Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I am fine with my revised invitation window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
My invitation window has moved from Jan-Mar to Apr-June. Actually the model 3 tracker did say June invitation for someone who fits my order parameters, so I am not surprised. Here is why I am fine with the revised ESTIMATE (and the reason I will be fine if it slips even further). I am not saying I expect all or any of these to happen, but it just gives me an opportunity to make better decisions when I am invited to configure IF some of them happen.
  1. Gives Tesla additional time to update software/firmware for the car to make it even more functional
  2. Gives Tesla additional time to refine production of the car to eliminate some, if not all, of the first production bugs.
  3. Gives Tesla additional time to develop the FSD software, approvals, and testing so that it will make my decision whether to purchase the $3000 FSD option at configuration much easier
  4. Allows current model 3 owners to provide tips and tricks for operation on this Forum so it makes my learning curve less imposing
  5. Gives Tesla additional time to provide a third option for car access other than smartphone and key card.
  6. Allows aftermarket to provide more options to customize the car (floor mats, power trunk/frunk, brighter interior lights, etc.) as soon as I get it rather than waiting for them to measure one.
  7. Allows Tesla to assess feedback on exterior/interior colors, option pricing, etc.
  8. Allows Tesla time to implement a lease program
  9. Allows me to see a potential MS refreshment before I have to make a final decision on my 3
  10. Provides Tesla an opportunity to shed those reservationists who are not completely committed to the Tesla concept and allow those who are 'complete enthusiasts' to move up in the queue.

Also, you might be able to test drive the regular Model 3 and the dual motor before you purchase. My 3 is in the shop and i have a 90D at the moment and, while the car is massive/a boat, i really like having dual motor acceleration and am worrying i might miss out on the 3 :)

I have a strong feeling that the dual motor 3 is going to be incredibly fun to drive given its smaller size and more nimble handling.

I have a strong feeling that the dual motor 3 is going to be incredibly fun to drive given its smaller size and more nimble handling.

Come on, dude. It's stuff like that that keeps me up at night scheming how I'd break it to the wife that Daddy's New Ride is going to be $X more expensive....and also how to explain to the kid he's now on his own for Uni tuition next semester.

I dunno, I feel like RWD is the best config if you're in it for the fun drive.

But why though? AWD has better acceleration since you have almost double the traction for drive wheels (slightly less due to weight transfer and whatnot) and with electric propulsion you can adjust power on the fly to give best traction with neutral handling (hopefully not understeer!)

• Disagree
Reactions: JeffK
I have the problem in reverse.. Delivery estimate went from Early 2019 to Late 2018 - Need to arrange finance this year.. Gulp.
WOW! This means that Tesla is going to start pushing first production configuration (LR + PUP) to RHD countries sooner rather than later. I am happy for our amigos in Canada and Australia! We have seen test vehicles in Australia, Canada, and mainland Europe. I predict that European estimates will be moved forward soon, too. Exciting times!

But why though? AWD has better acceleration since you have almost double the traction for drive wheels (slightly less due to weight transfer and whatnot) and with electric propulsion you can adjust power on the fly to give best traction with neutral handling (hopefully not understeer!)

totally subjective of course, but controlled oversteer is really fun. and look! I found something on the internet to back up my preference! :p

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-rear-wheel-drive-cars-more-fun-to-drive

I dunno, I feel like RWD is the best config if you're in it for the fun drive.
There's a lot to be said for RWD but
totally subjective of course, but controlled oversteer is really fun. and look! I found something on the internet to back up my preference! :p

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-rear-wheel-drive-cars-more-fun-to-drive
You're not even wrong....but the simple joy of feeling the vehicle claw it's way out of a corner like a desperate, hungry puma is also a fun thing.

I have the problem in reverse.. Delivery estimate went from Early 2019 to Late 2018 - Need to arrange finance this year.. Gulp.
Wow that gives some indication of how many AU reservations there are. I'm a first week reservation holder, not a current owner, and mine hasn't moved. So in the space of under a week there were either more Australian reservations than you can put on a ship. Good problem to have, and it means I may get to drive one before I finalise my order.

In The Netherlands (Europe) we just got pushed back from late 2018 to early 2019.
I hadn't expected to see the RHD moved up, while we're moved back.

Part of the tax advantage we have here ends on january first 2019.
I don't mind a couple of months more wait, but I do hate to miss the tax advantage. :(

My invitation window has moved from Jan-Mar to Apr-June. Actually the model 3 tracker did say June invitation for someone who fits my order parameters, so I am not surprised. Here is why I am fine with the revised ESTIMATE (and the reason I will be fine if it slips even further). I am not saying I expect all or any of these to happen, but it just gives me an opportunity to make better decisions when I am invited to configure IF some of them happen.
  1. Gives Tesla additional time to update software/firmware for the car to make it even more functional
  2. Gives Tesla additional time to refine production of the car to eliminate some, if not all, of the first production bugs.
  3. Gives Tesla additional time to develop the FSD software, approvals, and testing so that it will make my decision whether to purchase the $3000 FSD option at configuration much easier
  4. Allows current model 3 owners to provide tips and tricks for operation on this Forum so it makes my learning curve less imposing
  5. Gives Tesla additional time to provide a third option for car access other than smartphone and key card.
  6. Allows aftermarket to provide more options to customize the car (floor mats, power trunk/frunk, brighter interior lights, etc.) as soon as I get it rather than waiting for them to measure one.
  7. Allows Tesla to assess feedback on exterior/interior colors, option pricing, etc.
  9. Allows me to see a potential MS refreshment before I have to make a final decision on my 3
  10. Provides Tesla an opportunity to shed those reservationists who are not completely committed to the Tesla concept and allow those who are 'complete enthusiasts' to move up in the queue.

I agree with all of the above (except I can't afford an S so it's either 3 or nothing) and have said all along I'd prefer to wait as long as possible with a huge * of being able to take advantage of the full tax credit. While I was disappointed by the Tesla Email stating another delay, I was very happy to see them move up the Canadian delivery. Hopefully they'll make enough of those to prolong the delivery of #200,000 until day 1 of Q3. Or maybe a 4th of July celebration with the 200,000th new American owner!

In The Netherlands (Europe) we just got pushed back from late 2018 to early 2019.
I hadn't expected to see the RHD moved up, while we're moved back.

Can confirm this for Switzerland. I guess all of LHD Europe got pushed to 2019. This comes as a surprise to me as I thought they would try to get out as many LR PUP cars early and therefore at some point favor international markets over domestic SR non PUP sales.

My $0.02:

1. Gives Tesla additional time to do basic product development work that should've been done 7+ months ago.
2. Gives Tesla additional time to do basic product validation work that should've been done 7+ months ago.
3. Gives Tesla additional time to wave their hands and talk about machine learning.
5. Gives Tesla additional time to scramble to cover for their lack of basic product development/validation work that should've been done 7+ months ago.
6. Allows aftermarket time to provide products that Tesla should have had available from day 1. (Still no OEM all-weather floor mats for footwells???o_O)
8. Allows Tesla time to implement a lease program... because, um, they need more time to do that, for some reason, apparently.:confused:
10. Provides Tesla an opportunity to lose "normal" customers who expect better from an automaker, resulting in more ICEVs on the road.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectroCat
You prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner and invite your whole family over. You spend hours slaving over the turkey and all the fixings. Everyone sits down and digs in with great gusto. Then your elderly uncle starts complaining the turkey is over done, the cranberry sauce is too sweet, the mashed potatoes taste like they came out of a box, and the wine is no better than sewer water. The festivities go quiet, everyone looks down at their plate in embarrassed silence, and then your uncle finishes his tirade by a prolonged fart. Yep there is a "normal" one in every crowd. :rolleyes: