Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I feel less angry about the lower EAP + FSD price after thinking this out

What Tesla can do to make the early adopters (2018 and prior) to be less angry?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we went through the whole pricing issue with the 3P, i corresponded with a few Tesla execs suggesting a credit towards future purchase was the best win-win way to handle price reduction inequities. It generates follow on revenue for Tesla, and it fosters customer loyalty.

I can't find a vote that matches me.
The only thing I am irritated by is offering 2018 owner's options that are not even close to equitable.
  • 2018 owners who did not support EAP or FSD are rewarded with the option for both for $5K which includes new HW3.0
  • 2018 owners who DID buy EAP already paid $5K+, but are being asked for MORE money to get the same as above?
This inequality is the ONLY thing bothering me. They need to ask more for the first bullet and less for the second. These people are in the same group!

Same here. It’s the inequality that bothers me. Maybe i got suckered by all the upset tactics and that’s what upsets me more.

I have EAP on 2 cars and I could have gotten AP on both cars now for less than what i paid for EAP one one??

Can some one do the math for me to show as a 2018 buyer with out EAP or FSD that I can get it all for $5000?

Currently I see its
AP for $4000
FSD for $7000

With a 50% reduction
AP $2000
FSD $3500
For a total of
$5500 before tax.

Can I buy just AP with the price break and wait FSD out until it’s more proven for $3500?

Can some one do the math for me to show as a 2018 buyer with out EAP or FSD that I can get it all for $5000?

Currently I see its
AP for $4000
FSD for $7000

With a 50% reduction
AP $2000
FSD $3500
For a total of
$5500 before tax.

Can I buy just AP with the price break and wait FSD out until it’s more proven for $3500?

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

No guarantee FSD will be available at that price if you wait.

Thanks! Reading comprehension for the win!

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000. In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

No guarantee FSD will be available at that price if you wait.

Well the voting results seem to say that there are not many angry owners out there. Hopefully those voted for the last option fall into the first 2 groups. I'm the 2nd group myself, but I don't think there is many options for Tesla if they don't want to refund the money. If they do refund this round then next year when a better price come out people will come crying again for being ripped off. They have to stop with the refund since that's bad for them. This is why I believe they should throw in some goodies without costing them the full refund amount (e.g. invite to model Y and future reveals)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Performance3D+
Can you please edit your list of solutions and add the most logical choice for most of the 2018 EAP customers. Give them FSD for the $5k already paid, the same price that Tesla is now willing to sell it to customers that passed on both at the time of purchase.

Yea I’d agree here. Give EAP purchasers FSD (or my preference, refund the difference).

I may be in the minority here, but I'm happy to be able to upgrade to FSD for less than my original order price ($3,000) let alone my after delivery price ($4,000) considering there appears to now be something beyond vaporware on the horizon.
Nah...go look over your neighbors fence and ensure you are getting your full entitlement

Can you please edit your list of solutions and add the most logical choice for most of the 2018 EAP customers. Give them FSD for the $5k already paid, the same price that Tesla is now willing to sell it to customers that passed on both at the time of purchase.

That would be ideal but then how would they deal with people that paid $8k already? Like I told you, they will not do any refund. People paying for EAP & FSD already will still complain. They want to do something in between the $5k and $8k for people buying EAP so the $8k people feel less ripped off and that is $7K. They could have lower $1k more but that's likely the cost for the new HW3. Remember they have no obligation to give any of us early adopters with EAP anything. If you want FSD, you need to pay at minimum the HW3 cost + labor. They feel $2k is the right price and stick with it.

Nah...go look over your neighbors fence and ensure you are getting your full entitlement
:rolleyes:

So lets say you bought a Ford F150 in Sept of '17 for List Price. By August of '18, same model year, Ford offers $10,000 rebates/incentives to move the remaining inventory. Are the early buyers upset? No, this is the nature of the automotive industry...
Your missing the point. It's not that pricing has changed it is that it has changed retroactively, but only for certain sets of people, and for on a product that has not even been delivered yet that people paid for.

Tesla has pissed off customers on their own accord. All they had to do was nothing, and leave FSD cost at 8k and no one would be upset. But instead they give it away free for people who bought earlier this year, and offer it at a reduced price for people who didn't purchase FSD or EAP prior. They even went so far as to specifically tell people that it will be more expensive if you didn't purchase it with your car, only to do the EXACT opposite. That's similar to bait and switch.

We have been duped. It has
nothing to do with entitlement.

I have purchased cars before and never been left with a sour taste in my mouth like tesla has created. I would have been much better off just buying another gas car. I don't want to support a company that treats it's customers like Tesla does.

Instead of us complaining, tell me what would you do if you own a business and having people coming to you asking for refund everytime you have something on sale. Tesla needs money to grow. They can't make everyone happy. Next year or a few years from now, I would guarantee that you can buy what you have now for cheaper. It's a continuous cycle and part of life. If you are running Tesla right now, what would you do? I want to hear your solution that doesn't take more cash away from Tesla.

Instead of us complaining, tell me what would you do if you own a business and having people coming to you asking for refund everytime you have something on sale. Tesla needs money to grow. They can't make everyone happy. Next year or a few years from now, I would guarantee that you can buy what you have now for cheaper. It's a continuous cycle and part of life. If you are running Tesla right now, what would you do? I want to hear your solution that doesn't take more cash away from Tesla.

I'd probably tell people something like "Gofe Ock Urzelf", but that might be one of those reasons I get hidden away in a back room at work.