Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Why Dorothy, you had a VIN the whole time.."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so the backstory is my M3 was totaled last month. As soon as I got word from Insurance company, I put in the order for a Blue/Black/AWD/19" Gemini/FSD.
So my Tesla account page had both cars. For whatever reason, sentimental or superstitious, I didn't remove my totaled M3 from my account yet. So when I did a VIN search, it was always on my "Tesla Account" page, which would always show the old vin, and just the RN for the MY. I even had the "Tesla Account" page on my phone Chrome browser opened to the source code: view-source:http, etc.. just so I can easily check throughout my day.

Today, just on a whim, I went to the MY "Manage" page, and saw the "Submit Final Payment". So when I searched the source code in the MY page, there was my VIN! 0095XX

Keep in mind, we've gotten no texts or emails. So in theory, it could've been there for a few days and I had no idea..
Now I just have to wait until the cash goes from savings to checking before submitting final payment, then I'll probably get a timeframe. But it looks like it's coming soon! Now I can fret over build quality, but I'll be honest - it'll have to be quite bad for me to refuse delivery. My M3 had a couple things that had to be dealt with, but I didn't even notice until I had it for a week - and was able to get them taken care of at the SC.

I fanatically was checking my source code for VIN. A few minutes after my last check, I got a text to set up a delivery. I checked source code again and the VIN was there, along with MVPA.

Since I live in the Bay Area, there is no lag time for long delivery journeys. But once you see the VIN, your car is either been built or is about to be built, so you delivery text won't be far behind (depending on distance from Fremont, CA).

So my car is apparently en route to Chicago, and from there it will be scheduled for delivery to Pennsylvania! Local SC couldn't tell me anything, but got word via Tesla website chat rep.

Turns out our account had our home landline phone# (long story, now fixed), so we didn't get the text they tried to send about possible delivery time frame.

I'm guessing before the end of the month at this point. So now I get to fret about build quality!

Last edited: