Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't my Model Y shutdown and/or keeps waking up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y AWD LR for a few weeks now. When I park it in the garage, even after a short trip, something under the fronk keeps running. Sometimes for hours (literally). And sometimes when I go into the garage many hours later (or next day) something under the fronk wakes up.

Some details:
1-Doors are closed and the temperature monitoring feature to keep the car cool (can't remember the exact name) is turned off.
2-Screen is NOT active when the fan keeps running, nor when we go into the garage the next day and whatever makes noise under the fronk wakes up.
3-It is not plugged in.
4-Sentry mode is turned off at home.
5-It does this even when my phone app is OFF, or even when I don't have my phone with me.
6-Temperature around here has been hot - 90's outside, 80-90F in the garage.
7-It isn't trying to run the AC - at least not to cool the inside of the car.
8-I don't seem to be losing miles overnight

I know it will cool the battery after a trip, but something keeps going for hours even after a 2-3 mile trip.

My wife just went into the garage and a fan was running (low level). Car hasn't been used in 2 days. Temp in the garage is 75F. She didn't have her phone or key card on her. Her phone was in the bedroom (40-50' away) and the app was not even on in background.

Does anyone know what's going on? After a few hours there shouldn't be anything that needs to run or be cooled off.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
I knew that it would use battery power to maintain its systems. The manual even warns about leaving it at an airport parking lot and coming back to an empty battery.

But I would have expected that the relatively small load on such a large battery wouldn't require any active cooling. It's almost like it's using more power to keep the battery cool than it's using to maintain it's internal systems.

If it's normal then I'll ignore it.

Thanks.

From page 127 of the Manual:

• Even when not in use, you may hear Model Y emit a whining noise or the sound of water circulating. These sounds are normal and occur when the internal cooling systems turn on to support various vehicle functions, such as maintaining the 12V battery and balancing the temperature of the high voltage Battery.

The fan will run for a while after you use the car to dry up the AC evaporator. That is to prevent bad odors from eventually forming. It's a fairly new change in the software. Pumps will also run for a while.
With that said, there is no reason I can see for the car to wake up simply when you walk by it. That could happen is sentry mode is on but then the car would never sleep so you would lose range during the night.

The car will automatically wake up from time to time. It might send data to Tesla for example.