Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Elon’s Goal to Improve Tesla Service Seems Ambitious (TMC Podcast Clip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a clip from TMC Podcast #13, showcasing the state of Tesla Service right now, why Elon's recent tweets and statements about improving service will be very difficult, and what change we want to see.

“It’s easy to build a service center. It’s a box. What’s hard is getting the technical help. Tesla can’t even get solid technical help today. What are they going to do if they want to expand?”

The full podcast video, if you're interested, is linked down below.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/will-elon-musk-finally-improve-tesla’s-service-tmc-podcast-13.269425/

...What’s hard is getting the technical help...
Tesla could have partnered with schools to train technicians and guarantee jobs for graduates.

What is more important is the lack of spare parts. Parts have been prioritized for the assembly line and it's not just now, it's been like that since the early days of Tesla.

I was lucky that I only had to wait 17 days to get my Model X Air Compressor and its fuse. Others might wait for 3 weeks or more.

Tesla could have partnered with schools to train technicians and guarantee jobs for graduates.

What is more important is the lack of spare parts. Parts have been prioritized for the assembly line and it's not just now, it's been like that since the early days of Tesla.

I was lucky that I only had to wait 17 days to get my Model X Air Compressor and its fuse. Others might wait for 3 weeks or more.
At Rio Hondo Community College in Whittier, CA they do have a Tesla apprentice training program. Also at a few other schools in California.

There are problems that can't be solved no matter how much money is poured in.

So, bad service can be solved if there's a will to spend money. It does cost money to expand hours, and train schools to crank out graduates.
My service advisor asked me at Tesla if I’d be interested in applying for a service tech position. He said he’s supposed to be in sales. They’re scrambling to hire, but he told me that keeping people hired is the hardest part. That’s a money thing, but a culture thing, too. Unrealistic expectations are the standard for the biggest startups. My service advisor also asked if he could send me his resume for any project management positions at my company.

I’ve found the service to be excellent. I’ve not had any issues from the beginning, ordering, collection, getting minor blemishes sorted, install of a garage opener and now having a fault investigated. I was called by an engineer to discuss my particular issue after following their steps and it didn’t resolve the issue.

I’ve managed everything through the app and they just contacted me to offer to see the car earlier.

The SC is in Glasgow. Perhaps they’re the diamonds in the rough compared to others experience.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
I'm over two months "waiting" for parts on a brand new MYP. Everything about Tesla service sucks. Weird run around to get a hold of someone. Chat feature takes weeks to respond sometimes. No real eta on when or if ever parts do arrive. No loaners. Only thing easy is to make an appointment but needs to schedule 1 month out at least. 🙄