Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why dont we have a “jeep wave?”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve always thought of jeep owners as part of a cult but always thought their wave thing was cool. You see almost every jeep owner wave when they pass another jeep. Why can’t we have a wave or a sign like we all turn on our windshield wipers or pop our charging door? A simple wave isn’t out to the question either. It’s not like jeep owners are the only ones that have a universal wave. Motorcycle gangs, Amish people, taxi drivers, all use a wave. Why can’t we?
Let’s start discuss what wave would be best. I’m open for ideas ;)

I’ve always thought of jeep owners as part of a cult but always thought their wave thing was cool. You see almost every jeep owner wave when they pass another jeep. Why can’t we have a wave or a sign like we all turn on our windshield wipers or pop our charging door? A simple wave isn’t out to the question either. It’s not like jeep owners are the only ones that have a universal wave. Motorcycle gangs, Amish people, taxi drivers, all use a wave. Why can’t we?
Let’s start discuss what wave would be best. I’m open for ideas ;)
We used to thumbs up every model S when they came out . with model X if it came more rare and with model three it was just a thing between old timers

Reactions: TomT
I've owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees - one for 10 years and the other for 8 years. In all that time I never saw another Jeep driver wave at me and it never occurred to me to wave to another Jeep. I've had my M3 for nearly a year now. There aren't many of them where I live so I always notice them but I've never seen another Tesla driver wave at me and I have never waved at them...thank God!

The Tesla wave used to be common when they were rare and because you had to make a pretty conscious decision to be different. Now they are everywhere and often it's usually a no brainer, nobody is taking a risk buying a Tesla now. The wave is an acknowledgement of understanding and being part of a club.

Jeeps/Motorcycles/Amish all makes sense also because they are open to the air and I would also guess a lifestyle choice.

Except for the closed in new "barbie" jeeps, I doubt they wave to each other.

You'll probably see CyberTruck drivers wave for a bit to each other until you start seeing more than one per day.

Sounds like a motorcycle thing or cyclist. I pass so many people on my road bike and people wave a lot, like 80% or more. Unless I group ride with them and recognize someone, ignore. Keeping my hands on the bars is better and more important. Yay you have a bike too!!!

As a former Corvette owner for 10 years, the “wave” was a big deal. It was a form of acknowledgment of all the generations and rich history of this marque. When the Vettes would organise a “cruise”, the towns we would drive through would always get excited at seeing so many of them, and from different years.

A Corvette “brother” recently passed on from a brave fight he lost to cancer. Over 80 Corvettes drove by his home in an organized “drive by” just days before he died. It meant a lot to him. It’s a cultural thing, in the end.

I’ve always thought of jeep owners as part of a cult but always thought their wave thing was cool. You see almost every jeep owner wave when they pass another jeep. Why can’t we have a wave or a sign like we all turn on our windshield wipers or pop our charging door?
Because Jeep (and other car sub-groups of folks) are car people. They enjoy driving their cars, and recognize others who share that passion.
The same goes for a few car makes as well: classic cars, P-cars, BMWs (mostly ///M's), Corvettes, many exotic car makes, etc.

Never gonna happen with the Tesla folks... wrong audience.
I had tried waving to other Tesla drivers around my part of the world, but never got a wave back.
Met many Tesla owners. Car guys among them knew exactly what I was talking about. The other 95% though we were weird. ;)

Coach bus drivers (used to - it's been a while since I was actively driving) flash their Clearance Lamps (CLps) when passing at night and usually give a wave in daylight. Most people in the same profession (especially if a uniform is involved) will give a nod or a variation on a wave/military salute but, when it comes to similar vehicle taste, it seems to be more of an occasional thing.

When the 3 was new and rare, I got and gave waves but, since they were so rare, I was just as likely to completely miss the other one in a sea of "grilled" ICEs. I think, at this point, it's more likely to happen when two (almost) identical Teslas are near each other in a parking lot or slow traffic. Maybe, someday, we'll be able to give them a thumbs up on the screen (in a hands free way) like the way Waze lets users acknowledge each other.

Because Jeep (and other car sub-groups of folks) are car people. They enjoy driving their cars, and recognize others who share that passion.
The same goes for a few car makes as well: classic cars, P-cars, BMWs (mostly ///M's), Corvettes, many exotic car makes, etc.

Never gonna happen with the Tesla folks... wrong audience.
I had tried waving to other Tesla drivers around my part of the world, but never got a wave back.
Met many Tesla owners. Car guys among them knew exactly what I was talking about. The other 95% though we were weird. ;)
I’ve had more M cars that I care to count right now. Never have I waved nor been waved at in the Ms.