Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I almost never use Tesla's navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it, given that there are plenty of web sites out there that show weather, that Google have not combined weather into Google maps and that no nav that I am aware of, offers this?

Weather on the road is far more important that at my desk ...

Will be interesting to see version 6.2 nav.

And, as for Plugshare ... I would never trust it for reliability but to offer it as an option, fine.

Living in California low-lying hills (400 feet, etc.), I've never had this issue, but obviously anywhere else, with snow, ice, rain, dust clouds, fire smoke, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, lightning, floods and other regular weather events, routing around those for more efficient and safe driving is an obvious thing to integrate into every navigator. Knowing that the road is going to be at a water elevation of -10feet in the lane you might use is useful near the Mississippi River, for instance, since I've never driven a boat-car, and most cars aren't designed to operate in a lane covered with 10 feet of water. Waze allows you to "block" that road as shut, but for something like snow or rain onto freezing roads, most traffic aware apps will most likely just show a few slow drivers after-the-fact.

@bwa: you obviously put more effort into navigation than I ever do. The shortcomings of Tesla's implementation have been pretty well hashed out. I'd say most people want to get it to the usable/reliable state first. Accurate routing and waypoints have to be first on the list.

I agree with @GreenT that weather overlays are sorely needed. Not because of road surface conditions but atmospheric conditions. A 20 mph headwind has an enormous impact on my range ... as does precipitation. It's important information that I need in the car. But I want accurate routing and waypoints first :)

--Hard to resist these resurrected threads ....

--Hard to resist these resurrected threads ....

Indeed, John. I hope we can continue to bring this issue to Tesla's attention through phone calls/conversations at a service center/emails enough times to at least get some of the deficiencies the OP mentioned addressed.

Your comments are spot-on. I used the GPS to travel from the Bay Area to Seattle and back and had a number of issues with it. On the way up, it refused to route me past the Springfield supercharger, like it didn't know about the Woodburn one. I had to manually force it to go to the Woodburn supercharger. That wasted over an hour of my time.

Then on the return trip it wouldn't route to the Vacaville supercharger.

The voice is repetitive to the point of being obnoxious and the voice synthesis could be a lot better. Multiple waypoints is a must, especially when combined with the supercharger. My 2006 Prius had this. I've had it complain because it thought I couldn't go to the destination and back when my plan was to go to some other destination. Also, it would be nice to know how much charge I need to get to a destination and the next supercharger/destination after. Thank god I can easily mute the navigation system since the chattiness seems to be turned up to 11.

It also seems stupid in the search, often listing things far away first.

It seems to me that the best thing Tesla could do would be to open up their software to outside developers. They would have to put together a good sandboxing system, or adapt an existing solution such as the Android OS, but an open system would really unlock the potential the car obviously has.

On the way up, it refused to route me past the Springfield supercharger, like it didn't know about the Woodburn one. I had to manually force it to go to the Woodburn supercharger. That wasted over an hour of my time.
how did this waste an hour of your time? Were you sitting in the car stationary for an hour messing with the nav system?