Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Elon Musk refuses to put the 4680 battery in Model S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumers don’t know what they want. Most people with EV objections actually aren’t interested in any rational discussion on the topic and just want to throw out excuses to make themselves feel better about change being hard and scary.

They might think they want more range, but right now that means a 6,000 pound car that costs north of $150k.

RE “stopping so often to charge” - basically nobody drives more than ~300 miles without stopping, ever. It’s a fabricated excuse.

Just like our OP… he wants to spend $20k more for a 500 mile battery so he can save $4 charging away from home. Brilliant!
I drive frequently between SJ and LA. 350 miles give or take. I don't stop with ICE. With my MS, I have to stop halfway to charge.

I'd gladly pay for 600+ miles of range.

I drive frequently between SJ and LA. 350 miles give or take. I don't stop with ICE. With my MS, I have to stop halfway to charge.

I'd gladly pay for 600+ miles of range.
Meh, this doesn't really change my opinion. Carrying around 1,000 pounds of extra battery everywhere you go to avoid having to stop for 10 minutes to charge on a 350 mile trip is a foolish waste of money and limited resources.

And Elon is wrong. Consumers want more range, not that they are worried about finding a place to charge. It's that they just don't want to stop so often to charge. That's the biggest complaint my non EV friends have issues with.

It is wrong to want more range though. It’s dumb. You can sell two cars with a three hundred mile range which is good enough for 90 percent of people 95 percent of the time or you can sell one car with a 500 mile range using the same limited raw material. It makes zero environmental or monetary sense.

You also couldn’t charge double the price for the car. If you double the battery you don’t double the range.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Meh, this doesn't really change my opinion. Carrying around 1,000 pounds of extra battery everywhere you go to avoid having to stop for 10 minutes to charge on a 350 mile trip is a foolish waste of money and limited resources.
15 minute stop with v3 superchargers. 25 minutes with v2 superchargers.

Actual range of the refreshed MS is closer to 275 miles. It’s nowhere close the advertised 400 miles.

So when Tesla starts hauling the 1000 extra battery for advertised 600 miles of range, it’s probably closer to 420 miles of actual range.

It is wrong to want more range though. It’s dumb. You can sell two cars with a three hundred mile range which is good enough for 90 percent of people 95 percent of the time or you can sell one car with a 500 mile range using the same limited raw material. It makes zero environmental or monetary sense.

You also couldn’t charge double the price for the car. If you double the battery you don’t double the range.
Someone is gonna do it eventually so Tesla will do it. People don’t pay $100K for a car so they can get 70% of the advertised 400 miles of range.

I remembered when the Tesla sales rep insisted I can drive from SJ to LA without stopping. Lulz.

None of that makes it wrong to want it, unless you’re a tsla investor.

None of that makes it wrong to want it, unless you’re a tsla investor.
Yes it does. There are environmental impacts in selling batteries that are twice as big. From the mining to the infrastructure required to charge a less efficient vehicle.

Plus, the rarer something is the more it costs having fewer EVs available due to battery constraints means slower adoption of zero emission vehicles

Reactions: APotatoGod
15 minute stop with v3 superchargers. 25 minutes with v2 superchargers.
There’s zero reason to stop at a not v3 charger these days between SF and LA. Drive as long as you can so the battery is as low as possible, charge for 10-15 minutes max at Tejon or the other side of the grapevine if you’re ballsy, be on your way.

I have to point out that this is roughly equivalent to the ~10 minute fuel stop you’d need to make at the beginning of your ICE journey to top the tank off and make it all the way there “without stopping.”
Actual range of the refreshed MS is closer to 275 miles. It’s nowhere close the advertised 400 miles.
Agreed for sure.

Reactions: APotatoGod and ArtK
There’s zero reason to stop at a not v3 charger these days between SF and LA. Drive as long as you can so the battery is as low as possible, charge for 10-15 minutes max at Tejon or the other side of the grapevine if you’re ballsy, be on your way.

I have to point out that this is roughly equivalent to the ~10 minute fuel stop you’d need to make at the beginning of your ICE journey to top the tank off and make it all the way there “without stopping.”

Agreed for sure.
Starting at 100% in SJ, I can get to Bakersfield Copus Road V3 SuperChargers on fumes on a warm summer night. During winter, I can only get to the v2 superchargers in Bakersfield Stockdale Highway or Buttonwillow. Yes, I prefer to charge at v3.

No way I can make it to Tejon or over the grapevine.