Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why has my charging speed dropped off with my new Y as there was no problem with prior model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I built my house I installed a non- commercial grade 14/50 receptacle and a 50 amp breaker. I charged for one year my model 3 without any difficulty. I purchased a new Model Y a year ago. I charged with no problem for 6 months. I then experienced a dramatic drop off in charging speed. Teslas said that the plug was getting hot and charging speed dropped off to compensate and cool it down. New connector adaptor from Tesla did not solve the problem. Went away for ten days leaving the tesla not plugged in and the plug into the receptacle out!!. Upon returning, it charged faster at the normal speed. I then. between charges, started to leave the 14/50 adapter unplugged into the receptacle. Since doing that I have not experienced any drop off in charging speed. My electrician who installed the receptacle claims there is nothing wrong with the 14/50 receptacle. I find this very strange and wonder whether or not I need to replace my non -oommerciail grade adapter with a commercial 14/50 adapter? Has anyone had any similar experience or has any thoughts? J

• Informative
Reactions: Red Ryder 3
I am having the exact same problem!
My 2020 M3SR+ with mobile adapter was traded in for a 2022 MYLR with a new adapter.
This adapter was exchanged for a new one a month ago, but the charging speed is still reduced to 23-30A...perhaps related to the 100-degree temps in my Phoenix garage. In addition, the slow blinking red light is appearing on the charger!

Upvote 0