Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't 3rd party superchargers offer Tesla adapters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are seeing some 3rd party (non-Tesla) superchargers. But, I don't see any that offer a Tesla adapter. This seems strange since they would get much more business with a Tesla adapter. The CHAdeMO Adapter has been out a while. Why don't they offer a Tesla adapter??

We are seeing some 3rd party (non-Tesla) superchargers. But, I don't see any that offer a Tesla adapter. This seems strange since they would get much more business with a Tesla adapter. The CHAdeMO Adapter has been out a while. Why don't they offer a Tesla adapter??
If you mean a Chademo-to-Tesla adapter, there is one from Tesla and some EVGo stations have installed one as @Sophias_dad linked.

If you mean a CCS-to-Tesla adapter, they're gated by the same problem other cars have charging on Tesla's network: Tesla doesn't have a published spec for how to connect to their stations or cars which they put out--you have to sign a bunch of agreements with Tesla first, and they're apparently rather picky in who they choose joint development with (demanding things like large upfront payments and large payments per car or per adapter for each ne vehicle which could talk to their cars). Without working with Tesla, you're stuck reverse-engineering it from scratch. Thus, for instance, the Setec/Lectron CCS adapter apparently impersonates the Tesla Chademo adapter (which is why it's limited to 50 kW on many models). Any other CCS adapter would face the same problem unless they worked with Tesla on developing it--and they risk Tesla interfering if their sales get large enough by changing protocols or validation.

Tesla's apparently releasing a CCS1 adapter in Korea this year (it was supposed to be the first half, but they're now saying second half), which hopefully might be usable with US cars as well and will also hopefully support more than the 50 kW limit of the Chademo adaptor, but we'll have to see.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
We are seeing some 3rd party (non-Tesla) superchargers.
No you aren't. Superchargers (TM) are the trademarked name of the Tesla branded fast charging stations. There are CCS or CHAdeMO stations from many other charging companies. The answers to your questions are going to get confusing if you keep saying superchargers while not talking about Superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
I haven't charged at any non-SC stations yet, and wanted to, just to try them out before I'd need to use one. Unfortunately, they are few and far between in my area (Central NJ), and the ones that are here are either CCS or CHAdeMO. I have the J1772 adapter that came with my car. I assume that if a station says 'Level 2' (in addition to CCS and CHAdeMO) that means it's probably a J1772? A couple also list a 'combo' type that looks like a J1772 with the additional 2-plug attachment on the bottom (like a CCS). Can I use that with the J1772 adapter?

I haven't charged at any non-SC stations yet, and wanted to, just to try them out before I'd need to use one. Unfortunately, they are few and far between in my area (Central NJ), and the ones that are here are either CCS or CHAdeMO. I have the J1772 adapter that came with my car. I assume that if a station says 'Level 2' (in addition to CCS and CHAdeMO) that means it's probably a J1772? A couple also list a 'combo' type that looks like a J1772 with the additional 2-plug attachment on the bottom (like a CCS). Can I use that with the J1772 adapter?
CCS = Combined Charging Standard = Combo

The only thing your J1772 adapter is used for is L2 charging, this is equivelent to Tesla Destination chargers, Tesla wall connector, or your mobile connector. If you want to use non Tesla DC fast charging you need either an CHAdeMO adapter or CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter is available directly from Tesla, the CCS adapter can be found in the aftermarket.

Hope this helps,

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
CCS = Combined Charging Standard = Combo

The only thing your J1772 adapter is used for is L2 charging, this is equivelent to Tesla Destination chargers, Tesla wall connector, or your mobile connector. If you want to use non Tesla DC fast charging you need either an CHAdeMO adapter or CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter is available directly from Tesla, the CCS adapter can be found in the aftermarket.

Hope this helps,

Keith
Keith,

It sure looks like, at some locations, EVGO is offering Tesla connections on DC fast chargers: Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging

Reactions: boulder.dude
Keith,

It sure looks like, at some locations, EVGO is offering Tesla connections on DC fast chargers: Tesla Model 3, S, X & Y Charging with EVgo Fast Charging
Yup, this is a fairly new thing. In many cases they have a CHAdeMO adapter attached to the charger for Tesla use (I have seen pictures of these), in others it is my understanding that they have actually added a Tesla connector (haven't seen pictures of this yet).

Keith

Yup, this is a fairly new thing. In many cases they have a CHAdeMO adapter attached to the charger for Tesla use (I have seen pictures of these), in others it is my understanding that they have actually added a Tesla connector (haven't seen pictures of this yet).

Keith
There are actually a couple of those here in NJ, after looking at the map. They seem to be in Tesla SC locations, though, which doesn't make much sense, unless the SC is full, I guess.

Keith
They show a Tesla connector in their video as well as an availability map on the web site. I'm going out to try one in a while.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.38.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.38.32 AM.png
    125 KB · Views: 87
Maybe; in the US the combined charging system (CCS) connector has the standard J1772 pins plus two additional pins for DC fast charging. One downside of using the CCS charging station with your Tesla J1772 adapter is that you will be paying to charge. You would be better off using PlugShare or Google Maps to locate public Level 2 charging stations in your area. In some cases these are free to use (typically for up to 2 hours) while you shop or dine. Most of the public Level 2 charging stations I have used have enabled my Model Y to charge at ~200V and 30A; 6kW charging.

A couple also list a 'combo' type that looks like a J1772 with the additional 2-plug attachment on the bottom (like a CCS). Can I use that with the J1772 adapter?
Maybe; in the US the combined charging system (CCS) connector has the standard J1772 pins plus two additional pins for DC fast charging. One downside of using the CCS charging station with your Tesla J1772 adapter is that you will be paying to charge.
Dude, I love ya, and you're usually super helpful, but not on this one. There is no possible way to use a CCS charging handle through the Tesla J1772 adapter to charge the car. It just doesn't work at all. That top part looks sort of like the J1772 at first glance, but it's not quite the same--it's missing a couple of the pins. The CCS connector just doesn't supply any AC power. It just does a little signaling to communicate from the upper part, but then it's ONLY sending charging power in DC form on the bottom two pins. And besides that, part of the way the plastic around it is built has a notch or something that prevents the Tesla J1772 adapter from even being put on there.

Maybe; in the US the combined charging system (CCS) connector has the standard J1772 pins plus two additional pins for DC fast charging. One downside of using the CCS charging station with your Tesla J1772 adapter is that you will be paying to charge. You would be better off using PlugShare or Google Maps to locate public Level 2 charging stations in your area. In some cases these are free to use (typically for up to 2 hours) while you shop or dine. Most of the public Level 2 charging stations I have used have enabled my Model Y to charge at ~200V and 30A; 6kW charging.
Not correct, The CCS connector has no provisions for doing AC charging, the part that looks like the J1772 connector only has 3 pins in it instead of the 5 in an actual J1772 connector.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe