Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesnt my autopilot stop at signs and lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2018 model 3 and I have all available upgrades including autopilot. I'm signed up for advanced updates in my settings. I have friends who rave about the update that lets their Tesla autopilot stop at stop signs and traffic lights but for some reason mine doesn't do that. I'm a relatively new Tesla owner, am I missing something or do I need to request something from Tesla? Why isn't this working for me?

Attachments

• 20200530_114700.jpg
    20200530_114700.jpg
    559.1 KB · Views: 253
I purchased a 2018 model 3 and I have all available upgrades including autopilot. I'm signed up for advanced updates in my settings. I have friends who rave about the update that lets their Tesla autopilot stop at stop signs and traffic lights but for some reason mine doesn't do that. I'm a relatively new Tesla owner, am I missing something or do I need to request something from Tesla? Why isn't this working for me?

Did you enable the feature in your autopilot settings? You have to turn the feature on.

Has your car been upgraded to HW3?

If not- that's it.

If so- did you turn on the feature in settings? If not, that's it.

To check which version of hardware is in your car (its likely version 2.5 if its a 2018 model year tesla model 3, especially if you are the first / only owner and dont know which hardware you have), in the place where your screenshot is, click the blue "additional information" link. Look for the words "full self driving computer". You likely wont see that, and if not, thats the reason why your car does not have the stoplight feature.

you will need to schedule an upgrade to the new Hardware 3 computer with your local service center, and once they get that part in stock, and install it in your car, you will have that feature.

To check which version of hardware is in your car (its likely version 2.5 if its a 2018 model year tesla model 3, especially if you are the first / only owner and dont know which hardware you have), in the place where your screenshot is, click the blue "additional information" link. Look for the words "full self driving computer". You likely wont see that, and if not, thats the reason why your car does not have the stoplight feature.

you will need to schedule an upgrade to the new Hardware 3 computer with your local service center, and once they get that part in stock, and install it in your car, you will have that feature.

That must be it, as far as I can see, I don't have the option in autopilot settings. So to confirm, I should schedule a service and request HW3?
I'm attaching screenshots of what I see
20200530_130132.jpg
20200530_130026.jpg
20200530_130040.jpg

I just had the hw3 installed, but somehow it doesn't allow me to enable the feature to stop at stop/traffic lights.. it says to enable wifi to download latest maps but according to the car it has the latest.

Does anyone know what version map is needed?

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_100907.jpg
    IMG_20200531_100907.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
I have only played with the new features briefly, but in my case the car always stopped correctly at every stop sign, but in the case of traffic lights it warned me that it was about to stop at every light regardless of whether the light was red or green. If that is the current state of how it works I don’t see it as being terribly useful.

And, the HW3 upgrade caused my phone to stop functioning correctly over the hands free speaker system. This required a subsequent visit back to the service center for them to fix a “loose connection” on the HW3 computer.

I just had the hw3 installed, but somehow it doesn't allow me to enable the feature to stop at stop/traffic lights.. it says to enable wifi to download latest maps but according to the car it has the latest.

Does anyone know what version map is needed?
You have the correct map version. The car may need to sleep (or power cycle) before the option becomes selectable. If it doesn't you should open a service request from within the app.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
Can you elaborate this? People on the end of the phone say they hear a bad echo in my car after HW3 update.

After installing HW3 when making or receiving phone calls the sound was completely inaudible. It just made a low gurgling sound like you were talking under water. But it was completely inaudible. I tried all the usual remedies - reboot, delete and re-add, tried a second IPhone...nothing fixed it. So we took it into the service center and they acknowledged there was a loose connection on the HW3 computer. They tightened the connection and now everything works fine.

Can you elaborate this? People on the end of the phone say they hear a bad echo in my car after HW3 update.
I have HW 2.5 and callers complain about echo all the time. I have turned my call volume level down quite a bit and that seems to have helped, but when driving at high speeds with lots of wind noise it is hard for me to hear. Tesla needs better noise cancellation for in-car calling.