Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why electric vehicles are a bad investment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.... wouldn't 'fancy cars and toys are a terrible investment' be a better title for this thread? Some EVs are a great 'investment'. I know people that bought a used LEAF for $6k and are saving ~$2k/yr on maintenance and fuel costs. Then.... how do you account for externalities? No street level pollution. No need to deliver gas to cities. No funding of murderous petro-crats. Re-fueling at home. Wasting less renewable energy from curtailment. More energy security. Etc. Etc.

ANY new car is a bad 'investment'. We should stop manufacturing new ICE yesterday.
Maintenance is an overused comment. I for years have paid zero, and I mean zero on mine.

Fuels cost, when I drive like 1K per year in my car, ...

I have NO issue with folks buying whatever makes them happy for whatever reason. (No different than some get the covid shot, others do not)
But I object to being told what to do and what is good for me, (Just like being told I have to get the covid shot !!)

But, the difference is I do not go around bashing folks who have an EV. I just say great, just does not work for me and my family. But SO many love to give others a bad time, aka snowflakes, when they do not support their opinion. But they cannot understand this. :)

Yes, any car basically is not an investment compared to lets say a house. (Year a few might over the years make money, but those are the exception)
Whats a prius worth today when the batteries have to be replaced?

But they cannot understand this.:)

You don't appear to understand that your right to swing your arms ends at my nose. You're correct it's your right to not get a COVID shot. What's not your right is to go into public areas unvaccinated or to burden a healthcare system if you get COVID because you were unvaccinated. You're correct it's your right to not buy an EV. It's not your right to hurt others with the emissions from burning gasoline in an atmosphere we all share. Not everything is about you. Welcome to society :)

I don't think I'll break even for 12 years with my first investment in to an EV. I spend around $3500 per year in fuel and do my own maintenance so no real savings there parts are cheap if you do the work. Then again if I bought a new ICE car there is no break even it's just more loss.

EV's are fun and helps push toward a better tomorrow so it really doesn't matter if it's a little more for me now. Eventually the tech, renewable energy and recycling with push it in to a much better place than fossil fuels. And I bet with mass adoption you'll see EV's going cheaper than the cheapest ICE car.

There is however one worry I have since EV's are falling in to a tech gadget model. I see a lot of EV owners who flip them faster than they would a normal car for the new tech since it's moving so quickly. I'm surprised to see people on their 4th or 5th Tesla in a 5 to 10 year span. If EV's turn in to a yearly expendable item like cell phones that seems wasteful.

I have NO issue with folks buying whatever makes them happy for whatever reason. (No different than some get the covid shot, others do not)
But I object to being told what to do and what is good for me, (Just like being told I have to get the covid shot !!)

But, the difference is I do not go around bashing folks who have an EV. I just say great, just does not work for me and my family. But SO many love to give others a bad time, aka snowflakes, when they do not support their opinion. But they cannot understand this. :)
Is it your neighbor's right to dump their trash into the pretty lake you live on instead of paying for trash service?

Of course not, because we live in a civilized society and our actions have consequences on shared resources. Something I sure wish the fiercely independent snowflakes that seem to think they have no obligation to anything other than their own personal interests could understand.

There's also a whole lot of irony in someone that took advantage of a government program to pay for FIVE Powerwalls in their entirety being so staunchly against government incentives in other areas promoting clean energy... I guess principles come and go pretty easily if the end result is good for you?

Last edited:
There is however one worry I have since EV's are falling in to a tech gadget model. I see a lot of EV owners who flip them faster than they would a normal car for the new tech since it's moving so quickly. I'm surprised to see people on their 4th or 5th Tesla in a 5 to 10 year span. If EV's turn in to a yearly expendable item like cell phones that seems wasteful.

It's not like those EVs to going into a kitchen drawer to be forgotten until the heat death of the universe. They're being sold used to other people. If anything the high turnover is good. More people have access to more affordable used EVs.

I have onwed a house for like 40 years. 99% of the furniture in is was given to use. And trust me, its nice stuff. Does it all match, nope. Is it current style, nope. But guess what I retired at 52, and live in a real nice house on a lake. Others can drive their fancy cars and toys, I love retirement.
Congrats on the early retirement! I did that too: I retired at age 45 twenty-three years ago; still doing fine living off of savings and by being thrifty. Waiting to take Social Security at age 70, now less than two years away, to get the largest payment, as insurance against the possibility that I'll live to an old age (my parents are ages 95 and 97). Live in a small house on five acres, adjacent to twenty-three acres of open space, with lovely mountain views. I am close to a half dozen National Parks and Monuments. I keep busy and productive with large amounts of volunteer work, as well as hobbies.

A small section of my mountain view to the east, picture taken several weeks ago:
Courthouse mountain20220311sf_165418.jpg

And, yes, I've been driving solar-powered electric cars for over ten years now:

Model S and San Juan Mountains1600edcropsf 3-8-16.jpg

^ My used Model S, three days after I bought it, on the county road that I use to get to my house. 122,000 miles ago. It was a bit of a splurge but after so many years of being thrifty I determined that I could afford it. Since then I've used my car to visit twenty-one states and provinces on road trips and frequently use it for camping (it fits a full length air mattress in the back). In addition to many National Parks and Monuments, I've camped in state parks in thirteen different states.

Camping in Minnesota:
20191016_183736.jpg

Camping in Yellowstone National Park:
Air mattress in Model S20190523sf_060004.jpg

My car on the ferry to Victoria, British Columbia:
Model S on ferry20190513sf_151818.jpg

Driving an electric car doesn't mean I can't get out and about!

Seems to me many who buy an EV are just in a cult. They make no sense for most. I love when folks say but my EV went up in price. Well, ALL cars went up in price including ICE. EV's clean, no way, look at the strip mining to get materials for the batteries. Shall be interesting to watch the price increases for new EV compared to ICE cars are the cost for batteries goes nuts.

And folks love to ignore the cost of batteries at what like 8 to 10 years. I am still driving my car thats 32 years old, original engine.
Some of us just don’t want our families in cars as old as we are.

There have been myriad safety advances since I was born - we can afford to take advantage of them.

In the name of the almighty dollar, spend.

Seems to me many who buy an EV are just in a cult. They make no sense for most. I love when folks say but my EV went up in price. Well, ALL cars went up in price including ICE. EV's clean, no way, look at the strip mining to get materials for the batteries. Shall be interesting to watch the price increases for new EV compared to ICE cars are the cost for batteries goes nuts.

And folks love to ignore the cost of batteries at what like 8 to 10 years. I am still driving my car thats 32 years old, original engine.

Maintenance is an overused comment. I for years have paid zero, and I mean zero on mine.

Fuels cost, when I drive like 1K per year in my car, ...

Man I wish I could drive a car for 32 years. I'm actually hoping that this EV will give me more time with a car. I drive 100 miles per day not counting trips/vacation so really I only get a few years out of an ice car before the problems start to become an annoyance. I agree with your other comment on the maintenance cost savings it's really not a factor I've always done my own no matter the size of the job and typically keep 3 ICE cars in the rotation so that any one could be down for an extended period without affecting me or my wife. I have high hopes for this EV changing that and an 8-10 year battery replacement sounds fantastic to me since I can't get 8 years out of an ice car with my mileage. Well not reliably anyway and I definitely don't want to break down since I commute in to the city.

As for the covid vaccine I'm not sure where you grew up but I've been forced to get vaccines my entire life. I don't understand the recent trend of people objecting to things that have been mandated for the 50 years I've been alive. They wouldn't let me in school without up to date vaccines same with my son. That's what it means to be part of a community you do things for the greater good. Everyone always has the option and freedom to leave a community that they don't agree with the laws/rules.

I also don't like the speed limit, wearing clothes to work, paying taxes, Oh don't get me started on traffic lights and stop signs. Why do I have to stop if no one is coming that's just ridiculous? And why am I getting up at 5 am to drive to work I could do my job at noon and sleep in. Rules yeah they suck I don't know why people keep making me do things I don't want to do? I have rights you know. I should be able to do whatever I want regardless if it affects other people. :)

Man I wish I could drive a car for 32 years. I'm actually hoping that this EV will give me more time with a car. I drive 100 miles per day not counting trips/vacation so really I only get a few years out of an ice car before the problems start to become an annoyance. I agree with your other comment on the maintenance cost savings it's really not a factor I've always done my own no matter the size of the job and typically keep 3 ICE cars in the rotation so that any one could be down for an extended period without affecting me or my wife. I have high hopes for this EV changing that and an 8-10 year battery replacement sounds fantastic to me since I can't get 8 years out of an ice car with my mileage. Well not reliably anyway and I definitely don't want to break down since I commute in to the city.

As for the covid vaccine I'm not sure where you grew up but I've been forced to get vaccines my entire life. I don't understand the recent trend of people objecting to things that have been mandated for the 50 years I've been alive. They wouldn't let me in school without up to date vaccines same with my son. That's what it means to be part of a community you do things for the greater good. Everyone always has the option and freedom to leave a community that they don't agree with the laws/rules.

I also don't like the speed limit, wearing clothes to work, paying taxes, Oh don't get me started on traffic lights and stop signs. Why do I have to stop if no one is coming that's just ridiculous? And why am I getting up at 5 am to drive to work I could do my job at noon and sleep in. Rules yeah they suck I don't know why people keep making me do things I don't want to do? I have rights you know. I should be able to do whatever I want regardless if it affects other people. :)
Just for FYI, I believe there is a good chance I got a life changing auto immune issue from the vaccine. Folks in the medical industry I am talking
to are see a growing number of folks who seem to have gotten issues right after the vaccine. This is the stuff the media does let be shared, so be careful, since stuff is NOT 100% risk free!! I know first hand

Just for FYI, I believe there is a good chance I got a life changing auto immune issue from the vaccine. Folks in the medical industry I am talking
to are see a growing number of folks who seem to have gotten issues right after the vaccine. This is the stuff the media does let be shared, so be careful, since stuff is NOT 100% risk free!! I know first hand

Where to start with this - there is a good chance, folks in the medical industry I am talking to, a growing number of folks who seem to have gotten issues, the media does not let it be shared, and 100% risk free. Whoa!

Last edited:
Reactions: 15Peter20
Personally I didn’t buy my model S to save money or out of some existential dread about climate change.

I bought it because it is insanely fun and ridiculously high tech compared to other vehicles. Tesla is leagues ahead of other automakers in making these cars whimsical and fun. Could you imagine BMW putting a slew of video games and a random location fart generator in their vehicle. I look forward to driving my Tesla the same way that I enjoy mountain biking, ATV, or a roller coaster. (Safety score 98 though!)

I have had satisfaction owning cars before. I usually keep them for many years. But this vehicle is the most fun/joyful. It’s just a whole different automated concept of vehicle, and one that I appreciate. Your car literally gets upgraded over the wifi while you sleep!