Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why get larger wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some market, 18s are economy Michelin Primacy tires, and 19s are performance Hankook EVO tires.

(Other markets provide 18s with performance Michelins and 19s with economy Continentals)

So better looks and better dynamic performance.

Generally the larger the wheel the smaller and stiffer the tire sidewall which can equate to less flex and better handling. A wider wheel will allow wider tires that offer a better contact patch.

Yep, all true and correct! I do think the manufacturers push the limit though for aesthetics, because the trade off for that sharper turn-in is increased unsprung weight which reduces suspension performance and grip. Also, having much less flex in the tyre reduces the torque feedback from the tyre when trying to find the maximum lateral grip limits of the tyre slip angle. If you want to drive around a corner using the tyres maximum grip, finding that point of approx 6-7 degrees of slip angle is much more of a knife edge with a low profile tyre. Thus why race cars which have a lot of ‘gentlemen’ drivers have such high profile tyres. For amateurs, having a higher profile tyre makes it is easier to drive fast on the limit of grip because the larger sidewall has more flex, and thus transmits that sidewall flex and twisting torque to the steering wheel to enable you to drive at that max grip limit easier. If you’re not going to push the car to this point, and you’re not chasing lap times, then having a low profile tyre is marketing BS nonsense done for aesthetics, and which gives reduced ride comfort and a higher likelihood of tyre/wheel damage due to road imperfections.

A wider tyre gives more grip up to a point. Force over area calculation means a wider contact patch also has less force pressing it into the ground. Due to tyre load sensitivity, the tyre produces optimum grip at a specific load. Wider tyres are also optimised due to the operating load they will have to cope with, especially on a car with a lot of downforce, and the tyre’s operating temperature. A too narrow tyre can overheat on track. On a road car, the width of a tyre is specced for totally different reasons. Efficiency, tramlining characteristics, steering weight, wear characreristics, etc. with the priority of maximum grip much lower down the list.

At the same pressure, the total contact patch size is the same. The wider tire will just widen the patch while reducing the length.

Yes. Wider tire changes the contract patch shape for more cornering grip and a narrow tire changes for straight-line acceleration and braking grip. That's why both drag tires and winter tires are typically narrower.

And way, way worse with potholes, which is why I got aftermarket 18's (big enough to clear the performance brakes though) :D

Agreed. I got 19s for my winter tires and would have bought 18s at the time if I could have found some I like. I'm thinking of getting some lightweight 18s that I use for summer camping trips. Quieter, softer ride, and more efficient. Save the 20s for autocrossing and other events, at least until they get destroyed by potholes.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Agreed. I got 19s for my winter tires and would have bought 18s at the time if I could have found some I like. I'm thinking of getting some lightweight 18s that I use for summer camping trips. Quieter, softer ride, and more efficient. Save the 20s for autocrossing and other events, at least until they get destroyed by potholes.
The 20's for the model 3 seem particularly susceptible to potholes. Then there is also the range reduction, as you mentioned (although for 95% of my driving I don't really care about my range).

The 20's for the model 3 seem particularly susceptible to potholes. Then there is also the range reduction, as you mentioned (although for 95% of my driving I don't really care about my range).
I really like the look of 20s and came very close to getting them. I still kinda want them but too chicken to do it. Language would get quite colourful if I hit a pothole.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I really like the look of 20s and came very close to getting them. I still kinda want them but too chicken to do it. Language would get quite colourful if I hit a pothole.
Yeah, and at least the roads in Vancouver are somewhat serviceable, imagine trying to drive with 20's in Victoria. One ferry ride and suddenly you're in a 3rd world country when it comes to road maintenance.

• Funny
Reactions: tlr1000