Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why have 2 safety features been removed from 2019.16.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you probably don't want these two new features yet based on multiple reports of dangerous false positives from the Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance:
Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

I know I'll not be upgrading until this is addressed since you can't keep the feature turned off either.

Just drove 100 miles with 2019.16.2 and all the safety features turned on. It only activated once when I drifted over some lines while merging onto a highway without a signal. Otherwise, if you use a turn signal properly, I don't see this accidentally activating.

Just drove 100 miles with 2019.16.2 and all the safety features turned on. It only activated once when I drifted over some lines while merging onto a highway without a signal. Otherwise, if you use a turn signal properly, I don't see this accidentally activating.
I don’t understand the conclusion you draw based on the reports in that thread. It does not seem to be a question of using your turn signals before leaving your lane. People are experiencing it making steering changes unrelated to crossing lane lines. Have a read if you’re interested.

I don’t understand the conclusion you draw based on the reports in that thread. It does not seem to be a question of using your turn signals before leaving your lane. People are experiencing it making steering changes unrelated to crossing lane lines. Have a read if you’re interested.

I'm just adding to the anecdotal evidence. No problem with false positives on my end. I hope it gets sent out to S and X soon; even if some people think it's a minor inconvenience at times, it does have the potential to save some lives.

That doesn't make it better. Or even excusable.

From a consumer standpoint, you're quite right. No argument with that.

I'm just tired of people accusing the Tesla engineers (i.e. the individual contributors actually designing and implementing hardware/software) of all sorts of problems that, as far as I can tell, stem largely from management decisions. As an ex-computer scientist turned software engineer, this just really annoys the heck out of me. Sorry for going off-topic. :rolleyes:

Bruce.

I'm just tired of people accusing the Tesla engineers (i.e. the individual contributors actually designing and implementing hardware/software) of all sorts of problems that, as far as I can tell, stem largely from management decisions. As an ex-computer scientist turned software engineer, this just really annoys the heck out of me. Sorry for going off-topic. :rolleyes:

Bruce.
Of course, everyone understands that the guy at the keyboard actually coding stuff is doing so because he's assigned that task, not because he chose to program farts instead of useful features for Model S. When people complain about the "engineers," please understand that they're talking about those engineers with decision-making authority or the guys giving those engineers orders. No need to take umbrage; those complaints are usually valid. They're not aimed at dedicated, hard-working guys like you. :)

I thought I saw mention of the S getting them on what appeared to be the test versions (.1 and .2). The final version was .3 where only the Model 3 got these and of course by now virtually no one is on 16.x, but on 20.4.x.

I could be wrong on that recollection and of course finally no S or X has it with the production version. I assumed that Tesla felt it needed more testing. I’m also wondering how much it could need as we’re once again victim of the ‘it’s rolling out’ and never shows up for months at all yet for the S and X.

Also agree with @bmah on the decisions. Coders don’t decide these things. That’s made way above their pay grade. Lots of things we could learn if we had some real leaks from engineering and not just an email or two from Elon. :D