Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I feel less angry about the lower EAP + FSD price after thinking this out

What Tesla can do to make the early adopters (2018 and prior) to be less angry?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of us complaining, tell me what would you do if you own a business and having people coming to you asking for refund everytime you have something on sale. Tesla needs money to grow. They can't make everyone happy. Next year or a few years from now, I would guarantee that you can buy what you have now for cheaper. It's a continuous cycle and part of life. If you are running Tesla right now, what would you do? I want to hear your solution that doesn't take more cash away from Tesla.
I already did ;) Don't discount the software for random groups of people. Let it stay at 8k. If Tesla wants to be nice, then offer the 8k price to people after their purchases but before the restructure (using the new pricing).

Same here. It’s the inequality that bothers me. Maybe i got suckered by all the upset tactics and that’s what upsets me more.

I have EAP on 2 cars and I could have gotten AP on both cars now for less than what i paid for EAP one one??

Same boat, paid $5k for EAP in April 2018, now for $5k you get EAP+FSD. Would be nice to upgrade all first production cars with EAP to FSD...

I already did ;) Don't discount the software for random groups of people. Let it stay at 8k. If Tesla wants to be nice, then offer the 8k price to people after their purchases but before the restructure (using the new pricing).
But they need money and can get more takers with the $5k than keeping the $8k. I think their sale department thought of this before making the change. Are you saying that Tesla should never lower their AP + FSD forever? They feel the $5k is the right price now and that will benefit the future buyers. They might have overestimated the total cost back then and we have to pay for that.

Teslarati did a great recap of the price differences depending on when and what you bought at time of buying your car. If you want both offers, I don't know how much of difference there is ultimately unless you never ordered it to begin with and then I still see you paying a premium for not getting on board sooner, so in essence still rewarding earlier adopters. Here's the article with the chart:

Tesla (Enhanced) Autopilot vs. Full Self-Driving: What's the difference now?

My car was delivered with EAP on 9/2018. At the time I ordered it on 6/2018 EAP was $5K and FSD at that time was $3K so if both had been ordered my cost would have been $8K. For me to now add FSD would cost me $2K (with this newly announced introduction discount--still appears as $3K in my Account upgrade list and supposedly going down in April), so my total for both would be $7K. Saving me $1K over ordering both at the time of my order. Not a huge amount but a savings nonetheless if I order soon. As I see it basically Tesla has swapped the EAP of $5K and FSD of $3K for AP of $3K (soon to be $2K) and FSD of $5K.

As I read the pricing structure, those who didn't order AEP prior or order AP now before their car is delivered will pay a premium price for being late to the game should they want to add them after delivery (AP $4K and FSD $7K).

Nothing to say this all won't change as we get closer to a real FSD Level 4-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrGrPa
To me, it sounds like you're going to get Full Self Driving for free.

Not by my calculation. I paid $5500 a few weeks ago for EAP and will have to pay another $2K to get FSD. It would be nice to have pricing for FSD to at least remain at that amount until they get some capability for the FSD so I can at least decide at that time. Stop sign and traffic light recognition are not worth $2K, but I would gladly pay that to be able to not have to keep my hands on the wheel.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm happy to be able to upgrade to FSD for less than my original order price ($3,000) let alone my after delivery price ($4,000) considering there appears to now be something beyond vaporware on the horizon.
Actually, it'll be cheaper than that, it will only cost $2k to upgrade to FSD. I'm also pleased that I'll get the option to upgrade to FSD for half the price I thought it'd cost. Not to mention the 5% increase in power and 15 miles extra range.

That said, I do think that it would be fair to refund $1k (or alternatively Tesla credit) to anyone who prepaid for FSD AND give them the early access program, too.

So lets say you bought a Ford F150 in Sept of '17 for List Price. By August of '18, same model year, Ford offers $10,000 rebates/incentives to move the remaining inventory. Are the early buyers upset? No, this is the nature of the automotive industry...

The difference here is that in August, I paid $8000 for EAP and FSD because I was clearly told that if I did not buy at signing, it would cost $2000 more to add it later. I assumed that if I waited for years, the software would get cheaper - it always does, right? - but they made clear this feature would cost more. So I bought it. Instead, it would have cost me $3000 less.

Also, they're not moving any inventory with this. They'll save no carrying or storage cost, and this takes nothing off their books. They're flipping a software setting for the EAP part, and delivering nothing (at time of sale) for the FSD part.

I understand their need to raise cash they wouldn't otherwise raise, but let's not pretend this is the same as missing a sale on unsold inventory.

Anytime I have preordered something like FSD and they lower the price before it is delivered, I get the benefit of that lower price. All that ordered FSD should get a refund or store credit because of the lower price before any delivery. Tesla dollars good for supercharging, trinkets, service, extended warranties, etc.

Reactions: TT97
All they had to do was nothing, and leave FSD cost at 8k and no one would be upset.

Forever? There is simply no way that was going to happen in a competitive market. Other inexpensive cars include TACC, and some do autosteer. Other manufacturers are moving forward on increased autonomy. You simply can't charge $5K to get TACC/Autosteer and $8K for FSD while the industry continues to move forward. Price reductions were and are inevitable. And they aren't done yet.

It is up to the consumer to decide what a thing is worth at the time of purchase, and to either buy it or not.

Wow, An awful lot of whining, greedy people post on this board. If you’d only stop looking in OTHER people’s pockets and look your own deal you should be thrilled.

Allow me, because according to so much of what I have read I am in the category of “most” screwed as related to the changes in EAP and FSD. I received my car 12/28/18 - a fully optioned M3P with EAP (for $5k). At the time I bought the car I was happy with my deal and thought i’d need to pony-up ANOTHER $5k to jump to FSD later if I ever wanted it. That was my deal and that is what I signed on for.

Since then — just looking at my OWN deal and not greedily looking in others’ pockets, my car will have a 5% performance boost AND I can buy FSD for $3k LESS. Yeah, I really got “screwed.” Man, I wish I could cut deals like that all day long - where the other parties to my transactions just make my deal better without me doing anything!

Get real folks. When in the history of your car purchases have you had “more” car for the price that you already paid? Yes others may have paid less, but EVERY Model 3 owner has more car once the performance bump hits than they bargained for.

Forever? There is simply no way that was going to happen in a competitive market. Other inexpensive cars include TACC, and some do autosteer.

Neither of which were ever part of FSD- so not sure how that's relevant? (Also those features mostly suck on other cars compared to Tesla)

They 'fixed" the competition issue by switching from 5k for EAP and 3k for FSD to 3k for AP and 5k for FSD.

People who wanted the 2 most basic features cheaper could now get em- and people who wanted the fancy stuff still could, at the same net price as before.

No problem there at all.

And probably letting existing EAP folks upgrade for the pre-purchase 3k would've had (relatively) few complaints under the circumstances- they're still not paying a lot less for what's essentially a pre-order.

But what they've done now is make it so the folks who "pre-ordered" (and still haven't gotten anything for it) will have been charged MORE than people who are ordering today (for what, again, remains a pre-order)[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Jeffers0n
Neither of which were ever part of FSD- so not sure how that's relevant? (Also those features mostly suck on other cars compared to Tesla)

They 'fixed" the competition issue by switching from 5k for EAP and 3k for FSD to 3k for AP and 5k for FSD.

People who wanted the 2 most basic features cheaper could now get em- and people who wanted the fancy stuff still could, at the same net price as before.

No problem there at all.

And probably letting existing EAP folks upgrade for the pre-purchase 3k would've had (relatively) few complaints under the circumstances- they're still not paying a lot less for what's essentially a pre-order.

But what they've done now is make it so the folks who "pre-ordered" (and still haven't gotten anything for it) will have been charged MORE than people who are ordering today (for what, again, remains a pre-order)

You only quoted part of my post. I was addressing both people who purchased EAP and people who purchased FSD.

Bottom line is thay software always gets cheaper. I would never pre-order software that may be years away for a fixed price. Competition always wins.

You only quoted part of my post. I was addressing both people who purchased EAP and people who purchased FSD.

Bottom line is thay software always gets cheaper. I would never pre-order software that may be years away for a fixed price. Competition always wins.

the rest of your post didn't really change what I was replying to though.

The problem here isn't that products gets cheaper post release- hence why I'm not "complaining" that my exact cars HW is cheaper today than when I bought it. I'd expect that to be the case, and it is. No shock.

The problem is that FSD got cheaper PRE release- and the folks who paid more aren't getting a refund for it. Even though it still hasn't been delivered at all.

Can you tell me any other time that's ever happened? Where a product that doesn't even have an official launch or delivery date yet had a price cut, and people who ordered before the cut still paid the higher price with no difference refund than newer buyers (all of whom got in before a single actual product shipped)?

the rest of your post didn't really change what I was replying to though.

The problem here isn't that products gets cheaper post release- hence why I'm not "complaining" that my exact cars HW is cheaper today than when I bought it. I'd expect that to be the case, and it is. No shock.

The problem is that FSD got cheaper PRE release- and the folks who paid more aren't getting a refund for it. Even though it still hasn't been delivered at all.

Can you tell me any other time that's ever happened? Where a product that doesn't even have an official launch or delivery date yet had a price cut, and people who ordered before the cut still paid the higher price with no difference refund than newer buyers (all of whom got in before a single actual product shipped)?
It happens with video games, but that is also why people are learning not to pre-order. I do think that since FSD was never actually released people who bought it ahead of time should get a price match.

It happens with video games

When?

Any time I've pre-ordered a game I could always either get the lower price if it dropped before delivery (IIRC amazon preorders guaranteed that)- or simply cancel the pre-order and place a new one for the same thing at lower price.

It
I do think that since FSD was never actually released people who bought it ahead of time should get a price match.

Exactly my point.

I'd have been find if they'd decided they're going to stop UPcharging newer FSD buyers and just gave them the same price as "at time of car purchase" price... it's that they're letting newer buyers in CHEAPER for a product that still hasn't "shipped" while not refunding the difference to early preorders that is crap.

Same boat, paid $5k for EAP in April 2018, now for $5k you get EAP+FSD. Would be nice to upgrade all first production cars with EAP to FSD...

Not only would it be nice, I think it would be the right thing to do - on top of refunding people who bought EAP + FSD 3K back. Naysayers and die-hards can disagree and keep their eyes/ears closed all they want, but there is a reason why there are literally people protesting Tesla right now - and jeez, look at any Tesla forum. Come on Tesla, do the right thing and make this right for early adopters.

• Love
Reactions: CTreast
4.0s would be great but I think it is 5.0s vs 5.1s previously which is just a rounding error.

If they give original RWD FSD purchasers 4.0s 0-60, I will be very very happy.
My favorite idea to alleviate some of the frustration due to lost value is to issue a software update to 2018 and early 2019 vehicles ("original edition"?) that permanently increases max acceleration by a fixed amount. This doesn't cost Tesla a dime upfront and could result in a lot of satisfied owners.

Reactions: CheekiTiki