Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I decided against window tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously I used window tint to keep my car cooler in the sun. My last car had Llumar Air Blue 80 installed and it did a good job with solar thermal rejection. I live in Ohio and it's pretty hot in the summer but it can be very cold in the winter. Since it appears cooling the car is far less of an energy hit than heating it I'm passing on tint this time. I know solar energy is not that great in the winter but I figured it could help. I've also had some time with the white seats in the sun and they don't really get hot.

Is my logic sound?

With IR rejection films ask yourself: Where does the IR go?...

Now ask yourself: If I'm heating my car in the winter, do I want the IR to go out the windows or be reflected back at me? Which is more efficient?
Does IR film reflect in both directions? I don’t think that is necessarily true and I don’t know the answer.

If I’m not heating my car how could IR film help me in the winter.

Does IR film reflect in both directions? I don’t think that is necessarily true and I don’t know the answer.

If I’m not heating my car how could IR film help me in the winter.
Both your body heat and seat heaters are going to emit IR whether you have the car heater on or not.

I don't see any evidence it would only be one direction. Typically these are ceramic films with microscopic particles suspended in the film.

I see a lot of confusion here. Drivers of an advance energy vehicle struggling with heat energy. Let me explain some basics and you can go crazy with the details.

Roughly 49 percent of solar heat is in visible light. Same for IR, 2% is in uv. Not numbers you will see on the internet, but roll with it, I know people who actually measured it (now eastmann performance films).

Anyway, assuming you have chosen a film that is not microwave safe, which is to say not a regular film made of ink, then your film absorbs IR to some degree and would be considered a heat control film to some degree. It doesnt matter to me how much, this is basic info and you can scrap amongst yourselves as to which is the best product, but for the love of God get over 1 % differences as you could not feel it.

Anyway, things that absorb heat get hot. And that heat seeks the lower energy state of cooler atoms in the same way water seeks to level itself if offered an opportunity. High energy flows to low energy to get equilibrium, this is a pesky rule of physics. Your car is 160-to 180f sitting in hot sun. While the film stops the sun, it also absorbs the heat from inside the greenhouse of your car and lets that now hot glass have a better emIssion of heat to the cooler 90 degree outside enviroment. When you drive, like a radiator on a gas engine car, the wind is a energy deficit hole that also allows for energy to leave the greenhouse. The glass is reflective and the ceramic or other material in a heat tint allows absorbtion of heat, rather than reflection, so the glass becomes a part of the conduit of emitted heat from the inside of the car.

I say all this because everybody focuses on the sun, but the heat is inside the car.

In the winter, the fil also absorbs heat, warming the window glass. 20 degress more than abiant is pretty common. Same rules apply though, heat flows to the cold area.

Heat transfer through infrared (IR) electromagnetic waves is called heat transfer by radiation, and this is the only type of heat transfer that window tint films can block.

Window tint films do not block the heat transfer mechanisms of conduction (heat moving between two objects that are in physical contact, such as the seat heated by the seat heater and your body), or convection (heat moving from a moving fluid into an object, such as the heated air from the vents transferring heat to your body as the air moves past).

Radiative heat transfer is only significant when the temperature difference between the two objects is very high, such as between the sun and the car. Radiative heat transfer from inside the car to the outside on a winter day is virtually nil, the temperature difference isn't nearly hot enough.

Thus, window tints can have a significant effect on blocking radiative heat transfer inward from the sun to the car's interior, but won't do anything for heat transfer outward. This is not a physical manefestation of the film itself, but instead is because there is nothing inside the car hot enough to emit IR radiation that the tint could block.

Interesting comments. My tint shop is in walking distance from my house so I may stop by and see what they say.
While the film stops the sun, it also absorbs the heat from inside the greenhouse of your car and lets that now hot glass have a better emIssion of heat to the cooler 90 degree outside enviroment.
I agree with what you are saying but Llumar Air Blue 80 or 90 should not absorb that much because it almost clear and mostly rejects IR and UV. It's listed as a rejection and not blocking/absorption product. I'm just quoting this product because that's what I landed on when researching film over 4 years ago. Aside from the thermal discussion this type of film makes things look wonky when wearing polarized sunglasses.

This right here - especially right now with this car. I’m getting stared at like a museum exhibit everywhere I go. Tint appointment this Monday after owning a month.
That's fine but don't confuse it with the topic on merits of tinting or not tinting in a mixed hot/cold geographical location.

If people see me I don't care. It's not like I'm doing coke lines off my steering wheel or have people tied up in my back seat.

Just make sure you wear sunscreen. I read that side windows does not have UVA protection only UVB. Windshield got both. So if you don't have tint and don't wear sunscreen.... your left side (face, left arm/hand) will age faster than your right. UVA causes premature skin aging.

Just make sure you wear sunscreen. I read that side windows does not have UVA protection only UVB. Windshield got both. So if you don't have tint and don't wear sunscreen.... your left side (face, left arm/hand) will age faster than your right. UVA causes premature skin aging.
I'll check it out myself. If that's the case I will have to fix it regardless of the thermals. I make several >100 mile trips every month.

Is there a comparison in energy usage to heating versus cool the car?

I don't see how cooling is more efficient than heating.

I think what actually happens is Lithium Ion batteries have really poor efficiency in cool weather so it only appears like heating takes so much more energy. Plus things like water/snow, and other weather events play in during the winter. So it's hard to really isolate all the variables. I'd really need to get numbers that are going into the cooling/heating elements of the HVAC system.

We also haven't had a winter with a lot of Model 3's so I don't think we have a good indication of what it's going to be like. The Model S/X isn't a good comparison because it does things a bit differently.

I'll check it out myself. If that's the case I will have to fix it regardless of the thermals. I make several >100 mile trips every month.

Sun Hazards in Your Car - SkinCancer.org

I also read that even though mostly UVB causes skin cancer, UVA could have a slight chance of that also. And there were study shows that in US and other left hand driver side countries, there are more skin cancers reported on left side of face and left hand. While it is on the right for countries with right driver side.