Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I bought a SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I wouldn't have minded the slightly added functions (speakers, ambient lighting), and faster 0-60 is also nice, but not worth the extra for me when I rarely need the range, any trips I've done I've not needed to stop off to charge, either because the round trip isn't actually that long or there were destination chargers at the destination. Only time i've used superchargers wasn't because I've needed to, but to top up with some free referral mile juice :)

From my personal experience, I'm not as good as Bjorn....

Edit: to clarify - an LR will allow you to go much faster. Bjorn is in Norway, I drive though France and Spain. You cannot skip stops in the SR, they are also not frequent enough to go the fastest route. LR will allow you to skip Paris for example. SR will have you stop on the outskirts.

You can also divert with LR with more confidence - go visit that place 50 km off route with no charging, stay at that hotel with no charging.

A supercharger top-up to 100% will let you use the car all week locally without worrying about charging. With SR I had to visit a supercharger every 3 days. I'd spend 20% of the battery for the supercharger roundtrip.

LR is just a better holiday car.
From my personal experience, I'm not as good as Bjorn....

Edit: to clarify - an LR will allow you to go much faster. Bjorn is in Norway, I drive though France and Spain. You cannot skip stops in the SR, they are also not frequent enough to go the fastest route. LR will allow you to skip Paris for example. SR will have you stop on the outskirts.

You can also divert with LR with more confidence - go visit that place 50 km off route with no charging, stay at that hotel with no charging.

A supercharger top-up to 100% will let you use the car all week locally without worrying about charging. With SR I had to visit a supercharger every 3 days. I'd spend 20% of the battery for the supercharger roundtrip.

LR is just a better holiday car.
I skipped Paris in my SR+ on my drive through France last year (same route as I used to do in an ICE). I found the car was usually topped up and ready to move on before I and the rest of the family had finished our break. I was worried that the SR+ wouldn't quite do the job for long trips abroad but, in the end, it was a perfect fit.

I skipped Paris in my SR+ on my drive through France last year (same route as I used to do in an ICE). I found the car was usually topped up and ready to move on before I and the rest of the family had finished our break. I was worried that the SR+ wouldn't quite do the job for long trips abroad but, in the end, it was a perfect fit.
You either stopped at Marne-la-Vallée Supercharger, Orgeval Supercharger or spent about an hour on an earlier supercharger. I don't count that as skipping Paris. But I'm glad you are enjoying your car.

Does anyone find it slightly odd that we EV drivers have an obsession with range? I don't think, for some time, it gets discussed in the ICE world. They take about MPG, sure but that's not range. I had a car with average MPG but a huge fuel tank, so the range was brilliant but it wasn't something you ever discussed, nor did the salesman mention it.

A more useful figure for most people - who want to occasionally go on long trips - is how long it takes to complete a 1000km trip. That directly tells you how many hours of your life you will save for the money that you pay.

The difference between SR and LR is about an hour for such a trip.
That depends on circumstances. If you assume that each driver has a lunch break, the difference shrinks to one hour between a piston-engine car and a SR+, to a half hour between a piston-engine car and a LR. The difference between LR and SR+ shrinks to a half hour.

Apart from this I think your posting is precise and well worth reading.

Does anyone find it slightly odd that we EV drivers have an obsession with range? I don't think, for some time, it gets discussed in the ICE world. They take about MPG, sure but that's not range. I had a car with average MPG but a huge fuel tank, so the range was brilliant but it wasn't something you ever discussed, nor did the salesman mention it.
I think range is the wrong question. I use the word only because almost every ICE driver asks me for the range. It's an obsession of ICE drivers when they are confronted with an EV.

The point that is of some interest to me is the extra time to charge.

Reactions: Neilio
You either stopped at Marne-la-Vallée Supercharger, Orgeval Supercharger or spent about an hour on an earlier supercharger. I don't count that as skipping Paris. But I'm glad you are enjoying your car.
No. I skip Paris entirely by going to Rouen and then cutting across to Orleans via Chartres. I'm usually traveling peak season and have used that route ever since the day it took me about six hours to get round Paris 😀. It's well frequented by Brits avoiding Paris. It's about the same distance if you're planning to travel down the A10 and, according to Google Maps, only about an extra 30 minutes Calais to Orleans, largely because of the slow road between Chartres and the A10. (Also a good saving on tolls).

That depends on circumstances. If you assume that each driver has a lunch break, the difference shrinks to one hour between a piston-engine car and a SR+, to a half hour between a piston-engine car and a LR. The difference between LR and SR+ shrinks to a half hour.

Apart from this I think your posting is precise and well worth reading.
If you assume you drive two hours and take a 20-minute break and keep repeating that (as Highway Code advises), the difference between a piston engine, SR+ and LR is nothing.

Glad we got our LR. Went away for a few nights and just left it there, no power available. Didn't have to worry about it using battery whilst on sentry the whole time. Got back home with plenty of juice - didn't even bother to put it on charge last night so did college run this morning on same charge. Topped it back up on some free greener electricity than had we recharged back up over night. Nice having the extra flexibility to do more things as we want rather than as dictated by the car and knowing that will will have similar flexibility when temperatures are less favourable.

Last edited:
One thing to take from this thread is that around 250 miles range is a sweet spot for many EV's and the option of more is just that and nice to have.
It’s more than that though, isn’t it? As EV converts, it’s important we don’t perpetuate the myth that EVs won’t work for people unless they go as far as an ICE. A real motorway range of 200 miles added to 100kw+ rapid charging and good infrastructure will work for most people who are not having to daily drive long distances professionally. Cars that will do that are still more than expensive enough for most budgets.

If you assume you drive two hours and take a 20-minute break and keep repeating that (as Highway Code advises), the difference between a piston engine, SR+ and LR is nothing.

What if I told you, you still stop every 2 hours with LR and still arrive there faster and using less money?

SR, break every 2 hours:
Cost 87 €
Charge time - 3 h 56 min
Distance 928 mi
Drive time 14 h 55
Longest stretch - 2 hours 8 min
Total 18 hours 51 min

LR, break every 2 hours

Cost 83 € - costs less because you took more from home
Charge time 1 h 47 min - charge less as explained before
Distance 927 mi - less distance due to fewer stops
Drive time 14 h 37 min - less time due to fewer stops
Longest stretch - 2 h 15 min
Total 16 hours 54 min

Reactions: btc1k
What if I told you, you still stop every 2 hours with LR and still arrive there faster and using less money?

SR, break every 2 hours:
Cost 87 €
Charge time - 3 h 56 min
Distance 928 mi
Drive time 14 h 55
Longest stretch - 2 hours 8 min
Total 18 hours 51 min

LR, break every 2 hours

Cost 83 € - costs less because you took more from home
Charge time 1 h 47 min - charge less as explained before
Distance 927 mi - less distance due to fewer stops
Drive time 14 h 37 min - less time due to fewer stops
Longest stretch - 2 h 15 min
Total 16 hours 54 min
Your SR+ figures sound too high. I can't replicate them in ABRP. If I put in a journey of 938 miles, Calais to Spain, I get a charging time of 2h 43 mins for SR+. I'd probably stop more often in an SR+ and keep charging speeds high rather than stick to a strict two hours between stops. The longest journey I've done in a day is 400 miles. I made three supercharger stops totalling 55 minutes. Basically, I need an average 20-minute stop for every 100 miles apart from the first 100 and the last 100 miles. So, for 900 miles that's 7 x 20 minute stops ie 2 hours 20 mins.

Reactions: LEE3
One thing to take from this thread is that around 250 miles range is a sweet spot for many EV's and the option of more is just that and nice to have.
Not so for everyone. It depends on whether routes you might want to take go via available/reliable charging stations or whether you have to divert to get to them. 250 miles...is that winter rang?. If not then it's really 200miles and personally I'd never aim to come home with less than 30 miles left in case of the unexpected. Add to that stopping on a day out and car needing to rewarm it's insides and you have 200 minus 30 minus 5 miles range... so an 83mile each way day trip. Until chargers are ubiquitous I'd wish for a 500 mile summer 400 mile winter range.

I had a range record today in the 2019 SR+ ... 42 miles to Edinburgh travelled at 166Wh/mile ... if it were possible to keep that average it comes out at just over 300 miles from a full battery.... there were things in my favour for that outward leg but even though the return was in cooler temps and with the gradients against me an overall 208Wh/mile there and back is not to be sniffed at!

No tricks other than a very light right foot... and kept up with the traffic speeds. Two up in the car.

Just been reading the posts in this thread. The theme of why I bought a SR+ seems to have become why I bought a LR ! And it’s become some kind of M3 model pissing competition! Yes, the long range has a longer range! Be happy folks 🙂
That's a good point. You can just imagine a, say e Tron or ipace driver coming on here and seeing an argument about efficient EVs and thinking.. oh... Hmmm maybe I need to drive slower.

Thanks for all your contributions to this topic... The main reason for speaking out, was that someone who may be thinking about replacing their ICE car with another ICE car, might not realize that you can get to drive a Tesla for almost the same money when taking a 4 - 5 year view, based on running cost savings. Of course we don't know what the deprecation will be over this time but I think it won't be worse than an ICE car.

I certainly didn't want to compare SR+ with LR or the P, as each as their own individual merits.

Yes, there are now cheaper (or comparable) EV's on the market, but they are not Tesla's and do not have access to the supercharging network. Also they cannot compete with the SR+ performance...
In 4 - 5 years time there will be many better EV options on the market but if you are keen to drive an EV, the Tesla SR+ is a good choice right now, if it fits your life style.

Personally, I then the SR+ is an fantastic car and enjoy driving it whenever I can...

P.S. Battery degradation will be slightly worse than a LR due to depth of charge cycles, but even after 8 years it will still have a useful range, for most people, for daily commuting to work, etc.

Last edited:
With your mileage, assuming 1000 cycles, battery life is maybe 12 years. Probably with the LR, you retain a little bit more value in the later years, but there is always a risk of sudden battery failure due to calendar age - so I'm thinking you made the right call. Over 20k miles probably tips the balance the other way - unless you gamble on a cheap replacement pack being a wear and tear item in 10 years time.

Your SR+ figures sound too high. I can't replicate them in ABRP. If I put in a journey of 938 miles, Calais to Spain, I get a charging time of 2h 43 mins for SR+. I'd probably stop more often in an SR+ and keep charging speeds high rather than stick to a strict two hours between stops. The longest journey I've done in a day is 400 miles. I made three supercharger stops totalling 55 minutes. Basically, I need an average 20-minute stop for every 100 miles apart from the first 100 and the last 100 miles. So, for 900 miles that's 7 x 20 minute stops ie 2 hours 20 mins.

You don't need to replicate them, just click on the link.