Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why fresh air setting for jumpseats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla encourages the use of the fresh air setting for better air circulation when using the rear jumpseats.

Can anyone explain why that setting has better circulation to the trunk? When I put that setting on, the speed of air exiting the rear vents noticibly decreases.

Just a guess, but when in recirculation, perhaps the rear seats don't get a good stir of the air. When you go to fresh, the increase of air exiting the rear vents would certainly pull fresh air from the front across the jumpsuit area, eliminating dead air spaces.

Airliners use similar strategies in some non normal events, allowing the pilots to evacuate smoke from one area of the airplane or another. And no, in 30+ years of flying, I never had to do it, except during simulator training. Don't be afraid, be happy that we are ready for the unlikely.

Just a guess, but when in recirculation, perhaps the rear seats don't get a good stir of the air. When you go to fresh, the increase of air exiting the rear vents would certainly pull fresh air from the front across the jumpsuit area, eliminating dead air spaces.

Airliners use similar strategies in some non normal events, allowing the pilots to evacuate smoke from one area of the airplane or another. And no, in 30+ years of flying, I never had to do it, except during simulator training. Don't be afraid, be happy that we are ready for the unlikely.
Good point that must be it...the outflow must be in the rear trunk area. Thanks!

The air 'exit' points are in the trunk (also to allow pressure equilibration when someone opens or closes a door). So when you are on fresh air, it draws air in from the outside, cools that air, then pushes it into the cabin via the 1st and 2nd row vents. A roughly equal amount of air needs to then exit the car, which occurs primarily via those exit points in the trunk.