Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't Tesla use traditional model years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that can unnecessarily complicate things.

You keep saying that it complicates things on the resale side, but I find it much more complicated to either have to rush features that are not ready, or alternatively table features that have been ready for 11 months just to be able to meet some arbitrary deadline.

Why don't you instead advocate for a version number that's akin to the E- project numbers BMW uses?

Not using model years for things like cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes and other higher dollar manufactured items that tend to be sold and traded over and over is failing to recognize how people react to, shop, evaluate, appraise, etc. these types of goods now and in the future based on style and other significant changes that can be tied to model years.

Someone looking at ‘2010’ models shouldn’t have to wonder if the car is the old style or new style or if a price guide/source reflects the old style or new style.

Someone ordering a car or having one on order shouldn’t have to wonder if it will arrive with the facelift nose or the old nose. With model years, when you order a ‘2016’ you know what it will look like. No wondering, questions, etc.

Model years just make sense for several reasons for products like cars and the like.
I have to agree. As a "car guy" I always look at cars and guess the year. It just makes sense. I will look at a 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle and know it's a '72 due to the round taillghts or a 1970 with rectangular taillights. I like the small changes made sometimes to a new look in a model change

Reactions: CapeOne
Model years just make sense for several reasons for products like cars and the like.
Except that in North America it typically means either you only do improvements once a year, or you have a model year that's two years ahead, or you have 1/2 or 1/4 model years which doesn't fit with any registration system. Tesla does continual improvements so there's only minimal relation to the year of manufacture. As far as I know, in the rest of the world the model year is the year of manufacture, regardless of any changes that may occur.

Model years are an abomination.
Categorizing major changes does have some limited advantages.

I think your criticism isn't so much that Tesla uses the Calander year, but that Tesla has made updates to cars immediately, rather than waiting and doing a bunch of them at once.

That is valid, although I don't think it is a big deal.
When Tesla has an improvement, they implement it immediately.
Legacy automakers make a design improvement, they wait.

The Model Year idea has become ridiculous. GM released their 2017 Volt this last spring! You could get a 2016 Cruze that is newer than a 2017 Volt. How does that make sense?

And it has become a competition. Each year the "new" model years come out earlier and earlier to "one up" the competition.

As for Tesla's method, I LIKE the fact that Tesla makes improvements to their new cars as they are ready, rather than waiting.
I also LOVE the fact Tesla makes updates to their existing cars on a regular basis, and doesn't even require me to drive anywhere to get the software updates applied.

You keep saying that it complicates things on the resale side, but I find it much more complicated to either have to rush features that are not ready, or alternatively table features that have been ready for 11 months just to be able to meet some arbitrary deadline.
A manufacturer wouldn’t have to rush anything. Many of the Tesla's regular updates don’t significantly impact the car's value and can still be released any time during a model year or sometimes even after the car is delivered to the customer. On top of that, things like significant style changes don’t have to be rushed either as model years aren’t required to be tied to a particular release month. A manufacturer can choose to delay if they want or need to.

Why don't you instead advocate for a version number that's akin to the E- project numbers BMW uses?
I am not familiar with how the E-project does its version identifications but I did already also suggest doing something like Model S 2.0, Model S 3.0, etc.as a possible alternative to Tesla using model years.

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
Because they don't have to.

People don't buy.a 2013 car. They buy the car that they can afford that happens to have most of the options they want and that happens to be whatever year it is.
People often shop for cars by model year(s). This is why auto classified-type site have model years as one of the primary search options. Even Tesla lists their new inventory and CPO cars with 2014, 2015, etc.

• Disagree
The marketplace, consumers, etc. usually focus on model years not just with cars but motorcycles, motorhomes, boats, etc. Even Tesla’s own website lists the new and CPO inventory vehicles as 2014, 2015, etc. instead of 3/2014 or 6/2015, etc.

No, the consumer/marketplace used to focus on model years for their ICE vehicle purchases. The EV consumer/marketplace buys cars based on what options they want and can afford.

Don't worry, you're never too old to change. I have faith in you. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: deonb and dhrivnak
No, the consumer/marketplace used to focus on model years for their ICE vehicle purchases. The EV consumer/marketplace buys cars based on what options they want and can afford.

Don't worry, you're never too old to change. I have faith in you. ;)
Obviously options, prices, miles, etc. are factors along with identifying by specific years. In addition to model name, options, miles, etc. even Tesla lists their inventories with years. Perhaps you think Tesla needs to 'get with it' and drop all that 2014, 2015 stuff? Why should they bother with years if the "EV consumer/marketplace" only cares about options and price/affordability as you say?

• Disagree
People often shop for cars by model year(s). This is why auto classified-type site have model years as one of the primary search options. Even Tesla lists their new inventory and CPO cars with 2014, 2015, etc.

Only because of underlying price or particular optioning concerns. For example, my last ICE was a hardtop Volvo convertible. Those started in 2007. I didn't care that it was a 2007 or newer. I just didn't need to sift through older models as they were of no interest since they had a soft top.

Now, fast forward to the Model S. I would never buy a pre-AP car. Well, that means approximately Sept 2014 forward. However, if someone happened to order a car slightly before that with parking sensors, then they were upgrade-eligible (happened to a friend when she just happened to lease a Model S with that option - lucky for her). Point being that one still has to check the optioning with a fine-toothed comb.

Similarly with the Volvo, there was an undocumented repositioning of the Bluetooth functionality between 2006-2009 which was decidedly not correctly reflected in the owners manual. So again...

Obviously options, prices, miles, etc. are factors along with identifying by specific years. In addition to model name, options, miles, etc. even Tesla lists their inventories with years. Perhaps you think Tesla needs to 'get with it' and drop all that 2014, 2015 stuff? Why should they bother with years if the "EV consumer/marketplace" only cares about options and price/affordability as you say?

This is clearly a very serious issue to you. Me, not so much - obviously. But point being, Tesla does it their way. Always has, always will. But you're free to keep hoping along with those who are still wanting door pocket storage, dry cleaning hooks and grab straps. :D

Having model years ties Tesla to a schedule which they don't want or need. As others have said when they are ready to make a change they simply make it and don't worry about model years.
Does that sometimes cause problems? Yes especially when they introduce a major change but it also gives them much greater flexibility.
One of the many reasons people like Tesla is they don't adhere to the industry norms and are different. I certainly fall into that category.

Having model years ties Tesla to a schedule which they don't want or need. As others have said when they are ready to make a change they simply make it and don't worry about model years..
In what way does using model years prevent Tesla from doing the type of changes they want to make and when they want to make them? Other manufacturers make changes during the model year, why couldn’t Tesla continue to do the same?

Does that sometimes cause problems? Yes especially when they introduce a major change but it also gives them much greater flexibility..
It creates problems, yes, and I don't see why Tesla would want to create problems unnecessarily as changes, flexibility, etc. are still possible when using model years. If they want to do a major redesign (which are rare), they can still release it anytime they're ready and I think distinguishing an all-new design from the old design with a different model year would be a benefit at that time (new) and in the future (used/resale/etc).

No one has given me an example of a change Tesla has made to the Model S that couldn't have been done if they were using traditional model years. The closest I can think of myself is the new nose but even that wasn’t significant enough to need to carry a different model year but it easily could have been released as a '2017' and eliminate any future questions/issues/etc. regarding whether or not a '2016 Model S' has the new nose or the old nose.

One of the many reasons people like Tesla is they don't adhere to the industry norms and are different. I certainly fall into that category.
I guess I think there are much better things to like Tesla for than being different and don't see the benefit of "not adhering" to the industry norms (which in this case also includes the motorcycle, snowmobile, motorhome, etc. industries) just to be different especially when it can create "problems" (as you stated).

CapeOne if you want an example just think back to the AP announcement. Tesla included mid year both AP hardware and the software later in the year that supported the hardware.
Can you think of a similar example from Audi, BMW or Mercedes?

My question is why does it really matter? And while you can give examples like motorcycles, snowmobiles etc. that have model years there are just as many examples where there aren''t model years, especially for electronics.

Year vs.year style changes are a very big factor too e.g. a car was redesigned in 2014 so I only want to look at cars 2014 or newer or I like the 2011-213 style of a particular model so only want to consider cars of those years, etc.
In many parts of the world, there are factory holidays in August and that time is used to configure the production line for the new models. As the model year equals the year the car was manufactured in those countries (not one or two years before) you can't tell by the year which style it is. No one living in those countries seems to have a problem figuring out which style is which. There's really no reason to be limited to model years--especially when there are something like 35 changes made each month (that's the number I recall Elon tweeting--I could be misremembering).