Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't people drag race with mirrors folded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard Elon Musk mention that if they removed side mirrors it would improve drag resistance quite a bit and I'd imagine this is probably something they'll do sometime in the future with camera mirrors on the inside, like the new Honda.

But for now we still have the mirrors on the outside. All the drag racers I've seen have the cars with the mirrors folded out. I thought this might be because the car won't let you fold them while driving. However I tested this today and it appears that you can fold your mirrors in drive mode. So the question is, if mirrors cause drag, why don't people fold them in to try and minimise drag and maximise their times. I doubt it would make much of difference but considering the lengths people go to to improve times, it's got to be worth a try?

I've actually seen that video before, never noticed him press the button. So it looks like they must unfold over a certain speed then as when the camera cuts to his exterior you can see they're still unfolded.

Yeah, I have mine auto fold when I get home. When I leave the house, I don't manually unfold because it does that automatically once I drive off within a block

I've heard Elon Musk mention that if they removed side mirrors it would improve drag resistance quite a bit and I'd imagine this is probably something they'll do sometime in the future with camera mirrors on the inside, like the new Honda.

But for now we still have the mirrors on the outside. All the drag racers I've seen have the cars with the mirrors folded out. I thought this might be because the car won't let you fold them while driving. However I tested this today and it appears that you can fold your mirrors in drive mode. So the question is, if mirrors cause drag, why don't people fold them in to try and minimise drag and maximise their times. I doubt it would make much of difference but considering the lengths people go to to improve times, it's got to be worth a try?
Because then you can't see the people you are racing.

• Funny
Reactions: mrau and SubSolar