Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don't we have (more) curbside charging for EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The City of Los Angeles has some interesting ones that are mounted about 12 feet (4m) up on a pole. One activates them via an app and the J-1772 connector descends so you can plug it in. It retracts when you're done charging.
I'm not sure how reliable it is and it is undoubtedly expensive, but the concept seems good.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and Big Earl
The City of Los Angeles has some interesting ones that are mounted about 12 feet (4m) up on a pole. One activates them via an app and the J-1772 connector descends so you can plug it in. It retracts when you're done charging.
I'm not sure how reliable it is and it is undoubtedly expensive, but the concept seems good.
I saw a youtube on those devices installed near Boston, what a great idea!

I don't see that scaling well, it had a meter, breaker box, and a huge pedestal, way too larger for a simple L2 EVSE.

Hopefully, someday what they have in the UK will make it to the states:

We need something that is small, inexpensive, robust, easy to install that is not an eyesore.

Charlotte doesn't have to worry about snowplows or places to stack snow. I don't think that this will hold up to snow plows pushing back the snow.

Reactions: Big Earl
I don't see that scaling well, it had a meter, breaker box, and a huge pedestal, way too larger for a simple L2 EVSE.

Hopefully, someday what they have in the UK will make it to the states:

We need something that is small, inexpensive, robust, easy to install that is not an eyesore.

Charlotte doesn't have to worry about snowplows or places to stack snow. I don't think that this will hold up to snow plows pushing back the snow.
In Montreal this is what we have all over the place and they handle the snow fine
1645993328978.png

Yep, looks like a lot of greenwashing and lip-service to social justice without actually doing anything. I hate to think of how much money they spent on that contraption that the politicians are patting themselves on the back for. They'd probably be doing the planet and the neighborhood a whole lot more good by installing a lot of simple systems instead of this big behemoth that makes a big splash for the ribbon cutting ceremony.
I suppose with the new Biden plan, we can expect to see a whole lot more of this kind of feel-good spectacle with little actual value.

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl