Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why HK no delivery estimate for Model X? Almost everywhere else says 2H 2016...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everywhere else including Aus and Japan says:
"The estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016"

on their Model X page. Does that mean HK will get deliveries much later than rest of Asia? China Model X page does not work.

Everywhere else including Aus and Japan says:
"The estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016"

on their Model X page. Does that mean HK will get deliveries much later than rest of Asia? China Model X page does not work.

See: HK: Model X Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery - Page 7

Elon Musk just (25th Jan 2016 owner event) answered my question about RHD Model X and Hong Kong deliveries. He said that production will start in the summer of 2016.

Imagine how many Model Xs you will see in Hong Kong once they start delivering them. Given the nature of HK pax vehicle market, I could see Model X sales outnumbering Model S sales by at least 2 to 1. Anyone considering an Alphard or luxury van would easily switch to a Model X - better looking, better performance, same price, cheaper to run - NO BRAINER.

Imagine how many Model Xs you will see in Hong Kong once they start delivering them. Given the nature of HK pax vehicle market, I could see Model X sales outnumbering Model S sales by at least 2 to 1. Anyone considering an Alphard or luxury van would easily switch to a Model X - better looking, better performance, same price, cheaper to run - NO BRAINER.

I can't agree with you since Model X price will not match the two models you suggested above if the Tax for EV has been revert to the normal standard...

I Hope not, we just dont have enough chargers... something like 1 in 10 new cars in Hk are Tesla's currently. It's good for evs but not for the current early adaptors. Going back on topic, do you think a model x is too big for Hk car Parks? It is slightly longer than the s. The size is my limiting factor. It was made to found 7 people and for it's carrying capacity. In Hk, I don't need the carrying capacity and do wish the x to be slightly shorter.

yeh I'm more worried about opening the falcon wing doors in car parks. Even in Times Square, will it be high enough to open to get out? Although the X is probably more a chauffeur car in HK so the falcon wing doors will only be used to drop ppl off in the street.

Whilst the falcon wing doors can detect adjacent vehicles and height limits, are they able to avoid upcoming traffic or pedestrians as they extend outwards when the vehicle stops at the side of the road to offload passengers? For me the benefits of moderately easier third row access just doesn't outweigh the inconvenience of the door design for HK use. And what if two Model Xs are parked adjacent to each other? I don't think you can have both cars' door opened even if they open at different time, unless sliding doors. Model X is also no match for Alphard/similar for rear passenger space and comfort IMO.

Whilst the falcon wing doors can detect adjacent vehicles and height limits, are they able to avoid upcoming traffic or pedestrians as they extend outwards when the vehicle stops at the side of the road to offload passengers? For me the benefits of moderately easier third row access just doesn't outweigh the inconvenience of the door design for HK use. And what if two Model Xs are parked adjacent to each other? I don't think you can have both cars' door opened even if they open at different time, unless sliding doors.

There have been many videos and stories posted on this topic. Most new owners seem to be saying that the sensors work well (for detecting people, trapped fingers, as well as obstacles). If the traffic is there, I am confident that the sensors will see it and stop the door opening. However if you open the door on the roadside, while traffic is coming up behind you, all bets are off (as with a conventional upright hinged door).

Given that the production cars show little improvement to third row access (especially when compared to the original prototype shown), I too see little point of this 'feature'. It is probably the thing I like least about the Model X. It is a shame that Tesla couldn't do something innovative with a sliding door.