Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't TACC/AP follow changes in the speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always wondered this. The system knows the speed limit when it engages TACC or AP and when the limit changes, so why doesn't the car follow the change automatically? (Model S AP1, I assume the later cars are the same)

Always wondered this. The system knows the speed limit when it engages TACC or AP and when the limit changes, so why doesn't the car follow the change automatically? (Model S AP1, I assume the later cars are the same)
When using AP1 on a non-divided highway, it does automatically slow down/speed up.
Would be nice if it could be turned on for divided highway.
Main trouble is those dammed <end of 80> signs Queensland uses.

Autopilot will no longer automatically change the speed once you've used the stalk to manually change speeds.
When driving e.g. on a country road, the if AP is engaged it will go from 80 - 70 - 60 as the signs indicate when passing but never goes back to 70 (or above) when leaving the 60 zone, even if I have never touched the controls after activating AP.
It has never gone up for me, only down.

Driving today in SA from Adelaide to Clare. Pretty much AP all the way. AP2 Model X with HW2 and FSD optioned. Speed selection to Max for speed limit. AP largely successfully managed the automatic transition between speed zones both up and down between 50/60/80/100 km/hr maintaining the Max speed for the appropriate zone. There is just a slight lag as AP kicks in just after passing the speed sign rather than slowing in anticipation.

Driving today in SA from Adelaide to Clare. Pretty much AP all the way. AP2 Model X with HW2 and FSD optioned. Speed selection to Max for speed limit. AP largely successfully managed the automatic transition between speed zones both up and down between 50/60/80/100 km/hr maintaining the Max speed for the appropriate zone. There is just a slight lag as AP kicks in just after passing the speed sign rather than slowing in anticipation.

Good that it works with AP2.

I did as @doctorwho suggested above and it doesn't go back up with AP1. From setting at 70kph it reduced to 60 then 50 as per the speed signs, then when passing the next two 60 signs it did not increase speed until I pulled and held the stalk toward me. Decrease of speed only happens after passing the sign as the camera catches the image on passing.

Good that it works with AP2.

I did as @doctorwho suggested above and it doesn't go back up with AP1. From setting at 70kph it reduced to 60 then 50 as per the speed signs, then when passing the next two 60 signs it did not increase speed until I pulled and held the stalk toward me. Decrease of speed only happens after passing the sign as the camera catches the image on passing.

My AP1 75D does as @doctorwho explained, if I engage AP at 100km/h it'll slow down for slower limited sections and then return back to 100km/h when signed 100km/h again providing I haven't changed the speed manually or disengaged/reengaged prior to the 100km/h sign (perfect example is a 60km/h township with 100km/h either side, AP1 will slow for the town and return to back to 100 when sign posted). It will only speed up to the engaged speed, not necessarily the sign posted speed (e.g. if you engage at 80 and pass a 100 sign it'll only speed up to 80, not 100). I've use this behaviour often and would quickly notice if it was removed/changed.

It really isn't a case of this working for some cars and not others, but of it working on some roads and not others. The car has a road database to determine if it should automatically raise and lower speeds automatically. The database is not perfect, so sometimes it works and sometimes not.

BTW, if you want this functionality when driving under just TACC, you can hold the cruise lever toward you as you pass through a speed reduction and increase area. The speed will lower and raise as you would like it to do on its own, but does not.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
It really isn't a case of this working for some cars and not others, but of it working on some roads and not others. The car has a road database to determine if it should automatically raise and lower speeds automatically. The database is not perfect, so sometimes it works and sometimes not.

BTW, if you want this functionality when driving under just TACC, you can hold the cruise lever toward you as you pass through a speed reduction and increase area. The speed will lower and raise as you would like it to do on its own, but does not.
The database explanation makes sense given my experience v others.