TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why Doesn’t My Car Know Me?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Jenlinking, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jenlinking

Jenlinking Supporting Member

I have had numerous instances where my M3 thinks I’m a threat and sets off Sentry mode. My Bluetooth key is connected so I don’t know why this is happening. I’ve also come out to my car in a dark parking lot in the inner city after getting off work and my door won’t open until I reopen my Tesla app. It would be nice if the Bluetooth key worked consistently and accurately... Anybody else have any of these issues?

2. arnolddeleon

arnolddeleon Supporting Member

How do you carry your phone? I normally carry my phone in front shirt pocket and that seems to work pretty well. When have it a back pocket (so my body is between the car the phone) it doesn't recognize me frequently.

Make sure you don't have aggressive battery management enabled on the app.

3. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

Maybe you and your M3 just need to spend more time together, just talking, perhaps a designated date night. If bad enough, perhaps some couples counseling.

• Funny x 1
  4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

When you say Bluetooth key I'm assuming you mean your phone. In my experience there are two things this is tied to. The first one is a permissions issue where you have to give permission for the Tesla app to see your location even when not being used. The second one is sometimes an IOS updates breaks the functionality. Like I had a month or two of having to always open up the app to get my door to unlock. Thankfully an IOS update fixed it.

Now if you don't want to go through all that hassle then just order a FOB.

As to the behavior of Sentry mode it's because the phone key isn't working properly.

5. ZackAttack

ZackAttack Member

I had the same issue but here is how I fixed it..
    In my Iphone settings, open Tesla
    Under location, select ALWAYS.

I had WHILE USING THE APP selected and that is why it only works when you open the app, hope this helps...

• Informative x 1
  6. Jlatchy

Jlatchy Member

I found that having “alway use location” causes a lot of drain on battery. Around 10% a day. ‍♂️

• Informative x 1
  7. Kvn!

Kvn! Member

On the car or the phone?

8. Jlatchy

Jlatchy Member

Phone. On the app.

9. Jlatchy

Jlatchy Member

Oh I’m sorry....I noticed my car battery dropped 10%.

10. Kvn!

Kvn! Member

Damn, that is a lot

11. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

Which phone?

12. Jenlinking

Sorry all - got busy and no time for reading forums :(. Looked in my phone (iPhone 11) and my Tesla app doesn’t even show up under location services so I can’t choose to have it always use my location. Went into the Telsa app settings both through the app and in the iPhone settings - still no options to allow the app to always use my location. The phone key is Bluetooth though and “should” know when I’m close. However, I think the issue is the car goes to sleep and isn’t waking up when I come close. I haven’t had the problem near as much the past couple weeks so maybe addressed in the last car/app updates. Thanks for the thoughts on this.

13. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

Just go to the top level under the settings app and scroll down until you see Tesla App.

Turn on location Always AND background App Refresh.

If you still have problems uninstall the app and reinstall and it will (eventually) ask permission for both those things. It probably did at one time and you said no, not always or you ignored it.

And no, it will not kill your car battery or your phone battery.

• Like x 1
  14. 21miDay

21miDay Member

I keep my location off unless I am going to use summon. My Bluetooth phone as key works consistently if I have the phone in my hand or a front pocket when I walk toward the car. It has trouble if I leave the phone in my bag.

15. Jenlinking

FYI - reinstalling worked. The app didn’t allow me to choose “always” for location sharing during set up, but I was able to go to the app from the top level settings on phone and select always there.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1