Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't the Galleries have Superchargers available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Sure I understand that it's not that simple, but it would seem like an obvious place to put one. I suppose they just have HPWCs for the demo vehicles

We'll be heading to Corpus Christi next week and I see there's Three Rivers and Kingsville and Victoria, but nothing in Corpus Christi itself - although there is a Gallery there

What do people who live there do? Just use their own HPWC?

There are two questions here:
What do people who live there do? Just use their own HPWC?
Well yes. The vast majority of people with electric cars right now are people who have some availability to just plug in at home. It's far easier than having to go to a "filling station", like the gas car paradigm.

Sure I understand that it's not that simple, but it would seem like an obvious place to put one. I suppose they just have HPWCs for the demo vehicles
understood, and I agree, but I just thought that an SC at a gallery seemed like a logical thing for use on long journeys
Why? Building a Supercharger isn't just like they can pull up in a van, get one out of the back and throw it down in the parking lot. It's a really big construction project, so they have to decide where they can put them and what are good appropriate locations.

So now why would Tesla galleries or stores be preferred for people to spend time? The idea is usually a place with some decent amenities where people would enjoy spending some time. In general, the two main things that fit that are food and shopping. Tesla stores have neither of those. So the main places they choose as sites to build Superchargers tend to be near shopping centers and malls and restaurants, where people can go around and do some stuff, as you mentioned, the kind of stuff people would WANT to use on long journeys--not look around in Tesla stores.

That all makes sense. I guess I was just thinking of there already being a presence at that location - plus they could use the facility to show how fast supercharging really is, seeing as that's something that often gets commented on by people wo don't own a Tesla

Ok then