Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why has my dash display changed without a recent software update???

David in NC

Feb 13, 2019
NC
This morning I am now for the first time seeing a new dash display with the driver visualization box much bigger (see pic), I have not had a software update in a couple of weeks (see version pasted below). Why does my software version say "bad" at the end? What is going on?

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69

David in NC

Feb 13, 2019
NC
yeah, reboot may have worked (haven't driven yet)
but which is a better reboot: powering down via scroll wheels or "power off" via center touchscreen?

r1200gs4ok

Jul 17, 2019
Irvine
This morning I am now for the first time seeing a new dash display with the driver visualization box much bigger (see pic), I have not had a software update in a couple of weeks (see version pasted below). Why does my software version say "bad" at the end? What is going on?
its part of the revision number

jorobsand

Nov 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It is a hexadecimal number, written with the numbers 0-9 and letters a-f, so you have the necessary 16 symbols to represent the number.

So it could also be “baddeadbeef” at the end.

Yea, the fact that the 3 letters spell "bad" is nothing more than a coincidence. It is just part of the coding for the version number.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
While watching activity on my internet router I've noticed a lot of data being transferred to my vehicles with no change in the firmware version number.

drtimhill

Apr 25, 2019
Seattle
Why does my software version say "bad" at the end? What is going on?

(chuckles) The digits at the end are a software checksum value, in hexadecimal (base 16), which includes the digits "a" to "f". It's just that in this case the math caused the last three digits to happen to spell the word "bad". Next time it might spell "cafe" or "beef" (or any other short word you can make with the first 6 letters of the alphabet).

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC