TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Why I bought a Tesla

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I haven't looked at exchange rates lately, but I'm assuming that $180k price the author tossed out there means a P100DL.

That really makes me wonder what the other car is - there aren't many cars that are faster to 60 than an XP100DL (more than the S version, of course, but still pretty rarified territory.) Unless he's using one of the other definitions of faster - quarter mile or top speed, maybe?

3. lennier

lennier Member

#3 lennier, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    No a P100DL runs closer to $300k these days I think. $180k is a base 75D with a couple of options. This is in Australia, in AUD.

• Like x 1
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I knew it was over there and in AUD. I hadn't realized just how expensive a Tesla is over there, though - and since $12k was buying what's $8k in options here, I made some apparently incorrect assumptions about the rest of the price.

5. lennier

lennier Member

Yeah unfortunately we have a lot of taxes on top of the exchange-rate-based starting price.

• Like x 1
  6. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

lots of taxes, "WE'RE GOING TO BUILD A WALL", it's going to enclose Canberra so the federal politicians 20th century mindset doesn't infect the remainder of the population.

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I hope that goes better than I expect our wall to. :)

8. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

He's not a very skilled writer considering his job.

9. Mark E

Mark E Member

Agreed. I was also a bit annoyed at the cheap shot about build quality. I have one of the first delivered Australian cars and it's been fine. I have other friends with cars from BMW, MB etc that have been back for some relatively serious repairs.

10. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Not a very concerned citizen of the world either.

11. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

12. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

There's a misconception over Tesla build quality, most issues show up on early built cars, first with the model S and then with the model X, most are US owned, by the time cars reach the Australian market the production line appears to have sorted problems.

13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

14. houdini

houdini Member

Yes this kind of crap really annoys me. I asume they're talking about the "feel" of the plastics and the door liners or some such limited view of buulid quality. Build quality goes to more than that. My last Mercedes had a cheap plastic seat height adjuster handle which snapped of three times and was "fixed" under warranty with exactly the same handle. After the third timenwe had to touch it with kid gloves every time we used it to avoid it breaking. Then the last time we picked it up from service the service manager told us the mechanic had broken it off and they'd replace it for us! Sheesh.

I'd rather have something that felt harder to the touch but didn't break everytime you used it.

15. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

Who gives a #?%! about an opinion of a nouveau riche richard cranium. His opinion and ramblings are irrelevant.

16. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

Irony?