Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I feel less angry about the lower EAP + FSD price after thinking this out

What Tesla can do to make the early adopters (2018 and prior) to be less angry?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not only would it be nice, I think it would be the right thing to do - on top of refunding people who bought EAP + FSD 3K back. Naysayers and die-hards can disagree and keep their eyes/ears closed all they want, but there is a reason why there are literally people protesting Tesla right now - and jeez, look at any Tesla forum. Come on Tesla, do the right thing and make this right for early adopters.

There is no making it right. You agreed to a price in a major financial transaction because at the time you were ok with it being vaporware. Now that the price has changed you are not ok with it. That's fine you are entitled to your disappointment but it does not obligate Tesla to do anything for you to "make it right."

You're also getting your hardware installed and access to the features first so enjoy.

EDIT: Those people literally protesting are in Taiwan and they are protesting the massive MSRP drops they received which makes this argument over 1-4k an actual joke.

the rest of your post didn't really change what I was replying to though.

The problem here isn't that products gets cheaper post release- hence why I'm not "complaining" that my exact cars HW is cheaper today than when I bought it. I'd expect that to be the case, and it is. No shock.

The problem is that FSD got cheaper PRE release- and the folks who paid more aren't getting a refund for it. Even though it still hasn't been delivered at all.

Can you tell me any other time that's ever happened? Where a product that doesn't even have an official launch or delivery date yet had a price cut, and people who ordered before the cut still paid the higher price with no difference refund than newer buyers (all of whom got in before a single actual product shipped)?

I hear ya.... But I also know that I specifically avoided buying FSD before it was available, because I knew the market would eventually demand it be offered at a lower price.

I hear ya.... But I also know that I specifically avoided buying FSD before it was available, because I knew the market would eventually demand it be offered at a lower price.

The thing is- if Tesla had gotten to working FSD before anyone else, the price would not only have gone up- it could've gone up a ton- and folks would've lined up to pay it.

If they'd gotten to it the same time as everyone else, or later, then yes, I totally accepted the price could've gone down then.

The problem is it's still an undelivered product and the price is going down- without refunding those who paid more for it but have gotten nothing for it.

This is great! We need more happy threads.

I haven't read the rest of it but I hope the disruptors don't infiltrate and spread their negativity.

Ooops! Looks like I should have read past post #2 before commenting.;)

People just love to complain when someone gets a better deal than they did!

I'm happy I'll be able to buy FSD for only $2K more!

• Disagree
Reactions: SunCharged
The thing is- if Tesla had gotten to working FSD before anyone else, the price would not only have gone up- it could've gone up a ton- and folks would've lined up to pay it.

If they'd gotten to it the same time as everyone else, or later, then yes, I totally accepted the price could've gone down then.

The problem is it's still an undelivered product and the price is going down- without refunding those who paid more for it but have gotten nothing for it.

Exactly. If.

There was no guarantee Tesla would beat anybody to market. That's exactly why I had no interest in buying FSD with my car.

Only if they offered a price protection guarantee.

Nope.

Because in every other pre-order case I can think of, you're always free to cancel the preorder for the undelivered product and just rebuy at the lower price. So typically the seller saves everyone the hassle and just gives you the lower price.

Price protection guarantees are usually a benefit for post delivery of a product. Like "If the price drops within 60 days of you receiving it we will refund the difference" or something.

Tesla hasn't delivered anything yet.

Reactions: ABC2D
Oh I see now.

You didn't get screwed.

You are getting the lower price.

It all makes sense.

I don't feel screwed even though I paid $5,000 for EAP on two different cars in 2018, current purchasers are being offered AP at only $3,000, because I take responsibility for my purchase decisions and realize that the seller owns the goods and technology they are offering. I can take it or leave it at whatever price the seller is asking at the time I make the decision.

Which is why companies have to be nimble with their pricing strategies as market conditions change. And also why I'm shaking my head at all the people who don't know how to take responsibility for their actions.

No, I totally take responsibility for trusting Teslas word. (that buying FSD in advance would be cheaper than buying it later)

Won't make that mistake again.

Fool me once and all that...

Actually, you are not taking responsibility. I knew when I purchased both of my 2018 Model 3's that the price could go up or down in the future. I decided to gamble that I might be able to get it for less or without paying too much more. In other words, I'm not the one claiming Tesla said something they never said.

Why did I know this but you didn't? Because you made an assumption that was not supported by the facts (or by common sense).

Fool yourself once, shame on you, fool yourself twice, shame on you!

Reactions: UngaBunga1989
Actually, you are not taking responsibility.

Actually, I am.

I knew when I purchased both of my 2018 Model 3's that the price could go up or down in the future.

on the car? sure.

My car hardware is thousands cheaper today than when I bought it late last year. 0 complaint on that point. Delivered stuff can get cheaper later.

But on pre-order software that still has not shipped, and told me in writing it would cost more later

Not so much.

It looks like you aren't taking responsibility for failing to read what Tesla actually promised.

In other words, I'm not the one claiming Tesla said something they never said.

But they did say it.

In writing.

So you're factually wrong.

Again.

Seems to be a trend.

Reactions: TT97
I don't feel screwed even though I paid $5,000 for EAP on two different cars in 2018, current purchasers are being offered AP at only $3,000, because I take responsibility for my purchase decisions and realize that the seller owns the goods and technology they are offering. I can take it or leave it at whatever price the seller is asking at the time I make the decision.

Which is why companies have to be nimble with their pricing strategies as market conditions change. And also why I'm shaking my head at all the people who don't know how to take responsibility for their actions.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Of course you don't feel screwed because you haven't yet purchased the product that people feel screwed about. If the price of something you purchased and used goes down....then who cares? So what. That holds true for the car...eap….brakes....steering wheel...whatever.

EAP is NOT the issue. Never has been. EAP has been rolled out - and we are using it. No one has gotten screwed on EAP. No problem with EAP.

The problem is FSD and its price - along with the fact that it hasn't been rolled out to anyone. <-----those points have to remain together in this discussion. Talking about one without the other changes the conversation.

This re-assigning EAP features to FSD is so asinine that it doesn't qualify for the conversation.

ITS FSD. You didn't get screwed on FSD.

Last edited:
ITS FSD. You didn't get screwed on FSD.

I didn't buy FSD at the time of purchase because I knew the prices listed on the Tesla website were current prices. They listed the current price for the options when purchased with the car and current prices for options when not purchased with the car. I did buy EAP at the higher price, I could whine that it's not $2,000 cheaper but that would be dishonorable. I chose not to buy FSD because I wanted to gamble that future prices would the same or less. And I took the risk that the future prices could go up. People who bought FSD locked themselves into the current price.

I guess you could say that I fully understood that all listed prices were current prices (including the listed prices for purchase after the sale).

I'm not sure why I understood this without even thinking hard while you assumed that Tesla was offering a price protection guarantee. They never said they were, so I knew the prices could change as FSD got closer to being ready (up or down). I considered locking myself into the price at the time to protect myself from price raises but, in the end, I decided to risk it and hope that prices dropped.

Now, those who locked themselves into the price offered at the time, want to renege on their purchase/sales agreement. I don't understand that kind of thinking. You made your bed but now you don't want to sleep in it. Had the price of FSD doubled, you would have been patting yourself on the back for locking yourself into the lower price.

• Love
I didn't buy FSD at the time of purchase because I knew the prices listed on the Tesla website were current prices. They listed the current price for the options when purchased with the car and current prices for options when not purchased with the car. I did buy EAP at the higher price, I could whine that it's not $2,000 cheaper but that would be dishonorable. I chose not to buy FSD because I wanted to gamble that future prices would the same or less. And I took the risk that the future prices could go up. People who bought FSD locked themselves into the current price.

I guess you could say that I fully understood that all listed prices were current prices (including the listed prices for purchase after the sale).

I'm not sure why I understood this without even thinking hard while you assumed that Tesla was offering a price protection guarantee. They never said they were, so I knew the prices could change as FSD got closer to being ready (up or down). I considered locking myself into the price at the time to protect myself from price raises but, in the end, I decided to risk it and hope that prices dropped.

Now, those who locked themselves into the price offered at the time, want to renege on their purchase/sales agreement. I don't understand that kind of thinking. You made your bed but now you don't want to sleep in it. Had the price of FSD doubled, you would have been patting yourself on the back for locking yourself into the lower price.

Did you even read my response AT ALL?

You keep trying to make the same point without addressing what I'm saying. I'm only going to reply with a few words so that you won't just pick out one sentence of many to respond to.

Do you understand that we are not just talking about price?

Did you even read my response AT ALL?

You keep trying to make the same point without addressing what I'm saying. I'm only going to reply with a few words so that you won't just pick out one sentence of many to respond to.

Do you understand that we are not just talking about price?

Of course I read your response. In summary, you were saying it's not about EAP, it's about FSD and that since I didn't "get screwed" on FSD I couldn't understand. But I explained that I almost bought FSD at the higher price to "lock myself in at that price". In the end, I decided to take my chances.

But make no mistake, your post was all about price and the fact that FSD hasn't been released yet. Personally, given the disclaimers Tesla provided about the timing of FSD availability, I don't see how you can complain about that. This is simply not a surprise. I saw the timing of FSD roll-out as a purchasing risk, and Tesla listed the timing as a risk, which is another reason I decided not to lock myself into the prices that were current at the time.

Of course I read your response. In summary, you were saying it's not about EAP, it's about FSD and that since I didn't "get screwed" on FSD I couldn't understand. But I explained that I almost bought FSD at the higher price to "lock myself in at that price". In the end, I decided to take my chances.

But make no mistake, your post was all about price and the fact that FSD hasn't been released yet. Personally, given the disclaimers Tesla provided about the timing of FSD availability, I don't see how you can complain about that. This is simply not a surprise. I saw the timing of FSD roll-out as a purchasing risk, and Tesla listed the timing as a risk, which is another reason I decided not to lock myself into the prices that were current at the time.

Ok. thanks. You are exactly right.

I'm also glad to hear that you saw the timing of FSD rollout as a purchasing risk in the past. However I didn't because as many here have done - They trusted Tesla.

There was no historical evidence that anyone could point to that says that TESLA would sell a product - hold the money - and drop the price before you received it. They have NEVER done that before with ANYTHING.

As a matter of fact - Tesla has made up the difference for things a lot more menial than FSD. So....for me it was not just a matter of the price of FSD changing.....I felt safe in that Tesla has done things in the past to make up differences for/.to their customers when there was any IOTA of wrongness about a situation.

Until NOW that was the thought I had about Tesla because I saw it on multiple occasions....but now..... I would ask everyone to allow folks who are experiencing this change in Tesla's ethics and such to express themselves as we have now seen what's really going on concerning this change in Tesla's behavior.

Good for you with your decision, but not for everyone....so can people just vent through their frustration without being vilified by those who aren't experiencing it?