Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Cancelled My Model 3 Order and am No Longer a Tesla Fan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya typical of Tesla. You either play by their rules or bye bye.

I did not like the waiting process one bit. The car is nice. I like the car but the buying experience I can do without. Dealers no matter how Scumbag the salesman’s are they bend over backwards for you because they want your commission.

I will never place a reservation for a Tesla anymore because it’s worthless. I will wait till it’s readily available like “now” where I can place a order and get it in a few weeks.

Reactions: Teslie
I think the original poster got jerked around so much, he did the right thing. I would do exactly the same thing if Tesla jerked me around that much. It's just human decency; if the company doesn't have a ticketing system to enforce human decency and/or make exceptions when the screw someon - exceptionally - they don't deserve to get anybody's business. I hope Tesla doesn't do this to me ...

Last edited:
Keep in mind the majority of people have positive interactions with tesla. Check youtube, and then check here. Most people are not going to report here on TMC that everythign went normal but they might come on TMC to whine.

But even if i had a piss-poor purchasing experience, that wouldn't matter to me. I'd still love my car and enjoy it. I remember when i bought my lexus, the people at the dealership were the biggest jackasses on the planet but i still wanted my car and still enjoyed it when i got it.

Or, check the Model 3 Owners Survey. Same result. A minority had bad experiences, but most people had great experiences with Tesla, and ranked the company higher than their last car's manufacturer.

You feel for people who have bad experiences because it's unfortunate, and particularly when they - like this - could have been avoided. But you also need to keep the larger picture in mind - as always, anecdotes != data.

Reactions: P85_DA
Rules are rules. 400k+ people waiting for a car, they aren't going to wait forever for you to get it. That's called adult life, not being a fanboy.

I remember when the Toyota prius 2nd gen first came out in 2004 or whatever and there were long waiting lists at every car dealership. There was no way no toyota dealership would hold onto a car for you for even 3 days. If they called you and you wern't getting the car, it'd go to the next guy waiting.
Oh! Oh! I like "remember" games!!!!

I remember when the OP was scheduled to get his first car and it was all kinds of messed up and then Tesla wasn't accommodating in getting him a non-messed up replacement, despite delays and poor communication on their part.

Maybe you're in the wrong thread? Or is not-reading and running roughshod over relevant particulars part of "adult life"?

Are you able to get to this page in your account? Notice the bottom left bit - wonder if it matters ..
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at Aug 16, 6.20.56 AM .png

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Oh! Oh! I like "remember" games!!!!

I remember when the OP was scheduled to get his first car and it was all kinds of messed up and then Tesla wasn't accommodating in getting him a non-messed up replacement, despite delays and poor communication on their part.

Maybe you're in the wrong thread? Or is not-reading and running roughshod over relevant particulars part of "adult life"?

I remember when Tesla finally had a new car for the OP, but he didn't have time to pick it up and now he's butt hurt they gave it to someone else.

I understand the OP’s frustration with Tesla. We have owned 4 over the years, and I have had my fair share of customer service/ Tesla woes. I’m actually in the middle of some frustration at the moment after taking delivery of my MX and getting the due bill settled. That being said, they have always taken care of whatever I’ve needed done, even if it’s in “Tesla Time.” Tesla is unlike any car. I do not want to drive any other SUV on the market. Furthermore, Tesla as a company, is unlike any other in their operations. I love having the option to order my car from the comfort of home.. no pressure to get options I don’t want or need. In addition, I've never felt the same level of anticipation or excitement waiting for a car, like I have my Tesla. I’m confident many of the growing pains we as customers are feeling will eventually be ironed out and future owners will feel less of the Tesla growing pains. I, for one, am not willing to wait. So, while yes OP, I know you’re feeling disappointment and frustration, I will tell you it all melts away when you’re behind the wheel of a lightening fast, smooth as silk, whisper quiet Tesla.

While I'm not making any excuses as to the personal experience the OP had, I think it's important to remember that Tesla is going against the grain on almost every front of their business model (sometimes due to outside currents and influences). When you decide to go with a Tesla, I feel that you're accepting a lot more than just a forward-thinking car...it's an entire outside-of-the-box package. It's a large part of why I chose the Model 3 instead of just another neat EV. However, with that comes a LOT of growing pains. The frustration can be real, but it's also somewhat a draw of the deal: it could go perfectly smooth or it could run into the rails a bit.

Anyone with that experience would be well within their right to refuse to accept the terms and cancel, but that doesn't mean both sides weren't trying. It's unfortunate.

Noah replied unsympathetically and stated that Delivery Centers can't hold vehicles for more than 7 days.

Delivery centers would be completely screwed if even a portion of their deliveries actually went out to 7 days.

Beyond 7 would be complete madness.

P3 Costa Mesa Delivery - Admirable effort, considering the challenges.

Thankfully most owners get their cars the moment they can.

Moving 100 cars through a building in a day that holds less than a dozen is mind boggling.

Bottom Line: the car was supposed to be originally delivered on a certain date, but Tesla was unable to delivery on that date due to issues with the car. OP had scheduled to be out of the country when Tesla decided to finally deliver the car. Tesla needed to make an exception here since OP would not have been in this situation had the car been delivered when originally promised (and not almost 2 months later).

Bottom Line: the car was supposed to be originally delivered on a certain date, but Tesla was unable to delivery on that date due to issues with the car. OP had scheduled to be out of the country when Tesla decided to finally deliver the car. Tesla needed to make an exception here since OP would not have been in this situation had the car been delivered when originally promised (and not almost 2 months later).

Well-summarized and not at all difficult for most to understand.