Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I feel less angry about the lower EAP + FSD price after thinking this out

What Tesla can do to make the early adopters (2018 and prior) to be less angry?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also glad to hear that you saw the timing of FSD rollout as a purchasing risk in the past. However I didn't because as many here have done - They trusted Tesla.

I trusted Tesla too. When Tesla listed the timing of FSD as a purchasing risk, I trusted they knew what they were talking about. And I trust Tesla to make good on their promises (even if sometimes late). But I don't see that they made any pricing promising they didn't keep (because those were current prices, not future prices).

I think you can agree, we will never see eye to eye on this so it's not productive to keep complaining that I can't see it your way. I'll never see it your way because I understand how the world works. Maybe if you complain enough Tesla will give you a goodwill price refund. But I would not be in favor of that because I know you wouldn't be writing Tesla another check if the price of FSD goes up in the future (or if it had gone up already).

So let's just drop it.

I missed the "This is TMC, some folks will find anything to be angry about" option
or maybe the "Early adopters who forgot the risks of being an early adopter and got betamax and are still angry about that" option
:p

You seem to not understand that the issue is nobody got anything.

The price went down on a product that has not even been delivered yet and they're not refunding the difference to those who paid the higher price.

That's a world different from dropping prices after delivery- where the early adopters actually got use of the product in the meantime.

Apart from how crappy that is to previous customers, it's a pretty stupid plan for a company who just announced it was going to close many of its retail/sales locations and double down on their "totally rely on word of mouth from our customers" advertising strategy since it's making the word from many of those mouths pretty negative....even dumber to do it right before they're about to ask a whole new batch of folks to risk the early-adoption penalty on a new model since they JUST taught everyone "Buy early from Tesla, get screwed on price"

Reactions: Reeler and ABC2D
Ok. thanks. You are exactly right.

I'm also glad to hear that you saw the timing of FSD rollout as a purchasing risk in the past. However I didn't because as many here have done - They trusted Tesla.

There was no historical evidence that anyone could point to that says that TESLA would sell a product - hold the money - and drop the price before you received it. They have NEVER done that before with ANYTHING.

As a matter of fact - Tesla has made up the difference for things a lot more menial than FSD. So....for me it was not just a matter of the price of FSD changing.....I felt safe in that Tesla has done things in the past to make up differences for/.to their customers when there was any IOTA of wrongness about a situation.

Until NOW that was the thought I had about Tesla because I saw it on multiple occasions....but now..... I would ask everyone to allow folks who are experiencing this change in Tesla's ethics and such to express themselves as we have now seen what's really going on concerning this change in Tesla's behavior.

Good for you with your decision, but not for everyone....so can people just vent through their frustration without being vilified by those who aren't experiencing it?
I imagine it is true that Tesla has never before dropped the price of any presold software or hardware product before it was delivered. I am also unaware of any other examples of presold software or hardware so I don’t know that Tesla had a track record. Wasn’t the presale of FSD unique in that respect?

I do recall a lot of angry people when the S60 to S75 aftersale price dropped from $9000 to $2000 within just a few months of the original pricing strategy. Of course that was on a delivered product but such a quick reduction of $7000 suggests the original price was a rip-off. Did that widely discussed situation suggest to future buyers that Tesla couldn’t be trusted to play games on future firmware/software pricing? Maybe not in your view but it did to me and was a big factor in my declining FSD when I bought my 3 thirteen months ago.

Last edited:
I trusted Tesla too. When Tesla listed the timing of FSD as a purchasing risk, I trusted they knew what they were talking about. And I trust Tesla to make good on their promises (even if sometimes late). But I don't see that they made any pricing promising they didn't keep (because those were current prices, not future prices).

I think you can agree, we will never see eye to eye on this so it's not productive to keep complaining that I can't see it your way. I'll never see it your way because I understand how the world works. Maybe if you complain enough Tesla will give you a goodwill price refund. But I would not be in favor of that because I know you wouldn't be writing Tesla another check if the price of FSD goes up in the future (or if it had gone up already).

So let's just drop it.

That's fine.

Its because I know how the world works that I complain. I don't just "let" the world work. I wouldn't be nearly as far as I am in life if I just "let" the world work.

I imagine it is true that Tesla has never before dropped the price of any software or hardware product presold before it was delivered. I am also unaware of any other examples of presold software or hardware so I don’t know that Tesla had a track record. Wasn’t the presale of FSD unique in that respect?

I do recall a lot of angry people when cost of S60 to S75 aftersale price dropped from $9000 to $2000 within just a few months of the original pricing strategy. Of course that was on a delivered product but such a quick reduction of $7000 suggests the original price was a rip-off. Did that widely discussed situation suggest to future buyers that Tesla couldn’t be trusted to play games on future FSD pricing? Maybe not in your view but it did to me and was a big factor in my declining both EAP and FSD when I bought my 3 thirteen months ago.

I agree.

So let's just drop it.
If the Electrek folks can game the “friends” referral system to get two new Roadsters and yet be the biggest wankers on the block, let’s cut anyone on here a little slack for complaining about this or any other situation.:)

If the Electrek folks can game the “friends” referral system to get two new Roadsters and yet be the biggest wankers on the block, let’s cut anyone on here a little slack for complaining about this or any other situation.:)

I'm not sure what Electrek has to do with people making unfounded accusations that Tesla "lied" or any other complaints for that matter.

I don't like Electrek either but I don't see how they are relevant.

You seem to not understand that the issue is nobody got anything.

The price went down on a product that has not even been delivered yet and they're not refunding the difference to those who paid the higher price.

That's a world different from dropping prices after delivery- where the early adopters actually got use of the product in the meantime.

Apart from how crappy that is to previous customers, it's a pretty stupid plan for a company who just announced it was going to close many of its retail/sales locations and double down on their "totally rely on word of mouth from our customers" advertising strategy since it's making the word from many of those mouths pretty negative....even dumber to do it right before they're about to ask a whole new batch of folks to risk the early-adoption penalty on a new model since they JUST taught everyone "Buy early from Tesla, get screwed on price"
No I completely understand.
I bought EAP at purchase time but now I have to pay to get FSD while someone who didn’t buy either can get both for $5k but have to pay extra.
You folks who got FSD paid even more.
But I’m not angry enough to call the waaaambulance, not even moderately annoyed.
Maybe just a little, but whatever. I can get it now for less than I’d expected.
Would I prefer to pay nothing? Of course.
Do I sympathize for you folks who paid 8k, sure.
But in the end we all knew it was a gamble going in. Face it, who other than Tesla owners would drop 3k on a product intention?
I feel more sorry for the folks who got FSD on a three year lease.