Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I’m not keen on "Super-Fast" Super chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the news that the super chargers will be getting faster I have mixed feelings

Let me start by saying that I don’t use super chargers often just when I do the odd long journey

So what’s my problem?? My Car charges faster than I can complete my comfort break, which in turn costs me more as I end up increasing the amount of charge to more than I need to get to my destination to avoid idle fee’s. It’s a long cold and wet walk from the services to the charges at Rugby for example!!

Third world issues I know but I need to get it off my chest 😉

Edders

Given the news that the super chargers will be getting faster I have mixed feelings

Let me start by saying that I don’t use super chargers often just when I do the odd long journey

So what’s my problem?? My Car charges faster than I can complete my comfort break, which in turn costs me more as I end up increasing the amount of charge to more than I need to get to my destination to avoid idle fee’s. It’s a long cold and wet walk from the services to the charges at Rugby for example!!

Edders
Sounds like you need to see a urologist! 😂

In all seriousness, you should be able to set a charge limit so you don't go above your desired amount of charge. Info on how to do this is readily available online.

Edders
Do it the other way, park it closer to services and finish your comfort break, may be get some food (it takes a long time their to get hold of the food) then take the car and go to the charging point and comfortably watch a movie and eat your food. Good during covid times as you can avoid contact with others.

Sounds like you need to see a urologist! 😂

In all seriousness, you should be able to set a charge limit so you don't go above your desired amount of charge. Info on how to do this is readily available online.

But then you get charged idle fees.. Increasing your charge limit is a good tactic to avoid that, but you’re still paying for the extra leccy.

if its a 10-15 minute stop its probably worth just staying with the car then moving after

Reactions: pow216
Haha... I hear you! I had an e-Golf that took forever to charge, and then an ID.3 which was a lot quicker. I did often find myself missing the long charge time of the e-Golf as I rushed back to the ID.3 having not finished eating my food somewhere!

I guess with the Tesla I might sometimes have to treat it more like I would an ICE car. As in, refuel (charge) the car before or after my food break, rather than during.

Do it the other way, park it closer to services and finish your comfort break, may be get some food (it takes a long time their to get hold of the food) then take the car and go to the charging point and comfortably watch a movie and eat your food. Good during covid times as you can avoid contact with others.
Yup we've done it this way round at times, it can work well.

Edders

Don't worry, your current car isn't going to charge any faster unless it's a brand new Plaid Model S or X, in which case it will charge slightly faster at very low states of charge. The increased speed will really only be realized by vehicles with bigger packs like the Cybertruck and perhaps smaller 4680 packs... time will tell.

Even the slower ones can catch you out. I stopped with the kid at the Thetford forest charger, went into the pub next door, and we'd only just got our food on the table when it was time to leg it out and move it. Not such a pain in reality, but does nicely show why slower chargers in places where you might stay for a few hours are a good thing (eg shops, cinemas, restaurants). Not everything needs to be super fast.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
Even the slower ones can catch you out. I stopped with the kid at the Thetford forest charger, went into the pub next door, and we'd only just got our food on the table when it was time to leg it out and move it. Not such a pain in reality, but does nicely show why slower chargers in places where you might stay for a few hours are a good thing (eg shops, cinemas, restaurants). Not everything needs to be super fast.
100% agree. It really winds me up when destinations like cinemas or shopping centres or tourist attractions put in a couple of rapid chargers. For the same money they could surely put in 3 or 4 times as many 7kW destination chargers that would be far more suited to the normal use of the destination (as in, people tend to park for a few hours). It just shows that the people who make these decisions don’t actually understand how EV charging works in the real world.

Reactions: pow216
Can't you just reduce the maximum charge rate amps down? tbh if you're not in a rush, charging at a lower rate should (in theory) help maintain your battery health. Tesla actually advise using high charge rates as little as possible to keep battery healthy longer.