Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Every New Tesla Now has a heat pump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A/C compressor replacement on our Model S was over $3k last year, mostly labor, so unfortunately $4k for the more complicated heat pump sounds about right. The Model S A/C lasted well over 100k miles for us though.

We did have a problem with its resistive heater while it was still under 100k mile warranty, but I forget what the resolution was, I don't even remember if the heater itself needed replacing or if it was something simpler. Let's just say as an early Model S it's seen a lot of repairs over the years...
I’m at 120k miles in my 2017 S. No AC Problems but just popped a fuse and lost the heater core. Considering the amount of labor to replace the fuse, and the fact that the core has been through several revisions since my car was new, better to just have them upgrade the core to the newest revision when they replace the fuse.

I’m betting zero chance of a service center retrofiting heat pump on any model. I can’t imagine all the dependencies.

I’m at 120k miles in my 2017 S. No AC Problems but just popped a fuse and lost the heater core. Considering the amount of labor to replace the fuse, and the fact that the core has been through several revisions since my car was new, better to just have them upgrade the core to the newest revision when they replace the fuse.

I’m betting zero chance of a service center retrofiting heat pump on any model. I can’t imagine all the dependencies.
My 2017 Model S75.......115K miles......Similar to your car..My heat just stopped working the next day after the technician fixed my window regulator on the passenger side door. $1400 to fix the heater PTC and 2 x 40 Amp Fuses. Was it coincidence or did they mess something up?