Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I feel less angry about the lower EAP + FSD price after thinking this out

What Tesla can do to make the early adopters (2018 and prior) to be less angry?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is how I look at this:
1. Those who bought EAP + FSD get early firmware access & HW3 swap out earlier than others

2. Those who bought EAP pays $2k more to get FSD ($1k less than people in the previous option) . That's a $1K worth to get early firmware access & HW3

3. Those who bought the car in 2019 but before the big announcement, get free FSD upgrade if they bought EAP already ($5k). This group of people get the most benefits.
These are the people who just got the car or maybe it's in the process of being delivered, the price drop after the big announcement is a stab in their heart since some can return the car & buy the car again for a cheaper price but higher cost for AP + FSD ($8K). Tesla wants to offset the difference by reducing the cost of AP + FSD to $5k to cover the lower cost of the car after the big announcement. There is no benefit to return the car and buy it again now since they can get a lower cost in the car but have to pay $8k if they want AP + FSD. There is nothing to cry about here other than they get a better deal than those who bought the car prior to 2019.
The only people that might benefit if they return the car and buy it again is those who don't want AP or FSD. They can save a little bit by the lower cost in the car, but this is a small group.

4. Those who did not buy either options before the big announcement can pay $5k to get both if they didn't get them when ordering the car.
This was a shocker to me, and most of you think this group raped us early adopters, but to lessen the pain, I think Tesla did this because they feel that these are the people who can't afford the $8k price or don't need AP or FSD. They don't want to spend money on something they don't think it's worth the $8k, so since Tesla will likely get $0 from this group, might as well lower the price to bring in more money for the company. They rather get $5K (which is the same as the FSD price). Tesla considers AP is free or the cost of developing AP has been paid for so it's a no cost to them to give it out for free to this group so they can get the other $5k.

5. Those who bought the car after the big announcement still have to pay $8k for AP + FSD. They get a lower cost in the car but AP & FSD are still more expensive or the same as the early adopters. Tesla can also charge them more if they didn't buy these options during purchase.

So out of the groups above, I feel the people who got the car before 2019 can feel betrayed a bit, but after thinking this out I'm more understanding as of why Tesla does thing the way it is. What would be nice that I think many of us early adopters (2018 and before) can tweet to Elon is to suggest him if he can do one of the following option to us early adopters to lessen the impact are:
a) Give us priority on the next car purchase (e.g., model Y or truck). Those that bought in 2019 or later will be behind us
b) Give us a $1k or $2k credit to the next car purchase (e.g., model Y or truck), accessories or services
c) Give us an invitation to the model Y or truck reveal
d) Free supercharging credit for X months
e) Extended warranty for X months & miles

If you are one of the early adopters (2018 or prior) which options a-e, would you think Tesla can add on to make you less angry?

Where’s the option for ‘wasn’t angry in the first place/at all’? Put me down for that one.

This. Having value added on the newer cars is the nature of the game. Are Roadster owners complaining? Are early non-AP S owners? They overpaid (relatively speaking) to help bring us down the cost curve. I benefitted from that when I bought my 3 last year.

Now others are benefitting from my having bought my 3 when I did, by paying a bit less than I did for the same features.

This is fine with me. Even though I don't feel entitled to anything, Tesla is throwing me a bone by dropping the FSD upgrade cost if I want it. Great! It's good for me as I may get it, and it's good for them as they may get money they wouldn't have before.

But at the end of the day, a car is a depreciating asset that improves traditionally with model years. With any other manufacturer, new buyers would be a model year ahead and either getting some features or pricing changes that I'm not. With Tesla, my car has improved in so many ways since I bought it that would not have happened with any other company--and I see real value in that. If the flip side is Tesla does what they need to do to continue improving the business, that also benefits me in the form of a stronger company that can continue to support my vehicle in the years to come.

Perspective, people. Some folks need more of it.

1. Says who? Currently, the 10,000 to 20,000 “early access program” members do not receive priority for hardware or software updates. Tesla currently uses other criteria like geography to prioritize updates. Will that change? Who knows.

2. See #1.

You missed one benefit. Now that Tesla is crushing resale values, Model 3 owners in states with a personal property tax (on cars) should see a lower tax bill.

Reactions: omar
Here is how I look at this:
1. Those who bought EAP + FSD get early firmware access & HW3 swap out earlier than others

2. Those who bought EAP pays $2k more to get FSD ($1k less than people in the previous option) . That's a $1K worth to get early firmware access & HW3

3. Those who bought the car in 2019 but before the big announcement, get free FSD upgrade if they bought EAP already ($5k). This group of people get the most benefits.
These are the people who just got the car or maybe it's in the process of being delivered, the price drop after the big announcement is a stab in their heart since some can return the car & buy the car again for a cheaper price but higher cost for AP + FSD ($8K). Tesla wants to offset the difference by reducing the cost of AP + FSD to $5k to cover the lower cost of the car after the big announcement. There is no benefit to return the car and buy it again now since they can get a lower cost in the car but have to pay $8k if they want AP + FSD. There is nothing to cry about here other than they get a better deal than those who bought the car prior to 2019.
The only people that might benefit if they return the car and buy it again is those who don't want AP or FSD. They can save a little bit by the lower cost in the car, but this is a small group.

4. Those who did not buy either options before the big announcement can pay $5k to get both if they didn't get them when ordering the car.
This was a shocker to me, and most of you think this group raped us early adopters, but to lessen the pain, I think Tesla did this because they feel that these are the people who can't afford the $8k price or don't need AP or FSD. They don't want to spend money on something they don't think it's worth the $8k, so since Tesla will likely get $0 from this group, might as well lower the price to bring in more money for the company. They rather get $5K (which is the same as the FSD price). Tesla considers AP is free or the cost of developing AP has been paid for so it's a no cost to them to give it out for free to this group so they can get the other $5k.

5. Those who bought the car after the big announcement still have to pay $8k for AP + FSD. They get a lower cost in the car but AP & FSD are still more expensive or the same as the early adopters. Tesla can also charge them more if they didn't buy these options during purchase.

So out of the groups above, I feel the people who got the car before 2019 can feel betrayed a bit, but after thinking this out I'm more understanding as of why Tesla does thing the way it is. What would be nice that I think many of us early adopters (2018 and before) can tweet to Elon is to suggest him if he can do one of the following option to us early adopters to lessen the impact are:
a) Give us priority on the next car purchase (e.g., model Y or truck). Those that bought in 2019 or later will be behind us
b) Give us a $1k or $2k credit to the next car purchase (e.g., model Y or truck), accessories or services
c) Give us an invitation to the model Y or truck reveal
d) Free supercharging credit for X months
e) Extended warranty for X months & miles

If you are one of the early adopters (2018 or prior) which options a-e, would you think Tesla can add on to make you less angry?

To your point number 4. Weather Elon thinks those that didn't purchase EAP or FSD couldn't afford them and so ordered their cars without it, thereby now get the biggest and really only deal is outrageous. Those are the people that provided the least amount of support for Tesla during the 2018 model 3 build-out. They now get FSD for $5000, what us EAP purchasers already paid $5000 for, and FSD purchasers paid $8000 for. We are the one that got him to a profitable 2018 forth quarter and virtually saved his bacon - the ones that gave him the biggest profit margins (software is cheap). Now we are the one's being screwed!!! Remember, those that didn't purchase EAP or FSD not only paid less for their cars but paid less sales tax, less, registration, and less insurance and now get FSD for what the rest of us paid or will have to pay way more. Thanks Elon,

This. Having value added on the newer cars is the nature of the game. Are Roadster owners complaining? Are early non-AP S owners? They overpaid (relatively speaking) to help bring us down the cost curve. I benefitted from that when I bought my 3 last year.

Now others are benefitting from my having bought my 3 when I did, by paying a bit less than I did for the same features.

This is fine with me. Even though I don't feel entitled to anything, Tesla is throwing me a bone by dropping the FSD upgrade cost if I want it. Great! It's good for me as I may get it, and it's good for them as they may get money they wouldn't have before.

But at the end of the day, a car is a depreciating asset that improves traditionally with model years. With any other manufacturer, new buyers would be a model year ahead and either getting some features or pricing changes that I'm not. With Tesla, my car has improved in so many ways since I bought it that would not have happened with any other company--and I see real value in that. If the flip side is Tesla does what they need to do to continue improving the business, that also benefits me in the form of a stronger company that can continue to support my vehicle in the years to come.

AND, I just got 15 miles more range AND a 5% peak power boost - Yeah, I’m as mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore!!!! Not.

Did you really get more range or are they just fixing the label for the RWD cars? If it’s just the label they really haven’t done anything for you. If there is news that they are actually implementing something real I’d love to see it.
The performance improvement is definitely exciting though.

Reactions: Lobstahz and TT97

Here's perspective...

Person A buys M3 with EAP for $5k in December 2018
Person B buys M3 with no EAP in December 2018

Person A adds FSD for $2k in March (total cost $7k)
Person B adds AP+FSD for $5k in March (total cost $5k)

This scenario has nothing to do with depreciation. It has to do with early adopters getting penalized. And owning EAP for 2 months does not justify $2k.

I can say the same about the tax credits. Look at Elon's and Tesla's tweets leading up to the end of 2018. All you saw was buy now, the $7,500 tax credit is about to expire. This is your last chance to get the full tax credit and get an M3 at a low price. WRONG! 2019 comes around, tax credit gets halved, and Tesla adjusts prices.

I support Tesla, best car I've ever had, but I'm not naive to their tactics to scare buyers into paying early when they really didn't have to.

And to those who bought the roadster or the first Model S cars... I agree, those are the true early adopters, but those cars were more of a luxury purchase. M3 enters a different class of people, a more affordable car for everyone. When I was in line on day 1 I was surrounded by many friends and people who were taking a risk because not only had they not seen the car, but they did not even know if they could afford a M3, yet they wanted to support Tesla. It is these people who I'm sure do care about a few thousand dollars that could have been saved if they were not led on.

One more note about software just getting cheaper overtime. If that were the case then why is the cost for AP+FSD for new purchases still $8k?

Last edited:
When I bought my 3 last summer, the message was clear:

If you don't buy EAP now, it will cost more later.
If you don't buy FSD now, it will cost more later.

I knew EAP was limited (but the promised features were coming) and FSD wouldn't even be delivered for at least a year, but I also knew from what they said that it would cost even more later. I was investing early in Tesla's technology in return for a discount.

So I paid $5000 for EAP and $3000 for FSD, because I didn't want to have to pay more later. I could even make the reasonable assumption that if I was forced by circumstances to sell the car, I'd have more value in it because I'd pre-purchased the FSD at the discounted pre-release price. After all, they made amply clear that it would cost more later.

And what I paid $8000 for - which has yet to be fully delivered - can now be added on for $5000.

Just to be clear, $5000 is more than than $8000.

It's fair to say I'm not happy with this situation.

To your point number 4. Weather Elon thinks those that didn't purchase EAP or FSD couldn't afford them and so ordered their cars without it, thereby now get the biggest and really only deal is outrageous. Those are the people that provided the least amount of support for Tesla during the 2018 model 3 build-out. They now get FSD for $5000, what us EAP purchasers already paid $5000 for, and FSD purchasers paid $8000 for. We are the one that got him to a profitable 2018 forth quarter and virtually saved his bacon - the ones that gave him the biggest profit margins (software is cheap). Now we are the one's being screwed!!! Remember, those that didn't purchase EAP or FSD not only paid less for their cars but paid less sales tax, less, registration, and less insurance and now get FSD for what the rest of us paid or will have to pay way more. Thanks Elon,

Exactly, well said. Now I regret buying EAP at purchase. Tesla was extremely dishonest advertising that FSD/EAP would cost MORE money after purchasing, not less. It’s a slap in the face to do a 180 degree flip and now offer the customers that opted out of both the biggest discount. I’m definitely not selling my P3D+ (ever) I have the rest of my life to re coop my lost value one free Supercharge at a time. I’m glad I didn’t give that up for $5k

Last edited:
I can't find a vote that matches me.
The only thing I am irritated by is offering 2018 owner's options that are not even close to equitable.
  • 2018 owners who did not support EAP or FSD are rewarded with the option for both for $5K which includes new HW3.0
  • 2018 owners who DID buy EAP already paid $5K+, but are being asked for MORE money to get the same as above?
This inequality is the ONLY thing bothering me. They need to ask more for the first bullet and less for the second. These people are in the same group!

I believe that Tesla has given prior buyers something, when legally they had to give nothing.

Some will come out ahead and other a bit worse off than others, but there should be some gratitude for them easing the pain in an across the board accommodation.

There is no way that Tesla could look at every individual previous purchase and come out with a fair policy that everyone would be happy with, but their solution seems to overall help compensate for early buyers.