Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Chose Pearl White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PearlTeslaModelSmed.jpg

I'm very pleased that my front bumper and hood are still looking so pristine after 8,500 miles. Whatever Tesla is using for clear coat seems to be quite resistant to stone chips. With that in mind, I would suggest to yet-to-be owners that you forgo the Paint Armor unless you live in an area where they dump sand on the roads in the winter or you drive unpaved roads regularly.

It's not the rock chips that are a problem per se, but the paint overall seems soft and prone to scratches.

No question that white is less likely to show scratches than Tesla's darker colors, but that said, there are some precautions you can take to keep your finish looking pristine. I've owned two black Ferraris—the ultimate challenge for paint maintenance.

Basically, there are microscopic abrasive particles everywhere. When these particles get into your sponge, chamois and towel, you're effectively rubbing your car with sandpaper. Your can minimize this risk by heeding these guidelines...

• Never go through a car wash that lets anything physically touch your car. This means the ones with the big felt strips. I would not even visit a car wash where they towel-dry your car. Those towels are not clean enough!

• When you hand wash your car, always rinse it off first, even if it's only dusty. (When magnified, that dust is like sand.)

• Never wash your car with a sponge! Use a natural sheepskin wash mitt or a soft cotton cloth. Always launder these after EVERY use. (Wash mitts don't need to go into the dryer.)

• Use a quality car wash detergent, like Mothers California Gold. Keep plenty of lather between the mitt/cloth and the paint. Warm water is ok, but not hot water.

• Dry your car with a soft 100% cotton towel or a synthetic chamois. Buy several of them, and launder them after EVERY use. (Chamois don't need to go into the dryer.)

• Never wipe the dust off your car while the car is dry. At the microscopic level, this will most certainly scratch your clear coat.

I used to be a big fan of hard car waxes (wax on—wax off), but I've learned over the years that you can get just as much shine out of instant detail sprays—if your clear coat is in good shape. The instant detail products won't last as long, but they're a lot faster & easier, and they won't lead to wax buildup. Hard carnuba wax certainly isn't bad for your car, but it does involve a lot of work. Whichever route you go, be absolutely certain that all of your polishing cloths have been freshly laundered before they come in contact with your paint.

Last edited:
I used to be a big fan of hard car waxes (wax on—wax off), but I've learned over the years that you can get just as much shine out of instant detail sprays—if your clear coat is in good shape. The instant detail products won't last as long, but they're a lot faster & easier, and they won't lead to wax buildup. Hard carnuba wax certainly isn't bad for your car, but it does involve a lot of work. Whichever route you go, be absolutely certain that all of your polishing cloths have been freshly laundered before they come in contact with your paint.

Another view on the subject: waxes aren't really for shining up the car. Polishing shines the car. Waxes can add depth to the shine -- certainly if you have dark paint (you know this as a Ferrari owner). I see waxes as additional layers of protection for your car. QDs don't add enough protection on top of the clear coat. Today, you can get some very high quality paste waxes that will give you protection for 3+ months. For others who are interested, sealants will give you longer protection (4-6 months), and nano coatings will offer you even longer protection. There are quite a few coatings, and some will give you up to 1-2 years of protection.

I've tried Gtechniq C1 + EXO, Permanon Platinum, Hydro2 and C.Quartz. I just finished coating my wife's car with Permanon Platinum, and not only did it make the paint look glassy, it sheets like crazy!

Another view on the subject: waxes aren't really for shining up the car. Polishing shines the car. Waxes can add depth to the shine -- certainly if you have dark paint (you know this as a Ferrari owner). I see waxes as additional layers of protection for your car. QDs don't add enough protection on top of the clear coat. Today, you can get some very high quality paste waxes that will give you protection for 3+ months. For others who are interested, sealants will give you longer protection (4-6 months), and nano coatings will offer you even longer protection. There are quite a few coatings, and some will give you up to 1-2 years of protection.

I've tried Gtechniq C1 + EXO, Permanon Platinum, Hydro2 and C.Quartz. I just finished coating my wife's car with Permanon Platinum, and not only did it make the paint look glassy, it sheets like crazy!

Kevin, good thoughts. I am also a fan of sealants, but I haven't used any on the Tesla. We may be at a slight advantage here in Vermont, in terms of pollutants that could damage a clear coat. I also own a 1940 Lincoln Continental that received a show-car-level paint job in 1996. It has never had wax on it. The clear coat looks as good as it did right after it was painted. It does get driven regularly (in the summer), but I do try to keep it out of the rain.

ToddsLincoln.jpg

Beautiful looking car there!

Chicago may be a little different. There's a lot of pollution around here, and the salty slush was just a pain in the rear. I have three different sealants that I've used: Menzerna Powerlock, Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. They're all very good, but I think the Menzerna has been my favorite so far.

Beautiful looking car there!

Chicago may be a little different. There's a lot of pollution around here, and the salty slush was just a pain in the rear. I have three different sealants that I've used: Menzerna Powerlock, Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. They're all very good, but I think the Menzerna has been my favorite so far.

Are you applying those yourself or do you have a good professional shop in the Chicago area that applies them for you?