say the 18” wheels are quieter, smoother, and yield a higher range. If they offered one now i’d probably buy that option. I’m not a track guy so I don’t need special brakes, but I love accelerating quickly from stoplights and passing on freeways unchallenged.

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Pretty close. I order my Stealth in 2018 when offered. The Model 3 in 2018 had some options when building your car. AWD option, LR battery option, P option, 20" PUP option. Each option was of course additional cost. As I remember the AWD was 5K, LR battery 10K, P option ( I think 7K, not sure on that one), 20" PUP 5K.
For this discussion the P option came with 18" standard and the 20" PUP option was 5K.
This was offered for about 1 month, then the 18" option was dropped, and the 20" PUP became the only choice with the P option, offered then at 5K less than what it was, making it the same price at the base P with the 18's.

To fill in blanks a bit-- LR wasn't really an "option"- it was the base car. It was listed as optional but there was no choice to remove it (and it was listed at 9k).

The SR wouldn't be introduced as a choice until 2019.

Oh, and the cost to go from the LR RWD base car to the LR AWD one varied between 4-6k depending when you ordered.

Which is why the upgrade to go to P varied between $9,000 and $11,000... and then ANOTHER 5k on top if you wanted the PUP.

At the time I was ordering I'd mentioned for ~10k more I'd have expected a significantly better suspension too- ideally something like magnetic dampers- but sadly no the base P and LR AWD were physically the same car, just bound by software to be a bit less quick in the non-P.

Given the only thing you got for an average of 10k at the time going from LR AWD to base P was a ~0.9 second quicker 0-60 it was an easy pass for me at the time... (and the 2k AB knocking out half that gap confirmed it as the right choice).

That said- for the lucky few who found an inventory P in 2019 for only 2k more than LR AWD, that's a no brainer purchase.

Msjulie

Jun 26, 2016
Monterey Peninsula
Happy Stealth was an option when I got my car, I wanted the extra go but the rims would have been toast on roads I drive.

Might have missed if anyone mentioned but early on all the rear motors on all the 3s were the same between performance and non. At some point that changed, speculation was Tesla realized they could build a slightly less expensive motor for the non-performance cars which others speculated is why sometimes stealth cars showed up now and again. Teals could create a small extra-cash opportunity by updating a non-performance car because the motor was the same.

Mine is my perfect car, looks like any other 3 with 19 OEM rims (I swapped them) but just that bit quicker. Also my insurance company doesn't think it's a performance model somehow which I'm ok with as well.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC