Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I cancelled my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds more like buyers remorse to be honest. Really think anyone would look at that obviously out of spec list of issues and believe they were said to be in Spec and acceptable and or worse yet, unfixable? I mean let's not be ridiculous. Say what you want good or bad, but we all know Tesla will try to fix anything and everything and most of the times right there on the spot. Whole thing sounds like BS to be honest.
I was told by Tesla that they were not fixable at my appointment. this was not an assumption or me trying to over exaggerate. I’m just not willing to take delivery of a very expensive car with obvious manufacturing issues that can’t be repaired or fixed. I’m surprised that everyone here is trying to discredit me. Here’s some photos not the best but what I had in my phot album.

Attachments

• 58566327-1220-43DD-A7F1-8115FE139B8C.jpeg
    58566327-1220-43DD-A7F1-8115FE139B8C.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 16C6F0E7-DF62-4B87-9221-1FB992732EBD.jpeg
    16C6F0E7-DF62-4B87-9221-1FB992732EBD.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 46FED8A7-D82F-4CC7-975B-2144C3586012.jpeg
    46FED8A7-D82F-4CC7-975B-2144C3586012.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 23F941CF-DB47-41CE-8152-1B63ED55DEB3.jpeg
    23F941CF-DB47-41CE-8152-1B63ED55DEB3.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 148
  • C7CAC4E7-3ACA-4F3E-AA3D-FC6F9AE95241.jpeg
    C7CAC4E7-3ACA-4F3E-AA3D-FC6F9AE95241.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 7659C4DB-EEE2-450A-A37C-38BB929F69FF.jpeg
    7659C4DB-EEE2-450A-A37C-38BB929F69FF.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 141
I was told by Tesla that they were not fixable at my appointment. this was not an assumption or me trying to over exaggerate. I’m just not willing to take delivery of a very expensive car with obvious manufacturing issues that can’t be repaired or fixed. I’m surprised that everyone here is trying to discredit me. Here’s some photos not the best but what I had in my phot album.
To be fair, out of the three I've had, my first one in 2019 had pretty much 0 problems, the second one had some minor issues, and the third one had the most (2 misaligned panels, axle needed lube, a couple other issues). The service center was very helpful, but my issues definitely weren't bad as yours. It's certainly pretty common I agree, but the choice to stay for me was mostly because there really isn't anything better. The other options either had worse efficiency, or couldn't match the convenience of the supercharger system. By opening SC's to third parties, Tesla may be screwing themselves a bit since that's why a lot of people chose Teslas.

I just took delivery of a fresh MYLR (July 31st 2022). It had exactly 2 flaws - there was one bit of clear protective plastic still clinging to the interior headliner (I pulled it off), and there was one corner of the forward edge of the dash that was a bit higher than the rest (I pushed on it, it clicked and locked into place).

That was it. Panel gaps straight. Paint fine. Interior delightful. Every function and feature working.

Reactions: nate704
Yep these are pretty terrible. I'd never accept delivery of that car. My delivery experience surprised me. General expectations being what they are on quality control, I thought I'd have a couple minor issues to get sorted. Fortunately, my MYLR was a perfect specimen. Not a single flaw, after 3 months of ownership and a meticulous hand-detailing inside and out. My experience is an outlier, as I expect yours is.

I hate that the consistency is not there yet. It's like the panel lottery one plays every time they buy a TV. There are variances in quality and your still never know what you're gonna get.

In this boat as well. I took delivery of my 2022 MYP back in March of this year. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to this stuff, but the amount of creaks/rattles this car has is mind-blowing. All of my previous cars (Audi S4, Toyota Camry, BMW 335xi, Mazda CX-5, Audi SQ5) were leaps and bounds quieter in the cabin than the MYP.

Every bump on a road is a new creak or rattle to be discovered that just doesn't stop, and I'm only 2700 miles in.

I have one last service appt to see if they can address any of it (had 3 so far), and if they can't address it, off to Vroom or Carvana it goes.

I love the EV life and I believe in the Tesla vision, but at this point, this car just may not be for me.

One benefit of the recent price increases is that if someone gets a Tesla with more issues than they can accept, it is relatively easy to sell their car at a profit and move on. Of course, not an ideal situation, but at least a way to move on.

I notice most all the used car adds mention that their car is perfect in every way :)

not sure what im looking at lol.
But based on those photos mine looks the same and im happy with it. no car will be perfect by any means. Just what you can deal with

In this boat as well. I took delivery of my 2022 MYP back in March of this year. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive to this stuff, but the amount of creaks/rattles this car has is mind-blowing. All of my previous cars (Audi S4, Toyota Camry, BMW 335xi, Mazda CX-5, Audi SQ5) were leaps and bounds quieter in the cabin than the MYP.
I had CX-5 and Q5. All had rattles/vibrations that they could not solve after multiple fix attempts. The infamous B pillar rattle on the Q5/SQ5s as well as the pano roof ratttle/squeak.

The panel gaps should be fixable, however as others have pointed, out, when you move one thing, it's possible something else gets out of whack so YMMV. The scratches near the headlight IMO not a reason to reject the car, have them address. The window picture is of an l-shaped "boot" / trim that comes in / out pretty easily. It just looks like it's not tucked in all the way and AFAIK is not part of any seal integrity. The spoiler is an ongoing tale of woe for some owners, its not glued down right.

We all have different tolerances for what's acceptable, I would not have rejected that car assuming the SC offered to make it right. Based on their refusal, I see can understand why you'd reject the car.

We bought a used ’21 MYP (~9500 miles on the odometer) and, of course, I was aware of and looked critically at the outside panel gaps and I was actually impressed by the the build quality of the car. That said, if I had spent $75k for a brand-new car and it arrived with the same issues as the OP had (especially after seeing the pics), I would’ve been pissed and I probably would’ve done the same as he did, frankly.

Poor build quality. Literally the worst fit and finish of any of the countless vehicles I have ever owned. Absolutely no pride just production. I rejected my first model y and just now decided to cancel my order. My time is obviously not valued when I’m expected to do a vehicle inspection for obvious issues and then have to come back to a service center and have them repaired on a new very expensive car. These are just the things you can see. NO WAY!!! Im going back to building assets not creating liabilities.

Hey you can just admit you can't afford it. No need to make up excuses 🤣

Every bump on a road is a new creak or rattle to be discovered that just doesn't stop, and I'm only 2700 miles in.

I have one last service appt to see if they can address any of it (had 3 so far), and if they can't address it, off to Vroom or Carvana it goes.

I love the EV life and I believe in the Tesla vision, but at this point, this car just may not be for me.
Strange. Just crossed 20k miles and car is totally tight and rattle-free.

Reactions: Yelobird

Pic 1 will need Tesla to fix for sure or a bodyshop. Spoiler and the headlight are easy fix. Yes Tesla should have addressed them before they call you but until they up their game we need to do some work , in return we avoid dealing the A**h**s car sales and the insanity of buying a car from a dealer.

I have seen same crap on other under 70K cars from GM and ford so do not play that game. Also those dealer fixes a lot of cars before they put them on the floor without declaring it if it was under $1000. (varies by state).

You did the right thing if they said no to fix it.

I hope you enjoy your next perfect Rolls Royce and the wasted time cross shopping dealers, price negotiation and trying to get the least over MSRP BS.

Last edited:
Hah! don't get me started with the VTC actuator issue that has plagued Honda for more than a decade. I'll take panel gaps any day (if any these days) over any motor / battery issues.
Most Tesla owners do not know how lucky we are when it comes to issues that are mostly aesthetics. My previous Honda, BMW, VW, Mazda had all issues with engines, oil leaks, coolant leaks, rear main seal leaks, blown seals, turbo failures, etc. Most legacy makers will tell you that oil sipping/burning is "within spec", especially those German cars.
I will gladly take any panel gap issues, scratches, and/or paint issues over those actual issues.

Reactions: Sixth
Let’s not forget …

In 2020 J.D. Power ranked Tesla as the worst vehicle brand in the annual Initial Quality Study. The study measures the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) in the first 90 days of ownership.
Interesting. J.D. Power ranked Tesla #2 in build quality in China. German built Teslas seem not to generate build complaints. So that suggests that the Fremont factory is the bad egg. Sandy Munro was extremely critical of the build quality of the Model 3 when it first came out, his more recent tear downs of newer Teslas led him to comment that their current build quality is "the equal of any of the German automakers."

J.D. Power listed Buick in their 2022 report as the brand with the best build quality. Hmmm...

How J.D. Power Makes Money​

J.D. Power makes money by selling its research findings and licensing fees. If a company wants to feature J.D. Power in an advertisement (like those car commercials you might see), the company has to pay a licensing fee for it.
Auto-insurance companies can hire J.D. Power to get access to LoyaltyIQ reports, white papers related to the auto-insurance industry, analysis of your company’s product performance in key areas, and 10 hours of consultation with a J.D. Power insurance industry analyst.
Businesses can hire J.D. Power to perform a certified customer service audit that includes a customer survey, comparisons to industry standards, a best-practices scorecard, and a one-year license to use the survey and scorecard. Completing the program gives the company a “Certified Customer Service Program” designation.

Criticism of JD Power​

Because companies pay J.D. Power licensing fees, there are situations in which J.D. Power is making money off the very companies it’s ranking. This possible conflict of interest is something competitor "Consumer Reports" addressed in a May 2020 article. The article called attention to the fact that J.D. Power charges fees for companies to access survey results, mention the firm in ads, and participate in the Certified Customer Service Program.5
However, J.D. Power claims its surveys provide, “independent and unbiased feedback from a representative sample of verified product owners,” which would negate, in theory, any bias toward its paying customers.
Furthermore, J.D. Power argues, only the companies who perform the best in certain categories can pay for a license. In other words, J.D. Power doesn’t hand out its licenses to just anyone who’s willing to pay the fee.

• Informative
Reactions: Sixth and Corndart