TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WHY does XM satellite radio require the glass roof?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by timk225, Sep 25, 2016.

1. timk225

timk225 Member

Excuse me if this topic has already been posted, I was too lazy to search.

I was on the Tesla site just now, speccing out a Model S for price comparison, and in the radio section I noticed that it says the glass panoramic roof is REQUIRED for XM satellite radio.

Why? My 2011 Challenger R/T has no such requirement, it has a metal roof and Sirius satellite radio.

And that's another thing --- Is the satellite radio in Teslas XM or Sirius or both? Didn't they merge? I'm just used to specifying Sirius because my R/T has that. I want to be able to listen to Howard Stern and 80s music and comedy channels when I get my Model 3, but if it is going to cost tons more money for options I don't even want, nah. Skip it.

I REFUSE to get a glass roof, I just plain don't need it or want the sun hitting me through it, (I like my R/T dark and cool inside with the A/C on) and I don't want to pay $1000+ for a stereo that has satellite radio in it.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

It's required but you might be able to buy a portable version of your own. The Tesla one is XM/Sirius and you can get Howard but you need the pano because that's where they put the XM antenna.

3. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

I don't believe it actually has to do with having a glass roof, but rather tesla has only integrated the antenna into that configuration.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

And there is no reason to assume that what applies for the Model S will apply for the Model 3. Perhaps they will design the Model 3 to accommodate an XM antenna with any roof config. All just speculation at this point.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Well he's pricing out the Model S so no speculation needed.

• Funny x 1
  6. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

He was pricing out a Model S to get an idea about his future Model 3 order it sounded to me. Apologies if that is incorrect.

7. msnow

msnow Active Member

Yes you're right. I missed that part.

8. timk225

timk225 Member

I was only pricing out the S because there is no 3 to price out yet. I was 3rd in line to get my 3 reservation on Day 1.

9. TES-E

TES-E Member

Glass roof was not always required. My 2 year old MS has XM Radio and a hard roof. I agree with the OP that a glass roof is a show stopper for me.

10. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Not only is pano roof required, but apparently the premium audio package is as well.

But I'm wondering if it's possible to bypass that last part. Which is what I've asked about here - XM without premium audio?

11. Hota

Hota Member

The Tesla sales consultant told me that there's no external antenna in the car so XM signals don't really get through the non-panorama roof. I guess before they required it for XM, people with standard roofs were getting really poor reception so they now require the glass roof for XM.

12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

That sounds a bit ... far fetched to me :cool:
    I found that I did not miss XM at all with Slacker and TuneIn available for free.

• Helpful x 1
  13. geobrick

geobrick Member

I didn't want the Pano roof either but I did want the premium radio. I was told I needed the pano roof if I wanted Sirius XM because the Antenna was integrated into the glass. I asked if the Sirius XM radio receiver was still included with the Premium Radio even though I didn't get the pano roof. They told me no. I assume it's an add on or plug-in for the premium radio.

My solution is to use the Sirius XM app on my iphone. We have a premium Sirius XM account set up in my wife's car that includes internet and app access. She can listen live via satellite in her car and I can use the phone app wherever I am. I use it mostly to listen to talk shows on demand (that I download to the phone) but the app can also live stream any of their channels. The steering wheel controls work for pause and skip but you'll have to select what you want to listen to on the phone's interface. Once selected, it will automatically stop when you leave the car and pickup again where you left off when you get back in. This also works for any other audio app on the phone (audible, etc). For music I mostly listen to FLAC files on a USB stick but I'll eventually set up slacker radio.

• Like x 1
  14. timk225

timk225 Member

So with all the engineering Tesla is doing, they couldn't figure out how to drill a hole and run a wire? Why not place the antenna way up front on the dash panel in the middle? Lots of glass space there!

If Dodge could manage to make a Sirius antenna work with a metal roof in my '11 Challenger R/T, surely Tesla can do it also.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Sales and Marketing 101 ... add desirable features to high priced packages :cool:

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

The windshield is shielded so the signal won't make it through there. They would probably need to put the antenna in the side view mirrors like the WiFi and Cellular ones are. (Speaking of which, where will they put the antennas once they lose the mirrors for cameras?)

17. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

This was the exact same answer I was told after raising the question about my car. I activated the xm radio for three months and had no issue with poor signal quality, although something might have changed in engineering requiring the change.

The Tesla sales consultant told me that there's no external antenna in the car so XM signals don't really get through the non-panorama roof. I guess before they required it for XM, people with standard roofs were getting really poor reception so they now require the glass roof for XM.

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I expect the M3 will not have satellite radio. Internet/streaming will be the primary audio source.

19. timk225

timk225 Member

With the Model 3 having a trunk lid, Surely Tesla can mount the external satellite antenna there and run its wires through the trunk frame and into the car. Minimal disruption to an easily replaceable body part (the trunk lid).

20. Lex

Lex Member

Satellite radio provider(s -- only 1 now) used to offer the car manufacturers some sort of sweet deal, I guess that is gone now and I don't remember any free service period for me either...

Gone are the days that Sirius XM actually earns your business I guess. And their monthly streaming plan is factors more expensive than Netflix -- what am I missing here ? ( psst hey Netflix, please add some live talk radio eh ;)

Though I got the pano and UHFS specifically for the XM radio I am mostly in the city so never bothered to subscribe the car's receiver and just stream the SXM talk content I listen to over the phone. SXM via satellite is now for people that are frequently out of cell range. But the rest of the subscribers pay the price of that extremely expensive constellation of satellites, I guess.