Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I believe the Tesla M3 AWD is the only really viable EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but to describe an M3 AWD as the only really viable EV is clearly complete tosh. I’m sure those who drive an S or an X would disagree, as would those who drive an Sr+.

And viable EVs are not limited to Tesla. A viable EV is one that fits your needs. My two daughters both drive Zoes. They are both quite high mileage drivers (often more than 150 miles a day) but very rarely have to use public chargers, and when they get home they can fully charge in 3 hours using our 22KW Andersen. My incredibly advanced M3P is limited to 11KW. The Zoes are perfect for their needs.

A friend of mine has an MG ZS with even lower range. Last year she drove from Lancashire to the Highlands for a week’s mountaineering holiday and did 1300 miles in 8 days. Sure, she had to plan charging carefully, but by using Zap-Map and Plugshare she could go to chargers that were pretty much guaranteed to be working, and while in Scotland she charged for free. No one is going to pretend that charging wouldn’t have been easier in a Tesla, but it certainly doesn’t make her car unviable.

An M3 AWD starts at £50k. The second hand market is still limited and expensive. So unless you can you can afford that sort of money then an AWD is completely unviable.

And if range, efficiency and the latest tech are not high priorities for you and you just want a car that gets the basics right, such as reliable windscreen wipers and auto headlights, then a Tesla wouldn’t even be on your shortlist.

So an M3 AWD is the only really viable choice? Clearly and demonstrably not.

A viable EV is one that fits your needs.
EXACTLY! You’d think that was blindingly obvious but someone needed to say it.

I’ve had and M3P for more than two years and I’ll be changing it next September. I don’t know what I’ll be getting yet because the emerging market is very exciting, but I’m 99% certain it won’t be another Tesla. I like simplicity, but I fell out of love a long time ago with the overly Spartan interior of the M3 with its cheap looking vegan “leather”, lack of a decent binnacle display and a HUD, seats that aren’t supportive enough for a car of this performance, completely crap windscreen wipers and auto headlights, and way too much tyre and wind noise for a car in this price range. You certainly couldn’t say that comfort and refinement are the strong points of an M3.

I won’t mention the fact that FSD was a complete waste of money, sold on a false promise and is clearly going nowhere fast. Oh sorry, I just did!

So for me an M3 is certainly viable, but come next year I’m sure I’ll find an EV that suits me much better.

Reactions: candida
No but it probably has one in the floor under the accelerator🙂
Note he said his cruse was set at 70 and in rush hour probably averaged a lot less most of the time. You described a journey actually cruising at 80.
ICE are 20% to 35% efficient which masks the losses from speed, weather and towing etc. EVs are 90+% efficient so these things have a huge impact and can't be ignored. The fact that you don't seem to apreciate that means you are still thinking like an Ice owner. If you want to be happy you need to change your mind set. Change your car or get cryo frozen for a few years.
Oh, I'm thinking wrong. Got it.🙄

Perhaps I should have said Tesla, rather than M3 LR, and also said "for me".
We all have different needs and priorities, if its the right car for you then it's the right car for you and that's great. But it's worth noting across Europe the Tesla share of the EV market peaked at about 31% a few years ago and is now somewhere around 13% and it would be wrong (or patronizing?) to suggest that the 83% of people who chose not to buy Tesla are all wrong.

Reactions: MovingSouth
Tesla were early into the European market, so it isn't a surprise they had a significant share of what then was a very small market.
The car market has fallen, recent figures suggest that it is still substantially less than 2018, but within the reduced market EVs have a large share. For 2021 it will be interesting to see how the year shakes out. My prediction is that the M3 will be the best selling EV in the UK and in some months the best selling car.

This is an interesting read....

I took a look at the BMW i4 M50... 317 WTLP range = about 230 in the real world, based on my Tesla experience.
Similar bhp to the M3, similar performance, larger battery, so why so much less range? What is the difference that make it possible for Tesla to achieve a WLTP range of 360 miles or 13% more?

BMW i4 Gross vehicle weight 2735 kg .... more than half a tonne heavier GVW.

Last edited: